Does Linux have its own equivalent of Rosetta 2 yet?

Does Linux have its own equivalent of Rosetta 2 yet?

Attached: Rosetta_2.jpg (1200x647, 37.64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

qemu.org/docs/master/devel/tcg.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

QEMU?
If we need to run something on a different architecture we usually just compile it for that target.

WINE though performance is outrageously dogshit if run on anything not aplol iphone CPUs. It actually makes picrel look like a high end gay men PC.

Attached: 1643258571720.png (1920x1700, 3.43M)

Qemu is an emulator, Rosetta 2 is a translator

Having an x86 -> ARM translator is valuable because there are 40 years worth of x86 programs that will never see the light of day running natively of ARM

Box86, box64 and fexemu

this

qemu.org/docs/master/devel/tcg.html
"QEMU is a dynamic translator"

loonix doesnt even have its own equivalent to this yet

Attached: 1642645491391.png (946x1080, 589.38K)

Attached: diapers.png (300x301, 9.03K)

>i cant cope with this fact so it's bait

Pretty much every Linux program is distributed via code so you don't need a translator, you just fucking compile an x86 version, an arm64 version, and execute it directly.

>diapers.png
Where?

Attached: 1659895609122.jpg (1000x799, 100.82K)

OP BTFO

ctrl+v bros how do we respond to this?

box86 is the most close thing I think

This

box86

Qemu is a dynamic recompiler type emulator: it has native instruction sequences for each target architecture instruction, and puts them together to translate a block of code. It then jumps to the block to run it, and caches blocks for if they're used again.

I imagine Rosetta 2 works similarly, since nobody has succeeded at reliable static recompilation of real world programs, and that's the only strategy that would be faster.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rosetta 2 is faster though. It's built for a single purpose: running x86 code on Apple's variant of ARM. Qemu handles anything on anything. It requires some asm customization to deal with parsing instructions and handling each architecture's quirks, like how ARM code can only reference nearby constants so it has to generate pools of them interspersed with code, and then jump over the constant pools.

Rosetta 2 relies on hardware features of M-chips translate instructions that no other arm chip has
Its possible to reach feature parity on Linux with an M chip, but other arm devices will need to rely on software translation only

huawei exagear performs 200% better even without hardware translation
rosetta is actually pretty shit

Based illiterate poster