Anyone have experience owning a German shepherd? Been thinking about getting one

Anyone have experience owning a German shepherd? Been thinking about getting one.

Attached: 4fba49f2346cf92a151f73724b397527b53b755d8bdba90b596aa49ad0d0ce34.jpg (600x800, 120.45K)

yes

How are they? I heard they're a pain in the ass sometimes.

Attached: RDT_20220620_0945578469089080201406452.jpg (604x806, 334.08K)

Lot of exercise and lots of grooming

I frequently brushed and bathed my last dog, and he was pretty happy with a 30 minute walk in the morning, and 30 minutes when I got home from work. But I would have to leave him locked in the laundry room while I was away. Do you think a shepherd could handle being locked in a laundry room for 8 hours as long as he was getting enough excerise and attention the rest of the day?

Attached: pink_shepherdsit.jpg (671x909, 129.33K)

You can loosen yourself up with progressively larger bad-dragons to make it less of a pain in your ass.
As a german shepherd owner myself I can highly recommend them, owning one is an amazing life altering experience for sure.

Attached: salespage_rex01_full.jpg (1501x1000, 128.39K)

I have two, they're the only dog anyone should have. Smart as hell, and no one will think about trying to steal your shit, although if they tried the dogs would probably just lick their face and go for a walk with them, but the plebs are scared just by the sight of them.

aLOT OF GROOMING. you get a free carpet every week if you learn to yarn that shit.

I have owned two:
one female, and one male:
Great dogs - loyal, intelligent, easy to train
they are safe around your family and friends
[ whom they consider to be part of the 'pack' ]
will be highly protective of you (as the primary carer), your family and property - and they instinctively know how to appear to be extremely aggressive & dangerous to intruders or anyone who seems to be a threat to you.

Main disadvantages
(a) [ to you or the cleaning woman ] - they can shed a lot of hair ;
(b) [ to the dog itself ] - they can be prone to genetic problems with their hips = only buy from a reputable breeder that can give evidence of certified "hip scores" of both of the parent dogs

This.....and, they don't call them German Shedders for nothing.

It's ok to make him hang out in the laundry room a couple times a week if he seems to like it there but you shouldn't force him in there every day against his will, that would be cruel.

Attached: 1638261159439.jpg (1200x900, 93.79K)

Not likely, will probably chew the shit out of stuff.

I have a pure german shepherd that almost a year old, it's runs free on our 40 acre farm, my wife is home with it all day and it's still a huge pain in the ass. Needs to be worked and needs almost constant attention or itll start destroying stuff. If I locked her in a tiny ass laundry room she would probably burn the house down. Shes pretty good and listens well though. But honestly needs more fucking attention than both of my toddlers put together

My lab on the other hand is totally content to just lay around and be a good old boy 22 hours a day. He is 8 years old though

Pic related

Attached: Screenshot_20220104-214629_Gallery.jpg (1080x893, 747.9K)

my parents had one when I was a kid, lovely dogs but their back legs go when they're older

I honestly find my shepherd requires very little grooming, you just need a fancy self-emptying robot vacuum patrolling your floors 7 days a week to deal with the german shedding.

Attached: 1638159721858.jpg (3024x4032, 1.74M)

Would fuck

The chicks not bad either

They also shed like a mother fucker when the seasons change. My dogs dont even come in the house the shepherd sheds so bad. They live in the garage, the barn or outdoors

GSD is best dog

top kek
they are good bois

Attached: 1.jpg (4288x2170, 142.99K)

Attached: 2.jpg (4288x2170, 143.02K)

Oh, that won't be necessary.
I'll make sure he goes willingly.

Attached: e99d88beabf7453400942d8f1b81fd0bfeea91bf2383c553a74af5b9ab54ca29.jpg (768x1024, 126.86K)

They're good dogs. Mine is almost 6 years old, he's a good boy. They need lots of attention, they're clingy dogs, and they love to work. They shed like crazy.
My dog is quite huge, and many people are intimidated by him, lots of them see a big scary looking dog and just assume he's dangerous, but he's a big weenie. He jumps in your lap when he hears a knock on the door. But, he does get kinda scary when someone he doesn't know comes around my kids. And I like that.
They are highly intelligent dogs too, so you can't expect them not to find some trouble if you neglect to keep them engaged. They love following commands, and are eager to learn and to do it. Mine loves fetch, and water. He'll chase a stick, Frisbee, or ball into the water and bring it back everytime. I had to learn not to throw rocks, because the goofy bastard will actually dive and bring me back a rock if I throw it.
Good luck and think it through all the way. Great dogs but not for everyone.
Also, thank you for not getting a pitbull.

Attached: Screenshot_20210608-103343_ZooPix.jpg (1052x919, 264.57K)

>making a german shepard stand on two feet
ouch, certain breeds commonly have knee issues, be nice to your dogs!

best dogs in the world.

Maybe look into getting one without the curved hind.
That trait was bred into them and causes lots if hip issues for them.

my family has always had these, for the last 5 generations, and so ive experienced three total sheps in my lifetime. however the last two (twins) are 50/50 mix between german shepherd and belgian malinois, a very closely related albeit different breed, and so they look a bit like pic related.

i'd say they can be great companion AND guard dogs if you socialize them with humans and other dogs early in their lives. This is a must, because this breed is one which if not socialized, can exhibit serious anxiety aggression problems if asked to interact with humans and other animals often down the line.

one thing to understand is also that shepbros tend to develop hip dysplasia over time and it happens almost all of the time. a strong diet and frequent exercise can assist with this, but i've almost never heard of a pure shep that didn't have leg/hip problems as they aged. often though, malinois don't have this issue and so mixes are kinda 50/50 on it.

both malbros and shepbros need lots of attention; twice daily exercise is the minimum in my experience. they're excellent running partners/are great if you wanna strive for an active lifestyle. Sure maybe you can leave them unattended at home for a few hours at a time, but preferably only if you have a gated yard. our first shep would sometimes tear the laundry room up bad when left alone.

but anyway, there's a reason law enforcement and the military usually use these breeds: reliable, loyal, disciplined, intelligent, stately (some might say intimating).

In summary: they protecc, they attacc, they love you. :)

if i had to use one statement to summarize german sheps it would be: "hey, hi you seem nice and all...but WHO EXACTLY DO YOU KNOW AROUND HERE?"

if the breed purity and unmistakable german shepherd look is what you want, i'd recommend a shorthair pure. if you want less chance of hip dysplasia, and are okay with the leaner, more slender build and less iconic but equally pretty coat, mal-shep mix.

Attached: belgian_malinois_tx2gmshep.jpg (1200x1200, 278.91K)

I think they are the 1st or 2nd most bitey dog

Is that photoshopped or false perspective?

are you:
1. white?
2. a female?

Yeah, he used to fuck my wife.

White male. Why do you ask?

Attached: pink_blade_preparing_for_stud.jpg (673x900, 118.63K)