/rg/ - Router General / Home Networking

For all your home networking needs.

Which DNS provider to you use? Or do you use Unbound?
Which do you prefer and why, OpenWrt or DD-WRT?

Optimal routers for OpenWrt: openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_16128
OPNSense: opnsense.org/
PfSense: pfsense.org/

DD-WRT: dd-wrt.com/
FreshTomato (Broadcom only): freshtomato.org/

Previous:

Attached: DIR_2660_Side_Right.png (1096x1011, 288.71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I0lhZc25Sro
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wow this shit thread again. Fucking noon central.
>muh DNS provider
Just use OpenBSD like a normal person.

You are a complete idiot.

Yeah sorry, autocorrect, it should have said “noob central”

I use XT8 from asus with asuswrt-merlin firmware. Guest/IoT network have their own SSID.

I have scripted the separate SSIDs into VLANs (as well as add client isolation) using the scripting functionality, and after the traffic has been vlan tagged it forwards it to a pfsense VM (connected on WAN port of the router) which is my network backbone. I have 3 ethernet connections, 2 of which are dedicated to the VM (for WAN and LAN), and one for connectivity on the VM host (proxmox).

For DNS I use pihole with unbound backend.

Summarized: IoT has no network access and only allows incoming traffic from my homeassistant VM, guest network only has internet access, and so on.

It works exceptionally well and I wouldnt have it any other way. Anything else is bloat.

Attached: pc-engines-apu-3a4-system-board-3xgigabitlan-4gb-ram-amd-gx-412tc-cpu-ga5834-14916.jpg (1620x1080, 780.04K)

Still rocking my apu2c4. Love that little cunt.

>Which DNS provider to you use? Or do you use Unbound?
unbound in recursive mode yes
>Which do you prefer and why, OpenWrt or DD-WRT?
OpenWRT ofcourse.

Attached: unknown.png (1869x616, 92.6K)

i'm trying to setup up nextcloud. I'm running it in docker on a computer in my house. I have apache set up on the computer to reverse proxy from "nextcloud.me.com" to localhost:nextcloud_port. I portforwarded 80 and 443 to the computer and pointed my domain to my public ip. I can access it just fine from my phone data connection, but I can't access it on my own wifi. I don't understand how networking works, what do I need to do

youtube.com/watch?v=I0lhZc25Sro

Thoughts on these?

Attached: tp-link.png (1274x1154, 176.95K)

I got a new job that lets me spend a bunch of different set budgets for home office improvements, including up to €275 for “additional electronics” (electronics that aren’t part of the basic package like the job issued computer, monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.). Routers are considered “additional electronics”. My current router is absolute garbage from China forced upon me by my ISP. What would be a good router to buy if I don’t do any server hosting and don’t play online games? The thing I would be needing the most bandwith for are torrenting, streaming, video calls.
As I mentioned my budget is €275, but that may be excessive.

Attached: 85DF2786-D322-4DE5-ABFB-D191D8A5CF25.jpg (1242x1226, 1.23M)

>look for a replacement router, want to try open source firmware with it
>find one with decent price
>freshtomato doesn't support it
>dd-wrt doesn't support it
>openwrt doesn't support it
>alright then i will look for another one
>same shit
Why even bother at this point?

Attached: rage.jpg (1024x993, 69.69K)

you probably need to setup split-brain dns.
nextcloud.me.com is pointing to your public ip. when you access it through your home wifi, it creates a "hairpin" situation, which most routers don't handle well. setup your router to resolve nextcloud.me.com to resolve to its private ip, or even just use your hosts-file to do that

Vibration testing.

Attached: M670_Sub_4chan.webm (1280x720, 2.41M)

Attached: kkj.jpg (1024x993, 342.83K)

I fell for the meme, bought a cheap router so that when flashing would go badly I wouldn't regret it too badly
but it worked surprisingly but now there is a bigger problem, the device I bought has 8 mib of rom while 6.5 are used for factory new rom so I can't even install a fucking samba on it

I work with these on an almost daily basis since we use them for customers on an ISP scale. They're a slight pain if you want to use them like a traditional web-page GUI router, but they mesh well, especially if you have all of them wired directly instead of meshing wirelessly. M5's in your picture are only WiFi 5/AC though, not 6.

Don't they literally require you to log in to chinese servers?

Correct, forgot to mention that. You require a mobile app to set up the things in the first place which is by far the worst part about them, and yes TP-Link is chinkium for the most part. My use case just gives me a warped perspective since we don't use the app, they have an ISP specific management interface which they can be bound to as well (don't buy them used, they check for and pull configs remotely so you won't be able to do anything with them if they're stolen by a previous customer of an ISP that uses them)

The Deco hardware itself is honestly fine though, it's just everything else that comes with it that sucks. In a semi-related note I also have an 8 port TP-Link managed switch which drops connections seemingly at random multiple times an hour so do with that information as you please.

Attached: 1371968569148.jpg (2592x1944, 550.21K)

about to move to a place with comcast xfinity 1200mbps. any recommendations on modems? i dont want to use theirs

asus AX6000

VLANS unlike ISP routers these days
8 10/100/1000 ports
VPN
OpenWRT
wifi 6

i just need a modem. i have switches and ap's already