>Using an outlook.com account for e-mails
>Random password, only used there
>Passwordless login disabled
>Occasionally get random 2FA prompts from some idiot in LA
What the fuck? Compromised password?
>Use a VPN and browser in private mode
>Try logging in into my own account
>Directly get prompted for 2FA
What the fuck has Microsoft been smoking? Why do they allow people prompting for *two*-factor when they not even provided the first factor, being the fucking password.

Anyone else having this problem? How to fix this instead of yelling at Microsoft?

Attached: microsoftauthenticator.jpg (1400x1400, 62.39K)

It's not 2FA, it's passwordless login. I hate this fucking board.

>Passwordless login disabled
Why do they keep pulling this shit then? That seems utterly ridiclousless that you are one tap away from granting people access to your account

Why?

Not him, but I remember a story from some hack that occurred a few months back
>Important admin gets spammed with passwordless notification prompts in the middle of the night
>Eventually he confirms one, either by accident or due to lacking critical thinking skills while half asleep
>Hacker gets in and steals critical data

Just use a strong password, dummy. 2FA and other authenticator apps are the stupidest idea to come along since asking what you teachers name was.

First, if I have *two*-factor-authentication enabled I expect there to be actually two factors, like every one else does.

Second, on iOS the prompt has the three numbers and "Deny" all in one prompt, not really separated from each other. If you mistap "Deny" and accidently hit the number above, you have a 33.33% chance of accidentally granting an attacker access to your account.

If I want passwordless login, well okay. But if I choose 2FA, I want fucking 2FA and not the same shit. Also, the login information is very coarse like "Login from the United States on Windows".

With that design, I legitimately see that as an attack vector.

>Occasionally get random 2FA prompts from some idiot in LA
Yeah, then either your cookie or password are compromised, or you fucked up the settings on your account.

Read further down his post, he then verified that microsoft doesn't even ask for the password

In which case he's fucked his settings if it's doing passwordless, and it would be asking for a password if he didn't have his cookie or whatever so the prompts for the guy in LA mean it's compromised too.

>use VPN to change my endpoint node/public IP to somewhere else
>WHY I GET LOGIN ALERT FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE!?!?!

you're retarded.

Attached: 1609517907283s.jpg (222x250, 8.19K)

2FA being pushed makes perfect sense. How "strong" your password is has been nearly meaningless for a while, no one guesses passwords unless it's something horribly obvious. What happens is people use the same password everywhere, one of those places leaks or they enter their password on a phony site and now all their accounts are an open buffet. 2FA ensures that even if someone gets their password they still can't do shit unless they also steal their phone, which is going to be harder and not worth the effort.

based 2FA explanation, OP is a retard.

2FA, passwordless, etc... All these solutions are garbage. Someone needs to invent something that just works with no bullshit.

Yes, microsoft has some delusional 2FA implementation sometimes. I blame pajeets and their lack of white man brains.
>anime child can't read
>TWO FACTOR AUTHENTICATION
based retard
It's clearly bugged, the passwordless is always on no matter if you turn it on

Anyone know exactly what this Pluton thing I'm hearing about is? Is it going to be the end for FOSS?

Isn't sms based 2fa extremely unsecure? I still havent turned on 2fa for my main accounts like jewgle.

It's easily intercepted yes, but I think companies work on the logic that the odds of a hacker both having your password and being near enough to read your sms messages is very low.
Google's 2fa uses some inbuilt system, not sms. And most major sites allow you to use an authenticator app in my experience, which doesn't need any kind of external connection to work.

2FA is just a way to describe that you are using two things instead of one. There's a ton of implementations of it, and different "factors" which can be something you know, something you own, something you have, etc
You have a better authentication than both something you know and something you have?

what does fingerprint come in? something you have or something you are?

Immutable something you have and can lose.
Its shit.