How the fuck is this allowed?

How the fuck is this allowed?

For clarification, there is no attachment. I have no idea what hardware they intend to install. They're coming here this week, likely when I'm at work so I can't even be there to tell them to fuck off.

Attached: WeAreTakingYourModem.png (981x416, 29.26K)

>likely when I'm at work
and how are they planning to enter your home then?

That e-mail is from my landlord. They are the one approving the installation in every unit.

>rentcuck
sorry, it's not your apartment then

Right but my things are my things is the whole point. I don't care if they just install some shit on the wall but the mail implies that they're going to remove my modem to put this one in permanently without my consent.

Then it is allowed, as annoying as it is. Legally, all they have to do is tell you in advance. Whether you object or not doesn't matter, they'll make it happen regardless of if it inconveniences you or not. And if you don't like it, they'll kick you out and not give your deposit back.
Many such cases. Lots of apartments out there with constant construction going on, they'll come into your unit and tear up floorboards, cause constant vibrations and loud noises at night, etc.
One thing they often do is advertise amenities on the listing that aren't actually available yet, so you move in expecting that amenity and all you get is construction noise.

then tell your landlord that it's your modem
leave a message next to the modem that it's your property
unplug your modem and store it on the day of installation

>taking their own modem back but not your personal modem

WHY AREN'T YOU HAPPY user? YOU'LL GET A FREE MODEM. BE HAPPY.

Attached: 1660484910130.png (835x566, 357.6K)

Do you guys have no rights in the US? Pretty sure that shit is illegal in the EU if it is your own service.

>BOG-ID

Attached: 1657971996691.jpg (900x900, 81.82K)

>Lots of apartments out there with constant construction going on, they'll come into your unit and tear up floorboards, cause constant vibrations and loud noises at night, etc.
>One thing they often do is advertise amenities on the listing that aren't actually available yet, so you move in expecting that amenity and all you get is construction noise.
Do Americans really...?

In my country (in Northern Europe) landlords aren't even allowed to have keys to your apartment (unless you specifically allow it, and they can't require that in the contract, as far as I know). They definitely can't just enter or let someone in all willy nilly. Unless you have given your notice that you will be moving out soon, because then you legally have to let the apartment be available to show to future tennants Xnumber of hours a week, but are allowed to schedule that around work hours in a reasonable way. Rant over.

Indeed, very often. A lot of apartment websites allow for scrubbing reviews by abusing report functions, I've also seen a lot of fake reviews on sites. Google Reviews are usually pretty accurate though. Some people just flip out and make things up or whatever, but most horror stories you see on there are absolutely real.
Big agencies are the worst. I've seen apartments where everyone has been complaining about a fire alarm going off randomly at night for YEARS and they have never fucking fixed it. Saw another with the same problem and a resident had to go to a doctor because she lost hearing from it.
And they can (and do) lie about amenities constantly. Especially on new buildings. Stuff that you won't be there for years gets advertised. Most have 3D renders for the images they use on listings.
And then of course there's the fact that you have to PAY ($50 if you're lucky, often around $200) for the privilege to apply, where you also have to give them your SSN and have them search it. Then if that goes through, you have to pay the admin fee, security deposit, some have moving fees, storage fees, parking fees, etc.
It is legitimately competitive to get into these places too, you can be denied just because you have no prior rental history, which makes no sense.
Bit of a rant, but people often talk about the housing market in America. It's really not just that. It's shelter in general. Shoebox apartments in non-major cities going for around $1000 on average. I feel for the next generation.

>Then it is allowed
Europoor here (DK), and that shit is absolutely not allowed, unless agreed upon beforehand. I rent, and nobody has keys to this place but me. lmao'ing at your lives rn.

Attached: 1615292223557.jpg (1122x1122, 432.71K)

Not true. There's such a thing as "Right of quiet enjoyment", which means your landlord can't simply let themselves in for routine purposes, nor can they be doing shit like night time construction.
Since OP's email is about a contractor service that is not essential to the maintenance or upkeep of his apartment, he can simply tell them that he does not wish to have his modem upgraded and he will not allow entry into his apartment. If this were about an electrical inspection or plumbing repair, that would be different, but this affects nothing besides an optional service for his unit.

Nope. Maybe it exists in written law or something but it is never, ever in practice. For one, these big agencies have big money, and big lawyers. They can pay off anyone they want, or just make you go bankrupt in court.
Most local officials are just told by the agency that they're making improvements that will drive more interest and income to the city, so they let it happen.
All they have to do is warn you in advance, nothing else. If you refuse, they will kick you out and someone else will be right there to take your place.

It's all a symptom of the fact that most places in the US have had far below the required amount of new housing constructed in the past 15 years. None of this would be happening if there were other options for people.
As for why housing construction has been so low:
- Zoning laws banning anything that's not a 2000+ sq. ft single family home with a sizeable front and back yard
- NIMBY's voting out new construction in their neighborhoods
- 2008 real estate disaster put a ton of builders out of business
- Needlessly difficult building codes
- In some areas, excessive permit costs

>In some areas, excessive permit costs
This one I was shocked at recently. In my rural Pennsyltucky (400 people) town, a building permit of any size is $5.
I was talking to a friend in cleveland who had been charged over $1000 in permits and inspections just to build a 10x12 unelectrified shed!

The thing is that nobody takes them to court over it. When I rented, the landlord company started to get butthurt after I told them to cool it with the short notice BS visits. All the whining about "your lease says xyz and we have the right to do this and that" stopped real quick after I suggested that I explain to the local magistrate what they were doing.

Thank god I don't live in a city nor rent anymore. As long as I pay the property tax, nobody bothers me.

These are all good points. NIMBYs elect other NIMBYs and nothing but expensive copy-paste McMansion neighborhoods can get built. There's also a lot of old people with money to throw around that refuse to let anything in the city change because they couldn't handle the change, emotionally. Even if they're told it would increase their own property values and what not, they don't care. Muh emotional attachment

Tenancy laws here in burgerland vary from state-to-state and have unique clauses depending on the type of housing.
Typically, if there's a violation enacted on by your landlord, there's usually a clause that gives the tenant the right to withhold rent that month or to terminate the lease with security deposit reimbursement.
As far as entry to the property is concerned, they're legally required to deliver due advance notice with a reason and a reasonable time. The exception to this is that something unusual has happened and involves a wellness check (you hung yourself), or you're acting the mickey by hiding drugs in the walls.
That's why it's always important to review your state's/country's tenancy laws, and to read the fine print on the paperwork you sign as part of your lease agreement.
Housing in the States is a bitch because you have to pay to (((apply))) for apartment rentals, (((then))) they do background checks on anything that may affect their profit or reputation (credit, income, criminal record, etc.), and (((then))) they have the opportunity to reject your application or approve it - expecting a security deposit, last month's rent, current month's rent, and sometimes the following month's rent in advance.
If that sounds terrific, just wait until it happens to be your day off from work. You can't relax until your landlord or their lackeys do what they say they were needing to do.
On the toilet taking a shit or in the shower when they come a-knockin'?
You don't answer; they have the keys.

>around ten minutes
Your work will understand.

Ayyy, another PAnon. My next move is to buy 20+ acres or so somewhere around Beaver county.
It's even worse in places like California. I regularly hear from people out there that spend $25k+ in permits before even being allowed to put a shovel in the ground.

Huntingdon County lol
Already own 42. Land == freedom for the most part. Founders knew what they were talking about. Of course prop tax should be abolished immediately but at least its only $800/yr for me

>Acting the mickey

Attached: tumblr_mjoxjxMnrF1ro45pwo1_500.jpg (500x277, 40.18K)

#1 reason to either change the locks, install a door bolt, or both.

Attached: brassbolt.jpg (800x800, 67.38K)

So xfinity can just come in and grab your modem and force a new one on you anytime they want if you rent an apartment? lol

checked
>A lot of apartment websites allow for scrubbing reviews
THIS!
Where I live, the complex has their employees give the establishment 5-star reviews, and finds ways to scrub critical and negative reviews.
For instance, there was a review about the complex not evicting tenants threatening murder and breaking their windows. Some kid got murdered, investigation started, press got involved, and suddenly that 1-star review vanished.
They also can change their leasing availability without proper warning. Paid rent for the current month, next month rolls around, "we're looking to sell the unit. either buy it in full/get suckered in a rent2own agreement, or get out by the end of the month."