IceWM vs JWM vs TWM (Tom's WM)

Looking to replace mainstream desktop environments. I'd like to know insights on these. I'm leaning towards IceWM because they feature standard compliance and the defaults seem very complete. The config file seems to be simpler than the others, which use XML. On the other hand, I don't remember which of the two I tried last night, the man page seems to be pretty good in comparison with IceWM.

I haven't looked into resource consumption but given the age of these programs, I'm not too concerned.

I am already used to Ratpoison, but I want a more normal alternative because it gives some problems with GIMP and full screen programs.

Attached: 800px-Icewm1220.png (800x600, 431.39K)

you will NEVER be productive with your computer

Won't be productive with other desktop environments if they jam after a wake up.

Just use xfce

xfce was great until they introduced csd

cwm, simple config, minimal, cures your ricing addiction because there's nothing to rice. It felt like a tiling manager in floating mode.

This. The config file is easy to use and well documented, and the source code is simple enough to hack on.

Lol just disable it if it bothers you that much

FVWM no window manager beats the true posix compliant unix wm
icewm is a second good option but consumes more memory and is written in c++

I use icewm specifically because of the plain text config

Fluxbox.

Definitely go for IceWM. It is really easy to configure and is quite flexible. Moreover, it can be themed in a number of ways unlike JWM and TWM which both have pretty limited themeing options. If you want a stacking window manager that supports more advanced configuration options try to look into Openbox and FVWM. I personnaly find FVWM's config file's syntax to be needlessly complicated but it is extremely flexible and standards compliant. Openbox uses a mix of XML and XResources files for configuration, which makes it a bit harder to configure than IceWM but it's still quite easy. One thing to note though is that it does not have a built-in taskbar so you will need to use a third party one. I recommand tint2, which is highly customizable and well documented.

do FVWM, Fluxbox, or cwm use plain text configs?

Attached: 2022-08-08-093825_1440x900_scrot.png (1440x900, 160.31K)

kys troon

what are the lowest memory use WMs you are aware of?

dwm is the lowest that i know of, being the next
on a fresh install of openbsd, fvwm consumes about 30(minimum)-100mbs of ram

*fvwm being the next

bot

all three do
cwm is the simplest however

the linux port of cwm is actually maintained by a tranny. and its whole thing is to provide simple decorations in order to calm (calm wm) mentally ill users who would otherwise be upset by their desktop

lol that got to be fake where's the source?