Why does everyone use discord

why is it being forced on everyone what the fuck happened to everything else? i'm sick of this googleplebbit tier fucking kike garbage app
>but user its got a bunch of features youre not using
OH yeah like the one that sends my IP directly to everyone? FUCK OFF DISCORD

Attached: fuck them.gif (220x220, 24.68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.com/nitro
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Better than Teams. What a piece of shit.

What else do you want people to use, Ventrilo?

Attached: ventrilo.jpg (750x1157, 175.73K)

It's no secret that the FOSS community is pretty bad at recognizing the importance of marketing.

IRC is dead and buried, discord took it's place
now get on discord or continue to enjoy having no friends

there was a lengthy video or twitter thread by some person a while ago explaining some of it, I think it boiled down to 1) people dont want to put shit out for free anymore, in the sense that they want a closed community 2) discord is easy to set up compared to websites, forums etc.

I got balls of steel

As much as I hate Discord it's way better than Skype ever was for this sort of thing and way more user-friendly than Teamspeak or Mumble.

>i suck BALLS everyday just because i ~like it so much~

The main problem is Discord makes profit and can advertise a fuckton. Free software generally makes fuck all an thus can't advertise and don't get investors.

We have Element which is FOSS and much more decentralized than Discord could ever hope to be, but no one seems to be sharing it with their friend groups for some reason.

Attached: Element-Home-Hero_1.png (1360x813, 470.75K)

Zoomers have rejected the world wide web, rather, they only post to social media, tiktok and discord rather than make websites or post on forums to disseminate information.
This is what's causing the dead internet, there's nothing to index and what's left is slowly being censored by google receiving DMCA requests and boomers dying off and not renewing their domains.

not used that shit in a few years. but it was free to use and you didn't even need an email unless you cared about your username. don't recall any ads either. how does discord make money?

datamining children

I've never used discord

only barely

>how does discord make money?

Nitro subscriptions.

discord.com/nitro

because you keep justifying its use

>Free software generally makes fuck all an thus can't advertise and don't get investors.
technically you could make free software business model like discord has
>the source is available, but there is also official server
>you can sell shit that gives people larger file uploads and shit, but if anyone sets up their own server they can do that and give away that for free
and so on

It's not being forced on anyone. Normafags are just exceptionally good at making bad decisions and justifying it with the reason that conformism is good.
No one is forcing you to use Discord. You don't have to use it. I haven't used it in years.
The only way to fix the problem is to yourself not use it, and to offer people good alternatives, like XMPP.

soon, friend
soon Matrix will be the most used FOSS messenger

>matrix/riot/element
>webshit
Hello mossad.

>Free software generally makes fuck all an thus can't advertise and don't get investors.
OBS, VLC, Blender and QGIS are absolutely huge in their fields and have big sponsors. Maybe not the $100M funding per year kind of deal, but certainly sustainable and with a competetive salary for the (core) devs

Discord is just mumble + really fancy irc. Why can't someone just combine those two foss things together and make a foss discord ripoff?

there is no way nitro pays their bandwidth and infrastructure bills, not even close.

they don't make money, they will only last until their VC money dries up.

The matrix protocol and clients aren't still on par with it.

fosscord.

discord is unusable if you care about privacy because it will randomly ban or phone-wall you at any time. happened so much to me that I stopped using it altogether and I barely even talked at all on it.

>fosscord
Is it usable yet?