If programming is like math and you learn it best by doing projects

If programming is like math and you learn it best by doing projects.
Would you learn math better by doing math projects?

Attached: images (81).jpg (339x280, 11.09K)

the only way to learn to code is memorizing the entire SICP, fren.

I thought that was for networking or something

i get all my knowledge and wisdom from god
i just ask for it and he gives it to me

What are math projects? I dont think math and programming are similar, you don't "do" math like you do programming

Oh sorry I confused it with the Cisco certificates

>Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
>networking

isn't that like, proofs?

yes. write out proofs for things to understand them better
yes

>Would you learn math better by doing math projects?
Yes, of course. That's actually what those shitty logic problems in your text book were for. It's also why integrated math tends to work better since the students can relate it to something practical, whether it's physics, chemistry, probability, etc. There are bookies who dropped out of 10th grade who understand probability better than 75% of first-year college students. There are drug mules who understand logistics better than 75% of first-year b-school students.

>Would you learn math better by doing math projects?
Yes, you come up with ideas and play with them, that's maths.

just do scientific computing and solve pdes and do both at the same time.

www.dealii.org

are you proposing the idea of finding applications for theory? think you might be on to something, no one has ever done that

Well see it's not just word problems or find the size of the statue of liberty or whatnot.
It's got to be like programming. Where you think of a project and you copy paste some stuff and switch some stuff until you get what you want or something. I don't know how you'd go about doing that.

Yes, though in math its done by proofs and even if you dont want to do proofs honestly just doing math is enough, thats why more unique fields of math like geometry,trig, calc, etc. in my experience feel easier to get a grip of because you automatically have something like a shape to work off of. This method of thinking also applies to all other fields in a sense, you learn (at least in my experience) by doing not by reading textbooks not by memorizing or any of that drivel. You do trial and error and occasionally stopping to correct course either by a mentor or your study material then right back to work. This is also why this is the case sometimes in fields, people who have to face the real world use of certain things everyday are'nt exactly savants but quickly get a grasp of things like statistics because whether they like it or not they need at least a rudimentary understanding

The closest thing I can think of is books which leave significant results to the exercises but break them down into smaller parts and it is your job to solve the individual parts and piece them together to get the main result. An example of this would be Pinter's abstract algebra book, which (for example) guides you towards Sylow's theorem by having you solve half a dozen easier problems first. Most other books would state and prove the result and instead you would have to solve tangentially related problems rather than the main theorem.

>If programming is like math
it's not

Not all programming is like math. The foundational stuff and the stuff focused on solving new problems is heavily involved with math. But your bog standard dev job has neither formal correctness nor any mathematics inherent to the design aside from some basic arithmetic. Meanwhile, CS PhDs study shit like compressed sensing, where you can get pictures and signals from far less actual samples than you would "need" as long as you can make a sophisticated "sketch." Literal magic
[this is why software dev is cringe wageslavery but computer science is mega based]

>if programming is like math
>you need to be a math lord to get into IT
>you need to be a numbers God to get into programming, CS and stuff
biggest memes of all time
99% of math found in IT/programming grades are literally never applied in real life
its main purpose is just to filter people by making them study harder on the side
it's secondary purpose is to help your brain develop and enhance problem solving capabilites
but programming is NOT like math AT ALL

If your job is “programming/IT” then you won’t need math.
If your job is engineering (and I don’t mean any fucking clown calling themselves an engineer because muh code), then it’s pretty common to use math.

I learned maths through programming. The only maths I could do in school was addition, subtraction and multiplication, couldn't even do division.

Learned algebra through variables, geometry, trigonometry and pi through making games, waves and noise from procedural generation