/fglt/ – Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ – Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
– Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: 1659798101915539.jpg (2560x1440, 141.56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/sentry/kernel-fsync/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Posted this is the old thread apparently after this one was made so reposting it here

New to linux, read the OP, didn't really find answers about the command line and terminal specifically, was hoping some nice anons could help

>First link is 14,000+ commands with 25 entries per page.
As if I'm supposed to know what to search for.
>Second link is some pseudo-programmer jargon shit that wants you to enter a command on the page.
Just not clear on how to use it.

What I wanna know is, is there like some essentials or cheat sheet of sorts for debian with shit I NEED to or should know? I swapped from windows to get away from the botnet but man the barrier to entry to linux is pretty rough.

For one you should probably learn how to use apt. It's easy, just look up it's man page with man apt in the terminal and you can read about all it's options, with the main ones you'll be using being install, update and upgrade.

>barrier to entry to linux is pretty rough
>installed Debian
Linux is piss easy, just don't make stupid decisions like using Debian since it's hostile to beginners and became a meme alongside Gentoo.
Don't blame Linux for your own missteps.

What's the big difference between installing Nobara and just using Fedora with GE's kernel copr? I'm on the latter right now and it mostly just seems like it's mainly the same.

>alongside Gentoo.
Why are you calling Gentoo a meme? It does one thing it was made to do and it does it well.

Nobara also includes a bunch of gaming and content creation programs pre-installed while also enabling rpm-fusion.

So it's better out of the box, but if I already have a good Fedora install going I don't really need to switch? I mean, I don't really need to switch anyway, I was just mostly curious if it was worth it.

Attached: 1659809871510.png (250x219, 104.6K)

If you can install GE's custom kernel over a normal Fedora install and pick it in GRUB to boot from I guess there's no need.

Thanks user I'll check it out

>Don't blame Linux
I can and I will it's really not user friendly at all when you do what seems like 90% of the shit on it through the terminal for me anyways is retarded, but maybe I'll warm up to that later. My thought process was I didn't want to even put on the training wheels and jump right in.

>I didn't want to even put on the training wheels and jump right in
You don't NEED to take them off. There's nothing wrong with admitting you don't like the terminal and sticking to GUI programs and distros that make heavy use of them.

If you're choosing to try Linux you really gotta learn to love using the terminal. After a while of using it you might be surprised how much you come around on it.
And yes it's true that Debian isn't really considered a beginners distro in the slightest really. Ubuntu LTS and it's derivatives like K/L/Xubuntu and Linux Mint use Debian as a launch pad to create something much more beginner friendly, which you should probably have a look at.

I'm wrong. It's a kernel he use to recommend by sentry for fsync support. copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/sentry/kernel-fsync/

So his own kernel in Nobara might be better.

With Debian you have to understand how strict the Debian project is about licensing. Not all distributions chop up firmware files like that or have distinct repositories for software that doesn't fall under GNU.
Also applies to other distributions that advertise themselves as FSF-approved or whatever.

He's really customized it with a whole bunch of pick and mixed gaming modules and his own custom bits and pieces. Nobara's kernel at this point is pretty much one-of-a-kind for now.

what's the point of lutris?

Hey do you know any semi obscure unique distros to put in the ither category thanks

Attached: distros.png (1157x803, 100.23K)

Nobara (Fedora but if he best gaming distro)
Garuda (VERY riced Arch)
Gecko (OpenSUSE but with better defaults)
MX Linux (Debian but actually suitable for desktop)

It's basically an automated script runner that sets up wine prefixes and installs the game and it's other dependencies with no real need for intervention from scripts made by users on the Lutris website.

Nobara should definitely be included on that list as "Fedora but highly customized to be made gaming ready OOTB with a custom gaming-centric kernel. Built by GloriousEggroll (creator of proton-ge-custom and Lutris.)"

Wait this isn't the kernel that he is using with Nobara? I am pretty sure that it is

The fsync patch is one thing that's included.

I'm on Fedora as well. I don't think it's worth switching. Just install what you want out of his copr repos and the sentry kernel. That's what I did.

My thought process was I didn't want to use GUI because in my mind, I didn't want the same thing as windows and I'd have to eventually learn it anyways.

I was told to use Debian because it's stable and doesn't break all the time, maybe I was memed. I can check those out though thanks, which one would you recommend?

Yeah I have never heard of 99% of the shit I have on my machine but I just kinda chalk it up to muh free software, it's a learning experience for me.

Yeah but it's just called kernel-fsync because its original purpose was to enable fsync. I am pretty sure that it has all of the other stuff as well.

Mint for sure.