/twg/ - Tech Workers General

(Formerly /tjg/ - Tech Jobs General)

Thread for those of us who actually work in tech to tell workplace stories, complain about coworkers and management, share advice on how to progress in careers, and discuss the technologies we use at our cagies.

>Getting Started
Want a tech job, but have no degree, skills, or experience? Read these before ruining this thread with basic questions:
christopherming.com/tech-jobs-no-experience/
learntocodewith.me/posts/tech-jobs-no-experience/
acilearning.com/blog/7-tips-for-getting-into-it-with-zero-experience
firsthand.co/blogs/innovate-with-influence-global-high-tech/how-to-get-a-tech-job-with-no-experience
indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/easiest-tech-jobs-to-get-into
Come back once you have informed questions about interviewing, salary negotiation, etc...

>Interview Prep
leetcode.com/discuss/general-discussion/460599/blind-75-leetcode-questions
neetcode.io/
novoresume.com/career-blog/star-interview-questions
blog.interviewing.io/

>Resume Stuff
careercup.com/resume

>Salary Stuff
freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/
fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-negotiation-guide/
codesubmit.io/blog/the-evolution-of-developer-salaries/
levels.fyi/

>How to Respond to Recruiter Spam
pastebin.com/WX4b62Jx

>Layoffs
layoffs.fyi/

>IRC Channel
#Any Forumstwg on Rizon
kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.rizon.net/#Any Forumstwg (web client)

Please suggest more links to add to the lists

P:

Attached: ijntgttw.jpg (1024x567, 169.29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

w3schools.com/php/
w3schools.com/mysql/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>tfw time for performance reviews
>need to write Self Assessment
In my write-up, I'm going to tear myself apart and make it look like I'm the worst engineer at the whole company. In theory, they should "manage me out" with a severance.

Thoughts on this plan?

>Making rookie mistakes
>unable to focus
>Stressed beyond all compare
I think I'm burnt out anons and I'm tired of getting burnt out because my so called unlimited time off is not unlimited

Seeing how we have the same exact thing going on I'll wager you work for a redhead and her company does not care about engineers and stresses them the fuck out due to poor leadership

You'd be surprised. Just go

I hate it when two meetings are set up at the same time and both are really necessary. The companies should solve this problem already. Do they expect me to clone myself like agent Smith?

They expect you to tell the responsible for the interviews abaout it, so they can reschedule.

It took me many years to understand that giving a fuck about something and stressing about it are two separate things. Now I care about my work tasks and at the same time I don't stress that much about them.

This is what I did.

Is unemployment still decent in burger land?
Thinking about finding a way to get let go so I can get unemployment before I get a new gig

basic PHP knowledge - you should be able to complete most of the stuff from this tutorial w3schools.com/php/ . Std library, syntax, how to run your programs you should have knowledge of all these regardless of what language it is

basics of OOP - be able to define inhertance, polymorphism, interfaces, abstract classes, and encapsulation. Understand how to use it and how it can fuck you over if you use it wrong (class heirarchy too deep, poorly named classes, poorly scoped classes). Know the difference between OOP/procedural and functional styles. Many classes in PHP provide interfaces in both of these styles!

minimal SQL understanding - know how to build a basic query for retrieving, updating, and deleting data. Again, go to w3schools.com/mysql/ and work through the tutorials

Attached: 1640913077493.png (610x610, 576.44K)

Uh, no... my CEO is some weird guy

So is mine we just need to call him a she

Attached: 1655397258447.jpg (542x581, 39.51K)

Ok mine's not THAT weird. He's weird in a bro-ish sort of way, but also kind of awkward... hard to exactly describe

I envy you

>first week of the job that a friend got me
>got another offer for double the current pay at a startup
Do I burn this bridge? The startup product doesn't even exist yet, I'd be their first developer.

Attached: 1659391152206.png (512x512, 186.83K)

>The startup product doesn't even exist yet, I'd be their first developer.

Attached: Red-Flags-Trend-Twitter-und-Co-1200x795.jpg (1200x795, 65.95K)

They will rape you in both mind body and soul with no decent benefits

I would wait at least 6 months to leave, personally.

They said they want to hire 7 other developers by the end of september, I just happened to be the first one they contacted.
>with no decent benefits
I did ask about stock options, the CEO said there's no stock options *yet*, but there will be in the future.
Don't really have that time, it's a take it or leave it situation UNLESS they're willing to talk again later.

>finally got an interview for a help desk job after sending a shit ton of applications
What do I do now?

Attached: 190641469.jpg (550x535, 52.46K)

study basic Windows, GNU/Linux, and networking stuff

or whatever it seems like they want you to know. you can make an anki deck and grind a bit each day

My knowledge is not as uniformed as you are guessing, sorry. I am still thinking it's some kind of competitive trial where they skim best candidates off after these classes.
I am very grateful, m8. Thanks for response. Also what kind of test assignment can there be?

Attached: IMG_20220802_010636_158.jpg (720x1127, 60.33K)