/twg/ - Tech Workers General

(Formerly /tjg/ - Tech Jobs General)

Thread for those of us who actually work in tech to tell workplace stories, complain about coworkers and management, share advice on how to progress in careers, and discuss the technologies we use at our cagies.

>Getting Started
Want a tech job, but have no degree, skills, or experience? Read these before ruining this thread with basic questions:
christopherming.com/tech-jobs-no-experience/
learntocodewith.me/posts/tech-jobs-no-experience/
acilearning.com/blog/7-tips-for-getting-into-it-with-zero-experience
firsthand.co/blogs/innovate-with-influence-global-high-tech/how-to-get-a-tech-job-with-no-experience
indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/easiest-tech-jobs-to-get-into
Come back once you have informed questions about interviewing, salary negotiation, etc...

>Interview Prep
leetcode.com/discuss/general-discussion/460599/blind-75-leetcode-questions
neetcode.io/
novoresume.com/career-blog/star-interview-questions
blog.interviewing.io/

>Resume Stuff
careercup.com/resume

>Salary Stuff
freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/
fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-negotiation-guide/
codesubmit.io/blog/the-evolution-of-developer-salaries/
levels.fyi/

>How to Respond to Recruiter Spam
pastebin.com/WX4b62Jx

>Layoffs
layoffs.fyi/

>IRC Channel
#Any Forumstwg on Rizon
kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.rizon.net/#Any Forumstwg (web client)

Please suggest more links to add to the lists

Previous:

Attached: cdoc.jpg (479x361, 20.7K)

Help sirs.

Attached: resume_anon.jpg (1700x2200, 170.07K)

Attached: 0435pm_in_production.png (600x531, 435.37K)

nitpicky but I wouldn't call Nodejs a framework, it is a runtime. And ReactJS is a library more than it is a framework.

Are the projects connected to a business/company? If so, mention that. Otherwise highlight what you learnt doing during those projects IMO.

At this point this is how I'm approaching problems now.

Attached: 1658712609693.webm (1280x720, 1.49M)

Reposting from >graduated two months ago
>been working one year as a full-stack freelancer larping as an entrepreneur
>sometimes earn better than a Senior, sometimes worse than a Junior each month, depending on the abundance of commissions
Now that I have graduated and have more time should I focus more on my """company""", hire more than just a couple underpaid undergrads and hunt for bigger clients IRL; or should I just give up and apply to FAANG or some shit and become a wagie for stable income?

Attached: 1658669973421062.gif (320x240, 1.62M)

If you can realistically get a job at FAGMAN I don't see why you shouldn't. You will make a lot of money and if you regret it down the road it will still boost your resume and open doors to more opportunities (including freelancing).

why not use action verbs to describe your projects like you did for your space app challenge?

>deadline looms
>hurriedly write lots of bad code I'm not proud of
>promise myself to do better next time
>deadline looms...

>get a new set of shares every year on the anniversary
>guaranteed raises twice a year
I was considering leaving this company (not that I would have nailed interviews, but whatever), but not really feeling that anymore.
This is how they enslave you. Just gotta make enough money to go live on a farm somewhere.

>0435pm_in_production.png
>close laptop
>mute phone
>nap.exe

It just feels... bare. Not even minimalist, just bare. Take out your GPA, add some courses you did well in. Did you do any extracurriculars? Anything? Take out the "it", "a", and "an" at beginning of descriptions.

should I try to get a raise / promotion if I'm a relatively new intern? I feel like they're overworking me and the pay isn't up to snuff. am I being a bitch about this? in terms of storypoints, deliverables and deadlines I'm delivering almost as much as the two senior devs and definitely far more than the other interns, but I don't know if that's a good metric.

If you're doing actual dev work, you should definitely ask to be treated as a full member and compensated for it. Most interns at my jobs never did shit.

Sure, but that's not actually how it works lmao

That's how it works. Interns are there to learn and bring people coffee. If you're doing actual non-trivial work there, you are basically being taken advantage of.

I mean the part about how they should ask to be compensated as a full member. The whole point of interns is to get cheap labour and a potential (vetted and trained) return hire after graduation. In Ontario where I live there's a large government reimbursement for interns so they're that much cheaper to hire.

>Be engineer
>Apply for two positions
>Make a Post on linkedin you're looking for work
>Get a response from me in 15 minutes
>Dead silence for a week
>Schedule a call
>Ghost the interview

What did they mean by this

why're you responding and ghosting yourself

I don't want to be a software developer anymore. I wonder what it's like to be a farmer.

Which university modules. Any high school grades? Have you ever worked, even voluntary? More details for the applications and personal statement/profile at the top. Visually it looks good, but you're barely half a page. If I see a resume that isn't exactly 2 pages I often don't read it

Reposting from last thread. For my most recent workplace I put the real company address, however in the reference section I have put an email and phone number of a friend. Is it likely/possible that future employers will deviate from my submitted reference and contact my previous employer directly from the "previous role" section?

I just refused a job because they asked me the 3 strengths and 3 flaws question.