Just turned 21 recently. Why does beer taste like champagne or white wine or some shit?

Just turned 21 recently. Why does beer taste like champagne or white wine or some shit?

I tried a bunch of different stuff, it all kinda tasted the same to me. I've tried "good beer" and "shit beer", and none of it was really any different to me. Miller High Life just tasted like everything else, so did Budweiser, so did Sapporo, so did Modelo, so did Blue Moon, so did Schlitz, so did Zywiec, it all tasted pretty much the same to me, with only the most minor of differences. The only one that was really much different was Guinness, and some other dark one, it just tastes like black coffee with alcohol in it. All were perfectly drinkable to me, cause it all just tasted like alcohol, and not much else. The only alcohol I had so far that I genuinely liked was brandy, it had real flavor to it. Everything else that was beer was just tasteless.

I'm probably gonna start a flame war, but I'm just wondering what you people have to say about beers. Is it really all that different to you?

Attached: beer-on-a-table.jpg (2121x1414, 431.65K)

You're basically trying only the shitty beers. They're what Duff in The Simpsons was based on: generic tasteless American lagers. There are good beers out there, but you have to get away from the normie shit. Try an IPA or something.

Attached: duffman.png (550x960, 214.15K)

Most of them were actually imports, I can't even remember most of their names except for the American ones, and the American ones still tasted the same as the imports.

The only other name I can remember that I had was Red Stripe. I had a pretty wide selection of beers and they all still tasted pretty much the same. There was like 15 different ones. The thing that keeps making everyone look at me like I'm crazy is when I say it all tastes like champagne, and champagne isn't even that good to me either. It makes me wonder if my taste buds are all fucked up.

>the American ones still tasted the same as the imports
Yeah I don't mean to say that they're all literally from America but they all taste more or less the same which is the important thing. The point is that the stuff that's the most popular is shit. If you limit yourself to only stuff that's local then you can weed a lot of it out.
It is a little concerning if you think Red Stripe tastes like champagne, they don't even have ingredients in common and don't have nearly the same alcohol content. You might just be weird when it comes to taste.

Every time someone says they don’t lien beer, I always respond “cause you haven’t found the right beer yet”. There are so many different styles. Go to local breweries, get flights. Soon you will find something you like. I started my craft beer journey with wheats and blond ales, then eventually moved to IPAs, Porters, and Stouts. I appreciate all styles but if it comes down to one I’m a hop head.

Attached: 299F8ACD-7020-4985-94B9-4345F11EEB72.jpg (5410x3260, 1.62M)

I'm gay too OP

Lager sucks dong. Get some hazy New England style IPA.

I even tried Sapporo which is from Japan, and people said they liked that one. Even someone who usually isn't even into beer. I always hear people saying that Budweiser tastes like shit. And I think it's pretty fucked up that they both taste about the same to me as well.

I don't understand why everyone hates Budweiser so much, it's not even bad. It tastes about the same as everything else I had.

I don't like beer, but I've found a few beers which are sufficiently unbeerlike that I can drink it if I have to at social gatherings. Generally any of the honey beers, especially wheat beers, are going to taste different from beer. Red beer is also a good choice, like Rickard's Red.

Stay away from ANY beer made in the US, which is all sour pisswater.

If you want to try something interesting, try a really heavy beer like Maudit. Technically it's not even beer, more of a hops wine.

I think someone's just fucking with you, Sapporo isn't any different just because it's Japanese. It's also normie shit which is how I know about and have tried it.

>It is a little concerning if you think Red Stripe tastes like champagne, they don't even have ingredients in common and don't have nearly the same alcohol content. You might just be weird when it comes to taste.
Also I forgot to say, but it seems like I'm mostly just tasting the alcohol. There's not much flavor besides that.

Big Brew is all evil. Local craft scene is always the way to go.

Most beer consumed by Americans are produced with the cheapest ingredients for the most profit.
You have to find a REAL brew master that produces their own been in small batches to a select audience. Those user are the ones that have taste. These are found around businesses that employ younger folks. Follow the crowd and you will find liquids that fill that niche.

Fuck no. Most craft beer is just "LOL MORE HOPS!" made by skinny, barefoot Millennials with manbuns. There is good craft beer, but it's just as rare to find it there as anywhere.

Not drinking beer for the hops is retarded

Manbun detected. How 'bout them Lumineers, eh?

I tried brandy and I liked it, cause there was actual flavor in it, unlike the beers I had. Ironically even though the brandy had like 10 times the alcohol content, I tasted less alcohol in it than the beers. The beer had no flavor.

This. What are you into? Porters, stouts, ales, lagers, sours, IPAs, ambers? You tried the water of beers.

I get it, but I think it really blows that this stigma gets in the way of people enjoying the dare I say more Hipstery side of the beer scene and really appreciating top notch hops utilization.

That phase has sort of calmed down, I live in the Mecca of craft beer and definitely got sick of IPAs and wouldn’t drink them for years but I’m coming back around. Hazy IPAs are good. OP should look at sours and wheat beers I had a raspberry wheat the other day

It's hard to beat a good stout.

There's a local brewery in my city that makes an excellent one... and now I want stout.

I like IPAs but really I'll drink anything that's interesting. Sour, Kolsch, and porters are varieties that can usually provide something novel.

They wouldn't have lied to me.

I always wondered though why everyone has such wildly different opinions of beers. Some people act like they're literally dying when they drink something, and others absolutely love the same beer. It's not like it is with soda, and I don't know why. They're literally tasting something different in the same beer, they have to be.

>Miller High Life
>Budweiser
>Sapporo
>Modelo
>Schlitz

All of these are essentially the same style of beer - American or American-style adjunct lagers. They're meant to be cheap to make, cheap to buy, and easy to drink 12 of over a Saturday while you watch football or whatever. They're the most popular style of beer in the world, but only because they're cheap and inoffensive (read: kinda flavorless).

You said the Guinness stuck out to you. Did you particularly like it? There are dozens of beer styles, and it sounds like you barely tried anything outside of AALs.

There was like 15 different beers, but I can't remember most of their names. I never heard of most of them before. I'm not well versed in beers though. There was also Red Stripe I didn't mention before, but that's the only other name I can remember.

I didn't really think Guinness was that good, it just tasted the most different. It tasted like everything else, except if someone added black coffee to it. There was also some German beer I can't remember the name of, but it was dark like Guinness, and it tasted about the same as it too.