Ay b, realistically what would I need to start coding? Have 700 bucks in my bank account...

Ay b, realistically what would I need to start coding? Have 700 bucks in my bank account, live in the west coast of the US and am a high school dropout that got his ged.

Attached: 1655984118111.jpg (1024x923, 97.63K)

Asking any coding bros, any IT department guys and anyone in general that works in tech what a high school dropout neurotic idiot like me needs to go from working class worker with time on his hands to tech bro

You need a computer, preferable with internet, and a compiler installed.

A computer, doesn't even have to be that powerful unless you need to setup VMs for many different systems.
An idea, what you wanna build.
Access to the internet.
There are countless guides and tutorials on all kinds of different languages and frameworks out there.

Compiler
Is that cmd command or something on windows?
Illiterate monkey here but was thinking about buying a portable hotspot. Have a lot of free time.
Chromebook sufficient? Kinda iffy about chromebooks, they seem one dimensional, I need something versatile and capable

P.S. but if you are not good at math/ logic puzzles you should rather look for another job

yeah gimme a minute

Ill force it if need be. I may not be a genius but I am a monkey, ill monkey it if i have to. Trial and error.
Excellent

>that cmd command or something on windows
just go to trade school

>Chromebook sufficient?
For some things, theoretically yes.
But if you wanna work with a real language instead of web stuff you'll need a real PC with Linux or windows. And if you wanna do apps for iOS you'll actually need a Windows PC strong enough to setup a Mac VM on the side.

>Trial and error.
That's how you setup hobby projects. But not something serious.

A compiler turns raw source code into executable programs.

>I am a monkey, ill monkey it if i have to. Trial and error.
Oh my god, just go clean toilets, software engineering is not for you.

Listen, I said i would monkey it. Im asking you guys, anons. Ill figure out the rest somehow.
Real pc. What price range we talking?
Okay. I said I was illiterate and a monkey, I will figure it out.
You mean id need a fundamental understanding of the basics in order for something serious? Akin to theory and actual understanding of the framework?
Did not know.
No, u. Id imagine it would take some time for me to learn, as one would with anything. We all start from somewhere.

You need work ethic. You may aswell give up if you're on b

But were all on b.

Exactly

Ok. No u

just be the thing you are trying to make the computer do, also if u do code get rdy to live in a brokendown suv with 20 chinks/indians

I've got my cushy programming job doing the bare fucking minimum to collect my paycheck. Thank god for strong European labour law or I'd have been fired a long time ago. Since covid and WFH came in I do maybe a day's worth of work a week. Pretty sure my boss has worked it out and just gives me odd stuff to do because firing me is too hard

Now you know, so you know all that you need to start making programs, and yes your phone is a computer and there are compilers made to run on phone operating systems.

dunno what you mean by 'tech bro', or why that is admirable

if you want to start coding, just get fucking serious about it and expect to spend a couple of years on it before you reach a productive level that can be used a serious work environment

online courses really are fine, as long as you realize that after finishing the course you'll have no clue besides knowing some fundamentals and a few coding patters that likely don't even match your personal style.

find a project you really want to work on, and work on it for many months and many iterations after you finish your course. you might reach a point where you're not ashamed of your code and fully understand what you are doing

don't listen to the guys who say 'web stuff' is not real. javascript is a hugely popular language you can use for 'web stuff', but just as well for building apps (using react native, for example) or server side applications running on nodejs

good luck, bro

Start with the web, it's more accessible.

Try with Ruby. It's friendly, readable and there are plenty of resources around.

Register to codecademy and try the first Ruby lessons (I believe they are free).

>Ruby
Lol. OP needs to learn python and get into data engineering

This guy has a solid point for everyone trying to get into dev. Find out what you want to do first, i.e. Mobile/Web/Backend. YouTube/Google/Stack Overflow will have your back covered 99% of the time. If you're looking for a structured course I personally recommend udemy but you should be able to get something on youtube as well. Secondly take any IT job you can get with the potential to grow, as a high school dropout I started as a PA for some devs, moved over to support and eventually became a developer.

Tech "bro" not being a jock kinda guy but a bro, a dude who you can relate to but isnt a dumbass.
I figured it will take some time, it wont happen in one day, it is gradual but I am the simpleton that doesnt know, that is why I ask. I want to turn my self from low level idiot to decent income capable and self sufficient worker. It will take time.
Yes, it is a computer and a tv in your hand. But thats as far as I know.
Im in the US so ill have to do it, ill have to work my way up, crawl out of the abyss. Good for you non sarcastically for the cushy job. I know I want that
As long as I can work my way up

I dont know what exactly what I want to do, just a general idea. When I imagine coding, I imagine a guy on a computer just slaving away, not literally but trying to figure out how to get from point a to point b. Very vague but that should be an indicator as to my knowledge or lack thereof. I dont know what port ill dock but I know I want to cross the ocean and what general direction it is.

>I will figure it out.
>You mean id need a fundamental understanding of the basics in order for something serious?
Yes but not just once, but over and over again. As a software engineer you learn new stuff almost daily. Have to read documentation and understand it. So you can translate this to your code. While also developing and keeping track of your own code and architecture. As soon as you leave the paved path of easy tutorials. You'll have to analyze and break down problems into smaller cuncks until you are able to translate it to code. This is the main work of a programmer, writing the actual code is like 10% of what I do. This is not a skill you can learn once and then go work on autopilot. If you are lacking basic logic thinking, you are lacking on 90% of what the job actually is.

>I know I want that
Find somewhere that's hiring a programmer where the people managing said person know exactly 0 about what you do. It helps when you're bs-ing time frames, sitting on work that took you 5 minutes for days and generally fucking about with excuses using technical jargon. You'll get paid less but do sweet FA

>But thats as far as I know.
No, you also know that a computer with a compiler is all you need to start coding, so go start coding and stop with the idle chit chat already.

well you could go apply to work on a moonbase. just get on up there start by holding your breath for really long times and you'll make it eventually..

>No, u.
Wow you sound really mature.
>Id imagine it would take some time for me to learn, as one would with anything. We all start from somewhere.
Yeah but it makes a difference if you start with the main ability needed or without.
Every trainees abilities (of the trainees I had so far) were directly proportional to their math grade. That's why I don't take any trainees with less than a B in math anymore.

>Ay b, realistically what would I need to start coding? Have 700 bucks in my bank account, live in the west coast of the US and am a high school dropout that got his ged.
some motivation, any computer, internet access. nothing else.

there are cloud services for that. a $5 pc is enough to start.

>directly proportional to their math grade
It's directly proportional with their ability to solve logic problems which is essentially math. You could screen quite effectively with a problem where the intuitive approach doesn't work

>Implying coding isn't trial and error
I'd say otherwise. Especially if you have to work with someone else's poorly documented project

Math is only good for logical thinking, sure it's a good indicator but I did math lit in school before dropping out, currently training and mentoring grads that don't get that right.

Seems like I opened a can of worms but got to take it one concept at a time. Thank u for the input. Seriously.
Moot point disregarded immaturely. No u isnt meant to be mature, it is meant to just not takeit that seriously.
Itll be some time before I ever reach a level of proficiency that is at best good enough to be considered half decent. It wont happen in one day. There will be a learning curve and it will be difficult at times, i am not expecting it to be handed to me..id have to work at it