Just How Much Data Does Microsoft Collect On You Exactly?

And is the outrage even warranted considering you can just disable it all when you are setting up the OS for the first time?

Attached: privacy-1.jpg (1200x899, 115.87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

betanews.com/2016/06/10/microsoft-visual-studio-2015-c-compiler-telemetry/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>you can just disable it all
wrong, and that's the problem

Lots. You send MS telemetry whenever you change a setting.

>wrong
it's true though but i guess you're too fucking stupid to look for outgoing connections on your LAN's firewall

its microsoft you cant trust that because you checked a box its actually disabled they got caught sneaking telemetry into software compiled with their compiler also

shit that never happened

correct, you can disable the tracking by turning your internet off... unfortunately if you want to actually use the internet without a whitelist you have no way of knowing whether you have caught and blocked all endpoints Windows may use, if Windows were to use some endpoints infrequently you would be unable to block them

are you really going to sit there for days waiting for endpoints to reveal themselves? what happens if certain endpoints are only used while many applications are using the internet?

Not much because I use Loonix.

This is your brain on using a mac for so long you've forgotten how layer 7 firewalls work

not user, just looked it up: betanews.com/2016/06/10/microsoft-visual-studio-2015-c-compiler-telemetry/
i have no way of verifying this and havent read half the article

not a macfag but feel free to enlighten me, if i wrote a piece of software which only used an endpoint once a week during high network activity would you catch it? without a whitelist specifically

I use LTSC and have everything I could find privacy-related disabled and I still don't trust that I'm completely free of surveillance... Educating myself with Linux syntax / practices for my inevitable switch.

Attached: 1647831441687.png (379x369, 181.14K)

oh so you know every IP that microsoft owns? cause i doubt you run your own DNS server. Even if you did, microsoft uses some domains for updates and telemetry, so guess goodbye updates.
and dont say just use common sense because microsoft is a security nightmare thanks to its 8 trillion services open to the internet (among other reasons) and without updates you will get attacked unless you just turn the internet off

even if you stop most of them, god forbid they sneak in new ips or domains you don't know about, which you wont because they can add them overnight and you almost certainly wont learn about them that fast

That did actually happen. You could see from the debug output of the compiler it adding in a telemetry dll.

>I use LTSC
>that pic
Posted wrong pic?

layer 7 firewalls don't need to care about endpoints because they can just stop individual (or all) binaries from using the network.

>block all outbound connections from your windows machine aside from those originating from the applications you actually use
>double check with your separate firewall gateway if there's some weird outbound connection
>protip: doesn't happen
fucking retards

Shami's a smart girl, she knows the best version.

Attached: Machikado Mazoku - Shamismart.webm (594x1058, 292.24K)

Gonna go against the grain here:

When you setup Windows, *most* features that would negatively affect your privacy can be disabled (see OP's screenshot).

It is true that some privacy violations cannot reasonably be stopped and are integral to the OS. However, unless you are doing something illegal or you're a schizophrenic, it's not something 95% of users really need to concern themselves with. It's mostly data relating to system performance and settings that Microsoft uses for optimization/feature planning.

This is NOT to say that privacy isn't a concern -- it is. I'm just saying it's not something that will really harm you so long as you intend to use Windows for legal/banal stuff, which 99.9% of its userbase will.

Some actual problems:
- Most Microsoft applications use some form of telemetry.
- The OS has various backdoors that can (and have) been used by law enforcement to bypass passwords, encryption, etc.

Keep in mind, though, that most modern CPUs possess similar backdoors anyway, so...whatever

none if you disable this service

Attached: Untitled.png (1920x1080, 455.77K)

so this is all client-side? interesting but i certainly wouldnt trust it
you dodged anons main point: "microsoft uses some domains for updates and telemetry, so guess goodbye updates"
security theater

That user was correct. You cannot disable telemetry in the OS entirely, and even when you disable it to a certain extent, it will break Windows Update.

>security theater
I did a wireshark, and I watched it, and it transmits no data once you disable it. Do it yourself if you don't believe me.

wtf, how would they get away adding telemetry to confidential government software? That's crazy.

I did this and windows forgot my license and started asking me to activate windows...

Because something like 80% of all desktops run Windows. What are they going to do? Switch to an OS they don't know how to use?

>you dodged anons main point
no user you just can't read, "applications you actually use" implies windows update domains if you use them
good thing kms runs locally :^)

LTSC IoT is almost there, your feet are still dirty yet it pales to using Windows 10 Home where you are caked in mud knee deep with telemetry

that analogy made me horny for some reason

Attached: z2qhq8mxig591.png (960x488, 103.44K)

yes, they switched to android and iphones and ipads ages ago

Truly confidential work is done on air-gapped networks.

basically everything in your computer. luckily, microsoft likely doesn't know your identity, maybe they do if you're in the us. but who cares about that cucked country?

People in the government still need to use desktops, user.