Embedded Systems Environment

Good Afternoon Any Forumsents,
I've recently become interested in learning about embedded systems. I'm following this course since I saw it recommended online users.ece.utexas.edu/~valvano/Volume1/E-Book/
I just bought the Tiva launchpad and a cheap breadboard kit so I can follow along with the labs. The thing is, I got to chapter 5 and saw that the IDE they're using is Keil UVision (picrel) and it only works on windows, no mac or linux, So, before I get into a rabbit hole trying to get this to work on linux, I thought i'd ask any embedded chads here what you use to develop for these (or any other) microprocessors. Should I just bite the bullet and move back to windows for compatibility (especially those weird proprietary IDES for specific architectures)? Should I keep using emacs on linux and figure it out? Will that work fine for all devices? I'm doing this so I can get a job, so I want to use something that will work. Also any general tips are appreciated.
Thanks bros :)

Attached: keil_uvision.png (756x509, 187.81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.platformio.org/en/latest/boards/titiva/lptm4c123gh6pm.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump
embedded chads pls respond

Embedded chads are too socially awkward to post on Any Forums lol

Idk bro I do hobby embedded with platformio on vs code

Just run it on linux using wine. On linux the main debugger is GDB, with plugin support for all kinds of instruction sets and various frontend UIs to suit various requirements

Yeah dude just use platformio, there is docs for the Tiva docs.platformio.org/en/latest/boards/titiva/lptm4c123gh6pm.html
Stop making life hard for yourself following some antiquated shit

kek everyone on Any Forums is social awkward though
hmmm i haven't had good experiences with wine on anything but games (with proton). I did think of using emacs + gdb but that just seems like it's gonna take a lot of setting up to get good language support working, and getting the code sent to the tiva and etc etc and do that for every architecture i end up using so i'm hesitant on that
hmmm... yeah i think i'll give this a shot. thanks bros

Wine runs IDA pro just fine. I use Anjuta as a frontend for GDB. Emacs is too autistic for me to spend time learning.

all the embedded codemonkeys are on windows, cos thats where all the hyperspecific autistic debug probe drivers are. nobody seriously develops embedded software on linux, because tooling vendors don't bother providing linux support for the 100+ different configs and distros.
keil uvision is trivially pirateable, literally every single russian i know uses it and there is no way in hell they paid for it.
platformio is a good solution if you don't actually care or enjoy embedded development. its the arduino ide, but for grown-ups.

Does that plugin have telemetry? For vscode, even switching to vscodium is not enough because many plugins also come with telemetry

>all the embedded codemonkeys are on windows, cos thats where all the hyperspecific autistic debug probe drivers are
yeah that's the reality i was afraid of. i installed platformio and vscode, but i'm still kind of afraid to run into some weird driver issues later for that reason. I think what I'm gonna do is keep following the course I'm doing, and if I end up liking it, I'll just bite the bullet and switch back to windows. Thanks user

hmm maybe, idk. at this point i don't really care though. If i'm gonna end up switching to windows for compatibility, a plugin with telemetry is the least of my worries kek

>all the embedded codemonkeys are on windows
Factually not true I have seen many hackers (the good kind) do magic and post their results. Maybe I most are hobbyist but doesnt mean they dont exist.

i wish i could do magic desu but as much as I like linux, I'd rather not be fighting it for this. It's one thing to use alternative software "equivalents", but trying to get some hyper specific autistic drivers working because the manufacturer doesn't give a crap about linux doesn't sound very fun

I am a senior embedded engineer. A good first project is to implement an mcp2515 can bus driver. If you do this you will learn a lot of fundamentals for working in the industry.

>mcp2515 can bus driver
i don't even know what that is yet kek.
you mean like a driver for picrel? what should it do? can i hook it up to the Tiva?
also, where is a good place to get these parts? i bought the Tiva on digikey and they charged me over $10 in just tariffs and shipping. on amazon i need to buy a bunch as you can see, and being amazon, i have a feeling they're overpriced

Attached: mcp2515_can.png (1248x763, 316.78K)

What you're referring to as "UVision" is in fact pronounced "mewVision", like the pokemon.

Get your language in order.

-rms

>senior embedded engineer

Attached: uncledane.png (900x900, 641.72K)

gomen rms-sama should I add GNU to it as well?
GNU+Keil mewVision?

I work on embedded systems and personally I use Slickedit, but don't use that because it isn't worth it. You can use anything on linux as long as you know how to use gcc and a serial port which are easy enough to figure out with some googling. IDEs are trash. I think Arduino is the best for beginners because it can make everything as simple as you want it to. What I mean is when you are ready to do something more advanced you can flash a different boot loader than the Arduino one or even try building your own. Plus the chips are really well documented.

This is not a good first project, especially for someone who would make a thread on Any Forums to ask for advice

i..is it "install gentoo" for embedded?
hmm... yeah i'm still kind of worried about unsupported stuff, but if i can get by on linux then that's great. I guess i'll try to stick to it for now, since i'm very new and won't probably need anything crazy for a long while. maybe it'll work out desu

>is it "install gentoo" for embedded?
It's just impractical for a beginner, so kinda.

kek, i see.
guess i'll just keep following my course then. first project is to blink an LED with a button i think