Data Oritented Tech Stack

Who does g/ think of Unity DOTS?

Attached: 18CF1E27-2271-4BE3-A629-FC546ABF05B3.jpg (320x180, 16.99K)

fuck off

The idea is good, but it is not ready yet for medium-tier devs

>MORE DOTS, MORE DOTS

Attached: moredots.png (335x506, 152.24K)

>Unity
Bloated castlevania engine for nocoders. If you have no plans for the next 5 years then you might want to spend them making the next Hollow Knight clone.

Attached: 1D22ED2B-7DF3-4B06-9741-01B0B0F98345.jpg (1889x2357, 883.58K)

Unity has a reputation for being bloated and inefficient
DOTS is their attempt to change that by throwing some new technology at the problem, I don't know if Unity is bloated or inefficient but ECS is a stupid gimmick

>Unity has a reputation for being bloated
true

>and inefficient
not totally true

>DOTS is their attempt to change that by throwing some new technology at the problem
Wrong.
>ECS is a stupid gimmick
Wrong. It is a different paradigm to build games, putting performance first.

Why do you think they invested in DOTS? Because people think Unity isn't performant. So they thought they could make it look more attractive with this new system which is supposedly faster

Just because the default system is not optimized for performance, does not mean that it has bad performance. 2 different things.

>ECS
that's too retarded. many highly successful games were built with ECS, if not all of them.

Attached: ss_3642cb7bd50fd9d4f5aed1e7ca9e0e1c607c2195.1920x1080.jpg (1440x1080, 275.38K)

>wtf why would a game engine come up with a more performance optimized way to develop games on it?? it can only mean it's not performant!!

>many highly successful games were built with ECS, if not all of them.
hilariously wrong. ECS is only used by hobby coders

it's less performant than unreal simply because you can't turn off the GC in C#, but it sure as fuck more performant than any script kiddie engine out there you don't write native C++ code for.

I said "because people think"
I don't know how well Unity ACTUALLY performs but I'm pretty sure most bad running Unity games run badly because the developer doesn't know how to use it well

Only a small amount of games use ECS dumbass

No Unreal game uses ECS and at this point 90% of jap games and 50% of AAA games make use of it.

made up tech gibberish with the intent of indoctrinating you into the product space

>Only a small amount of games use ECS dumbass
unreal engine uses data oriented entity management internally. You just don't have any access to it

is unity actually considered a bloated mess? my largest game on there was 3gb and averaged 50 fps on a toaster laptop.
is it mostly bloated for AAA level games? mines a 3d game, but maybe only as graphically intensive as an n64 or maybe dreamcast game, and the only time i'd see slowdowns was during development in the editor, the exported project has no fps dips or anything like that.

>unreal engine uses data oriented entity management internally
That's not ECS

>is unity actually considered a bloated mess?
Yes but that's very subjective and if your game works fine it's not something you should worry about

Unity is actually faster than unreal even with C# because it's more simple engine.

tbf that's my experience too, dyson sphere program works blazing fast until your conveyor belt empire gets insanely big. never experienced a GC pause in that game either. just assume the GC must limit performance at some point because it's something an unreal game doesn't have to deal with