/twg/ - Tech Workers General

(Formerly /tjg/ - Tech Jobs General)

Thread for those of us who actually work in tech to tell workplace stories, complain about coworkers and management, share advice on how to progress in careers, and discuss the technologies we use at our cagies.

>Getting Started
Want a tech job, but have no degree, skills, or experience? Read these before ruining this thread with basic questions:
christopherming.com/tech-jobs-no-experience/
learntocodewith.me/posts/tech-jobs-no-experience/
acilearning.com/blog/7-tips-for-getting-into-it-with-zero-experience
firsthand.co/blogs/innovate-with-influence-global-high-tech/how-to-get-a-tech-job-with-no-experience
indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/easiest-tech-jobs-to-get-into
Come back once you have informed questions about interviewing, salary negotiation, etc...

>Interview Prep
leetcode.com/discuss/general-discussion/460599/blind-75-leetcode-questions
neetcode.io/
novoresume.com/career-blog/star-interview-questions
blog.interviewing.io/

>Resume Stuff
careercup.com/resume

>Salary Stuff
freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/
fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-negotiation-guide/
codesubmit.io/blog/the-evolution-of-developer-salaries/
levels.fyi/

>How to Respond to Recruiter Spam
pastebin.com/WX4b62Jx

>Layoffs
layoffs.fyi/

>IRC Channel
#Any Forumstwg on Rizon
kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.rizon.net/#Any Forumstwg (web client)

Please suggest more links to add to the lists

Previous:

Attached: 1657380242528.jpg (692x1000, 110.38K)

>got selected two weeks ago
>"we'll send you all the paperwork soon"
>two weeks later
>"oops, sorry! our hiring managers are busy and it might take a while"
how long does it take to approve a hire and email docusign links in this company, holy shit

Attached: 1636926061698.jpg (960x720, 39.88K)

Someone convince me I shouldn't quit my job and start selling crapware on Steam...

Attached: 1657664256474.jpg (510x496, 24.53K)

You should quit your job but you shouldn't sell crapware on Steam.

Ok I'll quit tomorrow

One of my goals is to work in Antarctica for at least one summer, at McMurdo station.

There are two tech jobs that I can see:
>Systems Administrator
>Computer Technician
There's also a
>Lab assistant
position

Of the three, which do you think is the best to aim for? Each job requires at least 2 years experience, and competition is relatively high for these positions. The sys ad job seems like the best option.

Attached: jobs.png (1216x1308, 274.08K)

I'm doing an IT degree at my community college and I wanted to ask. Is getting a job in Web Development a long shot? A big chunk of the courses are dedicated to HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, yet when I bring up an AS in IT everyone just assumes I'm either gunning for sysadmin or retarded for not doing CS or EE. Before someone asks, yeah I'm working on my portfolio as well, I know an IT degree doesn't mean shit for getting hired in Web Dev by itself.

Someone please tell me I'm not wasting my time. Should I still get my CISCO even if I want a job in development?

Attached: 1658189887137077.gif (426x372, 1.28M)

i want money, what do i do?

How do I make the office more enjoyable? It's fucking miserable in there and sucks all motivation to do anything out from me

Intern here, I just got added into a team. How do I understand this massive codebase. There are thousands of files and some files have nearly thousand lines. I feel very lost. They're going to assign some issue to me any day now. Fuck!

software engineering vs machine learning, which is better?

>6 round interview for FAANG company
>recruiter says I have nothing to worry about
h-hold me bros

Attached: 1.png (320x387, 38.59K)

Anybody got tips for webdev portfolios? I shit one out with jekyll in like an hour but I'm wondering if I should put more effort. Cuz the portfolio website is just there to display blog posts, link to past projects, and advertise services.

It's probably not a degree a lot of places want to see, but you can get jobs without a degree a lot of the time, so it's probably still better than nothing and may give you a leg-up over no-college people.

Do something you want to do that you won't get sick of easily.

what position?

Get a rubik's cube (I recommend the MoYu RS3M 2020 w/ magnet upgrade kit and some cube lube) and a yoyo (something modern with a bearing, you probably wanna start with something responsive).
Get a nice keyboard that you enjoy typing on. Take occasional typing tests on monkeytype.com.
Find someone there you can relate to in some way and chat with them sometimes.
Find your favorite bathroom and other spots you might wanna hang out besides your desk.

Unless you were hoping to exceed everyone's expectations, you probably have nothing to worry about. They're not gonna expect the new guy to know their whole codebase. You'll probably learn parts of it as you need to work with those parts. They'll probably start you with an issue that doesn't need to be done too quickly and that isn't too difficult. I would also recommend talking to some of your coworkers about your concerns since they'll have a better feel for your specific place of work.

Engineering Advocate

Junior front-end. I don't have a degree either and I've been a depressed broke neet for nearly a decade. The salary being offered is more money than I have ever made in my life.

Attached: 1.jpg (600x600, 31.54K)

do I have any chance at breaking into the tech sector as someone who has worked in finance for the last 5 years? I have 0 coding background, my degree is in finance, and my work experience does not include anything tech related. I'm wondering if it even makes sense to learn how to code at this point (28yr old)

Doubt a rubiks cube and yoyo will make it more enjoyable but maybe I'll give it a try
I dont know what a good keyboard is. Currently typing on a 5 yuro Lenovo keyboard and it does the job
its a tiny office so nowhere to really escape to and coworkers are annoying, as in the polish guy beside me constantly keeps asking me what I'm doing. Fucking sucks man

care to give more details? what company? how did you apply?