Phones as your main computing device

As a born-in-the-80s-non-zoomer, I've owned many mobile computing devices over the years, from PDAs and gaming handhelds to iPods and Android smartphones. But through all this time, my GNU/Linux machine (or WIndows pre 2006) was the device where I felt "home". Where I felt I could truly do ANYTHING and felt a certain unease when I went somewhere for a long time with no access to that device. Because what if I needed to copy files from one USB device to another?

However recently, I've noticed that this feeling is now something I get from my Android phone, mostly because I can do 95% of the things I want from a computing device with it. That includes highly specific things like
>adding torrent files to my seedbox and downloading files from it
>configure my jellyfin server and access its content
>configure the flight controller of my FPV quad
>re-encode and cut/trim video files via ffmpeg
>emulate any videogame system worth playing
>access any social media service or website worth using
>even shitpost on this board with appchanX and oneechan ricing

Really the only things I CAN'T do seem to be things related to other computing devices like or things like
>formatting drives
>backup files
>install operating systems to other devices
>write a 50,000 word dissertation
>any type of media/content creation that involves video
In short, things I only do very infrequently, which makes my phone the device I feel like I can't be without for a longer duration of time.

Well, this made me wonder - outside of school or work (where often times computers are provided by the institution), why would zoomers even need these devices for, when their computing needs are so far below mine? Are general purpose computers finished for the broad masses? Is our future built around apps?

Attached: chaddroid.webm (240x533, 2.68M)

phones are jack of all trades, king of none. you can do everything half-assed, but you still need a computer for real shit. even instagram thots use proper cameras and laptops instead of just iphones.

>highly specific things
and you listed basic end user shit, zoomie

What would be an example of something less basic?

>why would zoomers even need these devices for, when their computing needs are so far below mine?
oh nonsense. zoomers rocking fucking laptops and all kinds of shit. please nigga.
>Are general purpose computers finished for the broad masses? Is our future built around apps?
no. "our future" isn't garbage and poor performing applications written in java or some other garbage language. that's the opposite of progress.

What prevents you from feeling "at home" on your phone so far?

I'm was trying to get some Android tv boxes but most of the chink ones are trash so i might just buy a used Samsung phone with dex. It's better than any mini PC and it could even be a perfect browsing machine and entertainment. A used note 10 is even cheaper than a 8gb raspberry pi 4

>What prevents you from feeling "at home" on your phone so far?
good question, something i haven't really thought about. i've always wanted the ability to switch from toy operating system to a virtual machine running a real operating system so i can emulate whatever i needed to use on windows/linux/etc and continue working on whatever i was doing at home on my pc. would need a fat cpu for it but future is looking very good.

>add torrents
but you have to search for it and that's much slower than with a mouse and keyboard
>emulate games
ok, and how do you play FPS or Strategy games or really anything that requires motor skills faster than a retard ?
>re-encode in ffmpeg
that is a bit inconvenient even on PC, having to remember what command for which format or combine bits of different stuff, and now you have to type on a touchscreen...

you're just being dumb

>search torrent
I can type 70wpm on my phone and have the private tracker I use bookmarked
>game
With a controller, like on PC
>ffmpeg
There's an app for that.

Have fun doing any real work on a faggy phone, retard.

I don't do work, that's the point of this post.

BASED

tl;dr I don't do anything of worth, so I can do everything on my phone

In a way. I used to be you when we had this thread a year ago and I try to understand what happened. I do things of substance but if you have to set up a media server/seedbox from scratch every week, you're doing something wrong. Maintaining a server is something easily doable from your phone.

Technically a rooted android phone and Termux can carry you through a lot of things, but it sounds unergonomic.

>>formatting drives
>>backup files
ownCloud. Just upload and then download. Save whatever.
>>install operating systems to other devices
Ok.
>>write a 50,000 word dissertation
Hook your phone to a monitor. Screen mirror or whatever. Plug a keyboard or connect it via bluetooth.
>>any type of media/content creation that involves video
You mean to watch it? Solution above would do the job. I mean you need a monitor, at least a TV.

maybe in a few years if you can run mainline linux on a fast chip and you can use docking stations

What kind of serious shit would instagram whores do on laptops? Spreadsheet their finances?

WHY is no one else doing this and why did Samsung basically abandon it?

Just have a smartphone which can slot into a laptop chassis or connect it via usbc to a monitor and have it function.

If you're just doing office work-tier kinda stuff and browsing the internet, a modern smartphone ought to be capable enough to pull this off

I think it would be cool to just have 1 device which you can use as your desktop, laptop, and mobile

Attached: samsung_dex-825876660.jpg (1280x853, 266.03K)

Literally any kind of programming.
Video editing.
3D modeling.
Music making.
Basically, if your main profession or creative hobby in any way involves these things you will need to main a PC of some kind, laptop or otherwise.