It literally just works

it literally just works

Attached: X.Org_Logo.svg.png (1279x1024, 80.66K)

and that's why it's wrong and doesn't fit linux

I used to hate X until I used Wayland. Now I love it. It even works with nvidia.

I apologize for every bad thing I've ever said about Xorg. It turns out that boomertech is better after all.

Multimonitor VRR (or even just regular vsync) don't work and won't work until one of you faggots stops being lazy and actually fixes it.

multimonitor vsync works for me

Multimonitor vsync on Xorg only works in its cucked form - driver-level vsync.
Application-level vsync doesn't work because a program needs to cover the entire X screen (which in a typical Xorg setup covers multiple physical monitors) to flip.

>Application-level vsync doesn't work
Works for me. I drag mpv across different monitors and the refresh rate updates.

It's not application-level vsync, it's basically just driver-level triple-buffering. Not the same thing.
The side-effect of application-level vsync not working is that multimonitor VRR on Xorg doesn't work. This could almost certainly be solved with another driver-level hack but it seems nobody is interested in actually doing it.

I don't understand what the distinction is supposed to be. I can wait on a vblank from a specific monitor and then draw again. Sounds like application level vsync to me.

Go look into the source code of Xorg DDX drivers (xf86-video-amdgpu or xf86-video-modesetting) if you want to actually understand how it works. I'm too retarded to explain it.

I thought that this was a meme until I tried to use cairo with xlib. it tears practically every time I redraw the window

how do I fix the tearing?

*tears*

imagine still not using compositor and thinking tearing is an issue even on Xorg

I hope Gnome switches to Wayland fully so everyone is going to drop it.

Compositors on Xorg render everything at the same, fixed framerate which causes stuttering if you have monitors with mixed refresh rates. Also they prevent VRR from working.

>fixed framerate which causes stuttering if you have monitors with mixed refresh rates
doesn't happen to me with picom

You either have some driver-level cope enabled (e.g. TearFree) or are blind/retarded.

>no server-side window decorations
Great way to ostracize everything that doesn't conform to the GNOME/GTK cult.

>You either have some driver-level cope enabled (e.g. TearFree) or are blind/retarded.
It works fine without TearFree too.

>Great way to ostracize everything that doesn't conform to the GNOME/GTK cult.
I hate that cult.

Without TearFree you only have 3 options:
- the framerate is capped to the slowest monitor and you don't have screen tearing
- the framerate isn't capped and you have screen tearing everywhere
- you have "AsyncFlipSecondaries" enabled and get screen tearing on non-primary monitors

I dunno man. With just picom's default and no tear free it all works fine for me. No tearing and glxgears changes refresh rate based on the monitor. The no multimonitor VRR thing is true (that doesn't work), but otherwise I've never been able to verify claims about how xorg can't work with multiple refresh rates.