How often do you switch out your laptop? I find mine start to get unusably slow or worryingly noisy after about 4 years...

How often do you switch out your laptop? I find mine start to get unusably slow or worryingly noisy after about 4 years, at which point I'll upgrade. What are your criteria for upgrading?

Attached: Acer Nitro 5 15.6 Inch Gaming Laptop - 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700H - GeForce RTX 3060 - 144Hz 1080p - Windows 11.png (807x486, 261.52K)

If it's a slow piece of shit and the same price I paid now gets me a far better machine for the same price, I mean a several times better performance uplift.

I don't buy new hardware often.

something happened to laptops around 2019, mine is from 2019 and still feels brand new. 6 years ago a 3-year-old laptop would be an unusable piece of shit. So I could still be using this in quite a few years, realistically when 24 gigs of ram becomes painful to use or the cooler fans die. Battery is replacable.

I've been running the same Debian install on the same Thinkpad for 8 years now. Probably gonna run it another 2-4 before I upgrade.

I've had my razer blade for about 4 years now. I don't plan on replacing it any time soon.

I got this Thinkpad T440p in 2014. I made sure to get one with an i7. It's still working great and does everything I need. It can't run games much beyond Minecraft though, since it just has a GT 730M. I run out of taskbar space and space in the Chromium tab bar before I run out of RAM or see any signs of slowness though.

>What are your criteria for upgrading?
Whenever it stops doing the thing I want.
I'm using a ThinkPad T440p from 2013 and still works fine, will see if I need to upgrade after the 6000 Ryzens come out.

Slow and noisy can usually be fixed with a fresh installation and physical cleaning, right?
I have a couple laptops that are 10 and 16 years old and still going strong, though the latter isn't very useful these days admittedly.
I've got a modern laptop too but I never really found a need for it honestly.

i haven't replaced replaced my decade old macbook air with a shitty screen yet because every compact laptop i've looked at these days has a screen with better colors but that ghosts like fucking crazy

My first worked for 10 years but i started feeling it's age after 6 years

>start to get unusably slow
Windows user?

Unironically this. Linux/BSDs give you a lot of freedom to optimize and trim fat. Also hardware knowledge helps. My 2009 laptop has a modded motherboard and CPU, doing fine but emulation is strictly cli.

I almost never use my laptop, I'm not a laptop guy. The only reason I have a laptop is because I was sent on work travel a few times last year and needed a computer. My supervisor gave me very little notice of the first work trip I was sent on. I was scheduled to be in that far-out city in two days and my brain was in overdrive. I was contemplating whether or not I should haul my desktop to a hotel. I decided against that and bought the best $500 laptop I could find at the time.

I've been using my t420 since 2015 with no problem besides the battery only lasting 5 minutes

i only use my laptop to masturbate to japanese games but now that even japs are migrating to unity games the incel iGPU isn't cutting it

What do you do if you hate thin laptops because you get intrusive thoughts about breaking them by bending them and the only laptops you can comfortably use are thick blocky style ones?
It's hard to upgrade if you're also autistic against gaming laptops

Attached: 1636872802023.jpg (800x450, 49.58K)

I've had my current laptop just shy of 10 years.

You are free to duct tape a block of wood under your laptop to make it thicker.

Do you also have intrusive thoughts about jumping off ledges or swerving into oncoming traffic?

Well that's just stupid and impractical
No but I do have intrusive thoughts about children stepping in front of my car from behind a parked car or something while I'm driving and it terrifies me

Casually relates my deepest fear

I'm reminded of that kid getting hit by a truck in Twin Peaks season 3.

My newest notebook is from 2013. Still good enough for mobile use.