/audiophile/

Don't post unless you have actually heard speakers over $5000

Attached: martin.jpg (4032x3024, 1.23M)

I've been to a Pink Floyd concert, their speakers cost $250,000. what would you like to know?

strange looking speakers. don't know anything about them.
>Don't post unless you have actually heard speakers over $5000
i think most people have if they've ever been to a nightclub or concert. are.. you even trying?

>hard floors
>hard walls
>bass trapping corners
>reflective surfaces everywhere
that room is going to sound like shit regardless of how expensive the speakers are

Nightclub speakers are made for loudness not sound quality

>strange looking speakers. don't know anything about them.
Electrostatic they make music with static. It makes the music sound extremely big and clear. Much bigger than normal speakers. I read one review which said it made the music sound like a 25 foot leonard cohen was singing to then. I've only listened to the cheapest version which had some problems. The good ones are too expensive for me

>Nightclub speakers are made for loudness not sound quality
yeah that is true, but still damn expensive!
>Electrostatic they make music with static
ah. that makes sense. explains a lot.
>I read one review which said it made the music sound like a 25 foot leonard cohen was singing to them
that seems very impressive. i would really like to hear how that sounds with my own ears.

that mofi record saga ended up in the washington post. looks like that business is in a world of trouble for misleading their customers.

so headphone diminishing return graph steepens right around $500, where does it start with home speaker systems?

I don't know what graph you are talking about but Stax headphones start at $1500 and are much superior to the headphones at $500. This idea of diminishing returns is a myth

>over $5000
where do i listen to these? i'm pretty sure i can't tell sound quality apart above like 100€

wtf are you talking about
$500 doesn't even buy mid fi let alone good sound

There's no diminishing returns, there's negative returns. As in every model more expensive than that will sound worse. For IEMs you get negative returns after $500(Moondrop Varistions), for headphones you get them at $4000(DCA Stealth), for speakers you get them at $4000(8351b). The thing with the speakers though even the best speaker will sound like shit if you don't EQ it to your room, so might as well EQ everything else. Keep in mind that radiation pattern of a speaker is not fixable with EQ, so you would still want a coaxial design.

>8351b
A tiny fucking speaker like the Genelecs will not sound as good as a 5 foot speaker or an omnidirectional/electrostatic speaker

reccy please.
>preferably japanese make like aiwa, roland, jvc, denon
>for music(i enjoy everything melodious to metal) and gaming
>20-50k yen(upper limit would be really pushing it but i could if there's something special)
i was recommended edifier on this board sometime ago for a more modest budget, but would like a second opinion. also would rather avoid buying chinese(it's not the "cheap" stereotype, i'm not naive)

Yet all these towers have worse distortion than genelecs, curious.

There is more to sound than just distortion. You can have the perfect sounding speaker but if it's 10 inches tall it will sound worse than a bigger speaker

High speakers and expecially towers have awful vertical radiation pattern, they aren't an option at all if you care about sound quality.

Have you actually listened to many speakers? I can't imagine you would be saying this if you have. I've listened to the Genelecs and they were just too tiny to be worth using. I guess you probably don't listen to your music loud

i shake my head and chuckle when i see "audiophiles" boasting about their expensive speakers while their room is untreated

Room treatment is a myth

I've been to a hifi show and all speakers sounded like shit. That's just the natural state of speakers that haven't been room eq'd.

This
Acoustics are an illusion

hearty kek

I like those martin logans, I got to play a fart compilation on them at best buy. Really crispy treble for the shits and enough booming bass for the poo hitting the toilet.

No need for room treatment if you sit 3 inches from the speaker