Does Wayland support a mode where it lets programs push output immediately to the monitor without compositing and...

Does Wayland support a mode where it lets programs push output immediately to the monitor without compositing and without VSync, so that I can get lower latency in exchange for tearing like in X11?

Attached: Wayland_Logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 63.16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/blob/main/GOVERNANCE.md
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i wish it did
crts don't tear and fast displays make tearing invisible so there would be no downsides for gameing

Yeah, depends on the compositor.

what compositor does gnome use?

It's called direct scanout. It only works (unreliably) for fullscreen applications and only supported by very few compositors.

Nope. Your only hope is for kwin to implement something like this.

That doesn't work either. It's less bad than compositing, but it's still limited to only mailbox mode.

mutter

Didn't gamescope at least help with latency? Unfortunately that doesn't work with VRR

No. Wayland is opposed to user choice. You are not permitted to look at imperfect frames for any reason. Latency is no excuse. You WILL enable the vsync.

>crts don't tear
Yes they do.
>fast displays make tearing invisible
Fast displays make tearing less obvious. The fastest displays are LCDs.

>>crts don't tear
>Yes they do.
doesn't work on my machine
i don't run a compositor and see no tearing
oh maybe it is because of high refresh rate, but i don't see it at all

Yes, tearing becomes hard to see above 100FPS or 100Hz. In the first case because the steps will be too small to notice and in the latter case because the rest of the frame gets drawn quickly enough.

>Does Wayland support...
no

No, wayland is not made for gaming

The funniest part about wayland-protocols is that one NACK will apparently block something from being merged according to their own rules. So basically it would just take a GNOME member NACKing something and an important protocol would never ever make it upstream.
gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/blob/main/GOVERNANCE.md

Attached: 2022-07-25-172204_2391x464_scrot.png (2391x464, 179.78K)

>ACKed
i knew it was about wayland before seeing the link

You probably don't notice PWM flicker either.
I use a 144Hz monitor and cap framerates at 500fps to save electricity. I can easily see the tearing, but it does not annoy me because it's a beneficial feature.

Full screen gnome Wayland has lower latency than Xorg

500FPS??? Well, I guess if every display refresh is guaranteed to show 4-5 tear lines it starts becoming noticeable again.
>gnome
Found your problem.
BTW, you can't even get a 3 frame swap chain on Wayland with mesa AMD graphics drivers.

Lmfao. The Wayland answer for everything.
>can I use wayland without compositing?
>well, that's up to the compositor

then why does everything feel so sluggish? is it just xwayland problem?
>You probably don't notice PWM flicker either.
no, i can see the oled display on my phone doing that

Yeah, is there a problem with that?
Browser features also depend on the browser, not HTTP. Wayland is the only reason every linux desktop didn't implement their own Mir.

Wayland is probably the most poorly managed FOSS project of all time. Any technical merit you may think it has (which is not much imo but w/e), flies out the window if you spend some time reading through issues and MRs upstream. There's an incredible amount of bikeshedding, feature hostility, and blindness to common use cases. The 14 year mark is lurking right around the corner.

Ok cool
Might be, I do not experience sluggishness when I play games on full screen.

Full screen xorg on any non-shit desktop environment is done with 0 screen copies or delays. Wayland cant technically have lower latency.