Pascal to C

Going to attempt to take a deprecated pascal utility and write it in C, it's less than 300 lines of code, what am I in for Any Forums?

Attached: th-3366211198.jpg (474x254, 12.53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Manouchehri/c2ctl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

About 300 buffer overflows. Arbitrary code execution bugs.

Is that a language porting issue, or just a jab at my retardation

You'll probably do fine. The only hard part may be non-standard extensions in Pascal.
If you can actually compile the Pascal program you'll be able to analyze its behavior that way too.

What's the utility?

>Pascal: 1970
>C: 1972
from boomer language to boomer language

Attached: 1554246554537.png (376x341, 101.7K)

It's a jab at C.

Its an outdated overclocking utility for Core2 processors, uses MSRs but I haven't looked deep under the hood yet. Needed a coding project and this looks difficult enough. Problem is this code uses the Linux unit, which was phased out a while back, it seems the functions included need to be revamped quite a bit so I thought what the hell.

Anything you'd recommend thatd do the job?

Sounds interesting. Mind sharing more info? Would love to have a look myself.

most pascal can be translated 1-to-1 to C. if you know any pascal at all, it shouldn't be too difficult.

pascal is new to me, and my C is NEET level. Regardless Ill give her the old college try.
this is the repository i found, its about 10 years old github.com/Manouchehri/c2ctl

>github.com/Manouchehri/c2ctl
You can rewrite this in Python or anything really. It's mainly just openning /dev/cpu/x/msr and reading/writing to it.
Don't waste your time with C for stuff like that.

I hope to one day be at a point where I can make such a quick assessment. Thank you sir.

> Was on an IEEE Pascal standards committee back in the day
> Retain absolutely nothing about the language now.

It's been a long road....

Holy shit user, are you in the top bracket of Any Forums millennials? turning 30 myself.
Whats your impression on the languages future?

Pascal eternally BTFOs all other OOPLs. Don't change a thing buddy.

school me sensei

It is fun, it has been around for a long time, and it is the only OOP language I can work with comfortably, therefore everything else a shit. Thank you for attending my Ted Talk.

Where the fuck do you work and are you hiring? That sounds super fun.

Learn Ada you fool. Not only is it vastly superior to C, but it is much easier to port Pascal code over.

Rewrite it?
It's a 300 line pascal program, just write it in C. You don't need to get into the weeds, just determine the function of the program and write a new solution.

Not doing this for work, but I have some dough and want to start a digital forensics company by next spring, would like more experience in not-so-low level languages for firmware/malware analysis. (Yes I mainly do X86)

Fair, just looking for pitfalls.
Redpill me

You will only confuse yourself trying to juggle learning the various quirks of a new language while also trying to solve a problem, and you will probably bring along unneeded baggage.
Imagine trying to solve a geometry problem by going to the ancient Greek section of a library, grabbing Euclid books and transcribe them to English. When you could have just solved it with methods you know. Bonus, you actually gain experience.