DVDs

Why are they still used? Blue Ray came out in 2006 and has far more storage plays higher quality audio and colors YET the DVD is a more popular format?

What happened and why have people not switched to the new format

Attached: DVD_logo.png (5000x2548, 150.5K)

DVD has more s o u l
You zoomers wouldn't understand

Am I zoomer and have only ever used DVDs

Most zoomers don't have a physical disk its all digtal with them

Attached: 3x.gif (112x108, 72.22K)

DvDs are cheap. They work. And they haven't been obsolesced manufacturers. BluRay has a higher storage capacity but the price vs dvd keeps me from investing any money into it (I don't own a bluray drive yet).

The move from VHS to DVD was major. There really wasn't any alternative and jump in technology was noticeable by plebs (no rewinding, dvd menus, dvd extras, better quality, more durable). The jump from DvD to BR was less exciting for plebs...plus streaming. Zoomers don't like buying physical media. Meanwhile luddites like myself use dvds for data backups.

>DvDs are cheap
So are blurays

$9 for DVD, $10 for bluray, $17 for UHD bluray.

And sure, you CAN find outliters to this, but generally films are pretty similar, even new releases the difference in price is usually ~$10 between 1080p and 4k bluray, and usually only a couple bucks between bluray and DVD.

Attached: 1644999850102.png (804x303, 231.95K)

Attached: 1635129935343.png (851x419, 351.56K)

Attached: 1650053146449.png (857x328, 182.24K)

Backwards compatibility with 10-20 year old hardware that refuses to die. It's the same reason why killing H.264 from 2003 and JPEG from 1992 has become such a long drawn out war. It's actually a testament to the quality of electronics from that era.

Additionally there are reports of DVDs having HIGHER quality than what streaming services offer. Though things like AV1 will fix this soon(tm).

The quality difference between vhs to dvd was huge vs the quality from dvd to blue ray

That's because a lot of these cockscuking movie companies upscaled their DVD releases to 1080p. Native 1080p movies is day and night difference compared to DVD.

but why would anyone do that?
if those are filmed on film and not tape, can't you just make native 4k from that?

You can, but it's more expensive and time-consuming.

That also assumes the original film was kept around to be scanned.

Bigger studios usually keep archives of that stuff, but plenty of stuff just gets tossed, especially things that weren't a massive success at the box office.

It's not more popular per se. DVD was king of the hill and then Bluray came along, but then Netflix and streaming came along before Bluray had a chance to fully surpass DVD. Now you got a ton of left over DVD collections that most people aren't watching and everyone else is streaming except for the few discerning people who want to own Bluray and 4K Bluray.

Bump

They're a lot less patent laden/copyright protected than Blu-Rays. You can get a PC DVD burner for $20 and a download VLC to watch your DVDs. Can't do that with Blu-Ray.

>Can't do that with Blu-Ray.
Sure you can, the drive costs $40-60 instead of $20. But otherwise it's the same.

Download VLC, download the AACS keys and put them in the key folder, and play your discs.

UHD bluray is a bit trickier usually requiring ripping it to MKV first, but it's not that difficult and if you can't be fucked it's piss easy to find both 1080p and UHD bluray remuxes online.

DVD came out in a time where most people couldn't use the internet to download an amount of data in a reasonable time. Bluray came out when companies were making the first steps to turn things into digital downloading

i haven't held a dvd in years

Furthermore, at the time the difference in image quality between DVD and Bluray could be considerable, but not to the point that would matter to the consumer. Unless you had cutting edge displays at 720p or 1080p, you wouldn't notice much difference. So most people didn't feel the need to change

anime doesn't follow this rule, unfortunately.

There is almost no anime in actual 4k anyway

At best they're using 720p or 1080p art and upscaling to 4k.

In some rare cases they might use something weird like 1440p source art, but I couldn't say for sure.

AFAIK, the only ACTUAL source 4k anime is the netflix tech demonstration short film "Sol Levante"

Attached: 1642284888793.jpg (3837x2158, 1.64M)