What do you think about the UEFI booting scheme? Not the GPT partitioning scheme, that's a different topic

What do you think about the UEFI booting scheme? Not the GPT partitioning scheme, that's a different topic.

Attached: 800px-Uefi_logo.svg.png (800x924, 50.72K)

a clusterfuck despite being a standard

It's okay. Not good, not terrible, but okay. Needing separate boot partitions for everything and storing entries in NVRAM is just fundamentally retarded though and Secure Boot needs redesigned from the ground up to not be completely bypassable from a booted userland.

compared to what was before, it's not bad

secureboot and chain of trust needs to go. SKINIT-like reinitialization and measurement should be the way forward

>What do you think about the UEFI booting scheme?
another """open standard""" by microsoft, for microsoft, released with dogshit documentation, just like ACPI
>completely bypassable from a booted userland.
what, you fucking retard, you want your system to be even more toddlerized?
>SKINIT
>dude microcode lmao
all those VM autism instructions are unique to x64. what, you WANT to be stuck on x86 for another century?

>i dont know what -like means

no other ISA implements anything remotely like SKINIT

>Year of our lord 2222
>We're still booting off of fat32

OpenFirmware was a simpler, better designed technology sitting around for the lifetime of x86-64 but no, Intel had to be different and bring their Microsofty retardation straight into the boot process because that's what they were used to. They'd rather shit up the boot process with unnecessary bloat than change their habits. Idiot fucks.

Attached: OpenBoot_on_UltraSparc5.png (540x201, 12.87K)

this lol
would it kill microsoft to write the ~200 lines of driver code to replace it with ext2?

because none of them are used anywhere where it's needed. reinit-remeasure is meaningful if the state is uncertain, like because it's a modular computer with god knows what hardware and their oproms were loaded.
I hope that modular computers will survive the death of x86

>I hope that modular computers will survive the death of x86
lmao, consumer x86 hasnt been modular for years
>soldered CPU
>soldered RAM
>soldered wifi chipset
>soldered keycaps
>soldered charging cord

Doesnt really do anything better than BIOS except muh secure boot
Some newer BIOSes support NTFS, and Applel uses HFS+ for UEFI

>Some newer BIOSes support NTFS
Holy bloat.

UEFI in general is a bloated mess
In theory it's more flexible than BIOSes were but in practice this just means that manufacturers fill it up with shitty buggy modules and let the users live with the consequences

>Doesnt really do anything better than BIOS except muh secure boot
lol, comparing a 16 bit unstandardized mess with several calling conventions and error reporting mechanisms to a proper standard with 64 bit PE module loading is "not really better"?

as if they werent doing that to BIOS

>soldered keycaps
I always use extra solder

Attached: 1658886407265.jpg (256x256, 16.39K)

The end result is worse, now you have hundreds of buggy modules instead of something that isn't too bloated to debug
Not to that extent.

>unstandardized mess
You talk exactly like the Wayland fanboys.

>storing entries in NVRAM is just fundamentally retarded

Can you explain to a fellow retard why this is retarded? I mean, you could store the entries on the hard disk, but you can move that to a different motherboard. What's the right place to store those entries?