Is retro computing a mental illness?

Is retro computing a mental illness?

Attached: 1553455207956.jpg (1200x900, 215.28K)

old bad new good

This is the boomer "son, one day all of this will be yours" except by a turn of fate, it will actually be somewhat valuable.

No bit you probably have a mental illness if you're this mad over old tech
You need to see a psychiatrist

It depends if they have a few choice historically significant machines, but if all they seem to do is have walls full of hoarded old machines, yes, it's a mental illness.

For the most part, yes.
There is some fun and some legitimate reasons to have old hardware. But 80% of it is garbage and of no consequence.

All this shit is going in the dumpster the moment the old man kicks it.
If he's lucky, the other opportunistic retroomers who know about your collection will come by your house and bargain with the family to take it off their hands for free or for pennies.

went to a computing museum and booted up a BBC Micro from the 80s, tried to type some BASIC code... it exploded

If the family is dumb, sure. If you sell all this shit on ebay you can probably make about 15k.

its nostalgia and it will happen to YOU

Attached: grumpy old man.png (512x384, 267.83K)

>If the family is dumb, sure
Families are fucking retarded.
W*men will literally throw away 10s of thousands $ worth of old junk just to imagine how pissed the deceased would have been.

Retro computing is quickly becoming unfun. Most systems from the 80's and early 90's are breaking and, unless you are an electronic wiz, they are hard to diagnose and fix. I'm not a collector but I have a few systems and most of them need some maintenance. I think in maybe 5 years prices for retro tech will actualy start decreasing.

It's another class of physical investments. It's in the same class as land, precious metals and collectibles like baseball cards and Funko pops.
Physical goods like computing hardware are naturally deflationary and offer a valuable tool for your investment goals

>he woulda wanted it to go to someone who truly appreciates its value for free
lol gotta love parasite boomer hobbyists
model trains, HAM, classic cars
half the time they're salivating so hard they won't even wait until the funeral stuff has started let alone the dude's buried

I really don't get the appeal.
At least with console gaming, the game software is still worth playing because they're games.
All anyone does with retro computers is play period-correct video games, but on hardware that is far more prone to failure.

amigafags are especially bad, they'll deliberately buy up amigas priced too low on ebay and flip them for 3x the price to keep the community small and elitist

>except by a turn of fate, it will actually be somewhat valuable.
It'll only be valuable to the other few mentally ill collectors which is a dying breed.

When a select few people have basically everything and won't give it up. What value does something have to the greater population?

They are already breaking apart but the prices are still high, I often see mobos with bad caps on ebay for over 50 bucks.
People think that a recap will fix everything.

>unless you are an electronic wiz, they are hard to diagnose and fix
Just be a retard on YouTube, when you inevitably break rare items people will just keep sending you more.

Attached: 8bitguy-1.webm (853x480, 2.56M)

Do any of you faggots have hobbies outside of ricing your desktop?

8-bit guy is such a fucking retard, Adrian's Digital Basement is so much better.

>8-bit guy is such a fucking retard, Adrian's Digital Basement is so much better.
And yet... people actively beg him to allow them to ship rare items to him so that he can dunk them in peroxide and possibly short out some irreplaceable hardware.

Attached: Capture.jpg (343x369, 23.89K)

>le irreplaceable
No one cared about it anyway