Anyone who was at least 10 in 1986 and remembers what Reagan’s America was like? Please tell me...

Anyone who was at least 10 in 1986 and remembers what Reagan’s America was like? Please tell me, I’m reading Brent Staples for class and would like some candid reflections

Attached: BDD4FC41-5485-4BD8-B64E-B4DC286EF110.jpg (1160x629, 533.87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xSOp507HJMA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It was stunningly more moderate than today, on all fronts. The man raised taxes 11 times and conservatives still hold him as an icon. A lot of people thought he was a buffoon and in some ways he was, but he could reach acros the aisle. We would do well to get back to this.

Reagan's America
>good if you're white, straight, male
>incredible if you're the aforementioned and got money
>bad if you're female or under middle class
>horrible if you're a colored
>may as well an hero if you're poor and a colored
>barely human if you're poor, colored, and female

Yeah I kinda agree with user here. It was a less partisan time.
On the flip side, all Reagan’s deregulation (especially financial markets) is a large part of why we are so fucked today

>We would do well to get back to this.
kill yourself

yeah it was nice, prosperity, kinda like holy fuck carter was bad, and the dementia joe comes along, it will get bad before we get adults it the room.

sounds absolutelly based
captcha related

Attached: IMG_20220608_212329.jpg (1080x709, 153.72K)

Before you praise him, remember that he repealed news neutrality, creating the mess today.
He is responsible for modern america, like it or not

This. He created a monster

if you were poor back then you were institutionalized, you were setup to be poor at a very young age. education was wayy too cheap back then.

He was a fucking cunt. Fuck him.

>>man raised taxes 11 times and conservatives still hold him as an icon
He completely slashed the income tax brackets.

I think he confused him with nixon, or eisenhower maybe

Was he a cunt before entering politics in the 1960s? Was he a nice guy as a 1920s lifeguard, 1930s and 1940s movie star, or 1950s General Electric representative?

His dementia became more obvious as his term progressed. He was a taking head spouting the ideas of his cronies.

He introduced the US to "deficit spending". Stealing from future generations.

It was a decade of contrasts.
The War on Drugs was grinding away but every kid, rich or poor, was high on something.
Jocks and rednecks were publicly the norm but teens were all hardcore punks or emo goths on the weekend.
Sex was available at an early age but people were terrified of aids.
The cold war was in high gear, America was No 1 but we all thought we were going to die in a blaze of fiery nuclear doom.
This was the decade America decided it was great to be rich but fuck education, fuck the middle class, fuck the poor, fuck other countries. GO USA, FUCK YEAH!!

Welp;
He introduced neo-liberalism into mainstream politics, Funded the mujahideen and all Qaeda in Afghanistan with no consideration for the long term consequences, Shipped off countless skilled and semi-skilled jobs to other countries, Deregulated the financial sector leading to inevitable booms and busts like in 2008, Increased a drive towards people taking on more and more debt, and legitimized and encouraged a hyper individualistic "fuck you buddy" mindset into American culture that has eroded social bonds between people for decades.

Great guy

Attached: Official_Portrait_of_President_Reagan_1981.jpg (2399x3000, 1.21M)

He was proof of concept that a president could just be a face run by handlers behind the scenes. He was the first and only person when questioned before congress and answered "I can't recall" who was actually being honest. By his second term his Alzheimer's was so advanced he literally wasn't there. His handlers promoted the idea of "trickle down" economics where if you made the rich richer it would somehow make it better for everybody. (as if the rich would take their money and invest it in new businesses and updated machinery rather than just buy more expensive luxury cars, bigger yachts and more extravagant parties).

The phrase Reagan tax cuts refers to changes to the United States federal tax code passed during the presidency of Ronald Reagan. There were two major tax cuts: The Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981 and the Tax Reform Act of 1986. The tax cuts popularized the now infamous phrase "Trickle-down economics" as it was primarily used as a moniker by opponents of the bill in order to degrade supply-side economics, the driving principle used to promote the tax cuts.

The first tax cut (The Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981) among other things, cut the highest Personal Income Tax rate from 70% to 50% and the lowest from 14% to 11% and decreased the highest Capital Gains Tax rate from 28% to 20%.[1]
The second tax cut (The Tax Reform Act of 1986) among other things, cut the highest Personal Income Tax rate from 50% to 38.5% but decreasing to 28% in the following years [2] and increased the highest Capital Gains Tax rate from 20% to 28%.[1]

Reagan is what allowed people like Gates and Bezos to happen

He repealed the neutrality agreement because Republicans thought it wasn't fair to them.
This lead to an explosion in right-wing, am talk-radio shows which influenced today's far-right podcasters.
He's kind of responsible for the complete destruction of high quality political discussing in both the mainstream and alternative media.

Bullshit.
I grew up in the 80's and they were better than today. I was (still am) middle class and had black friends with no tension. We didn't go on about politics or how the "white man was keeping everyone down" we just had fun.
Were there problems in the 80's? Of course, the bigest one was fear of war with USSR but for the most part it was ignored.

Attached: c64.jpg (1340x828, 140.04K)

I agree. I meant the other guy.
Also, not only that but during his time his government had an opportunity to break down microsoft in antitrust and refused, so it is especially true for gates

This is basically any RepubliQan president.

Deregulated the financial markets and fucked us all

Was divorced. B movie celebrity so probably basic level of "niceness" The grandfatherly image used for his presidential campaigns had as much to do with dementia than personality.

>Funded the mujahideen and all Qaeda
Based.

Gates dad was a major DC lawyer so much of the Bill's legal shenanigans originated from his dad. Yet you still hear the Microsoft was started out of a garage myth.

Sure, but now they are the ones complaining the most about the media.
Makes me think they got the short end of the stick

I remember like it was yesterday. I was fucking your mom in the butt.

youtu.be/xSOp507HJMA