What would you like to see in the next C standard? The only thing I'd like is native UTF-8 support

What would you like to see in the next C standard? The only thing I'd like is native UTF-8 support.

Attached: 1658935924953.png (860x989, 42.34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commit/1e70e82baa9193f6f027338b0fab0f5078971fbe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Memory safety

Classes and JIT compiler so you can use it as a scripting language.

it already supports UTF-8 through char arrays.

just use php

You know what I mean, bastard

You really don't need more than just storage in memory for UTF-8 encoded data, so no, I do not know what you mean.
>inb4 I need to check string length in terms of code points
You don't.

I don't think there is a need for yet another standard.
It's good as it is.
If you want to make new standards all the time, C++ is perfect for you.

support doesn't mean standardized, char literals could be in Windows-1252 for example.

>UTF-8 support
Why? You want to put emojis in your variable names?

You know more languages than just English exist? идиoт

Okay, and?

Foreign letters in variable names are just as retarded as emojis.

Some mandatory reading for you about what terribleness the lack of UTF-8 and the existence of LOCALES do

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commit/1e70e82baa9193f6f027338b0fab0f5078971fbe

generics

so what
if you don't speak american english then you should kill yourself
t. esl

UTF-8 is cringe, ascii is perfect as is

I want proper const that is guaranteed to be evaluated at compile time, including expressions of const and the ability to use them in things like array indexes / sizes

technically in terms of internationalization, most tools are designed for english being the template language because the language itself is in english.
so if you wanted to use a internationalization tool like gettext you need to use english or else you will have a bad time (because english plural rules don't map out to other languages).
Usually this doesn't matter because english is in ascii, and comments in the native language can just use the extended codepage (the upper 127 bytes), which will cause a garbled mess if you tried to read the file in utf8 or any other codepage, but who cares about comments?
Gettext is also designed to work with the legacy code pages of windows, so your translations would be stored in utf-8, and it just gets translated into whatever specific codepage that the version of windows is installed with.
But of course, now for a long time visual studios has supported utf8 encoding (both in terms of source file being utf8, and even the option of converting all string literals to utf8 even though utf8 strings won't print correctly unless you use the correct terminal or you avoid using the native narrow width win32 API or you use the manifest hack that sets the codepage to utf8 only works on a updated build of windows 10.

And?

Kek, 2 paragraphs in and it's already great

modules
& things I want but may not agree with what C wants to be:
array/vector with length information, pass by value by default and supported by the type system.
discriminated union and support for switch on each case.

I try to get more into C++. Do you have some book recommendations for C++?

C++ seems a bit over complicated. I currently struggle with references, smart pointers, implicit sharing and implicit conversion, implicit copy constructors and the "T& func(T&& obj)" shit. I am comfortable with C, Java, C# and a few dynamically typed languages.

Attached: Cpp.png (1200x1349, 97.47K)

so holyc

It would be implemented in a gay-ass manner or else it would break compatibility. C peaked with 99 and can't be bettered any further.