Bro just put everything in static arrays haha

>bro just put everything in static arrays haha

Who fucking thought this was a good idea?

Attached: dod.png (755x317, 329.74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirth's_law
github.com/dbartolini/data-oriented-design
youtube.com/watch?v=jjEsB611kxs&t=2908s
youtu.be/ZHqFrNyLlpA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Overarching modern programming paradigm is to produce results as quickly as possible without regards to efficiency, maintainability, and scalability.

Isn't the opposite true?

Game developers

No matter what BS word salad they use to promote their new meme frameworks and design patterns, the result is the same.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirth's_law

Software does more things than ever though.

>Bro, do processors really?

I like the idea of DOD but I wish there were more readily available good, working examples of it. There's that famous C++ conf talk by that faggot who spent more time trying to catch his breath than actually talk about DOD, but that's pretty much it.

github.com/dbartolini/data-oriented-design

Its just kinda what you end up with when you learn what the hardware does and actually care about optimisation.

I think people just take notes from it and try to implement Entity Component Systems and then fall over later.

so imgui uses this

if you think dod is about putting everything in static arrays, you're missing the point.
just figure out what data is essential to the problem you're solving, then write the code to transform input into output data.
it just so happens that you often have a lot of uniform data, and putting it all in an array might be the most straightforward way to process it.

Attached: baitBigger.jpg (1000x1000, 45K)

Someone who read pic related

Attached: 1658746954034.jpg (404x500, 24.34K)

I think the main proponent of all this was with Unity's gameplay code.
There are certain paradigms that just don't fit well with Data Oriented approaches. User Interface and Gameplay code are two examples.

>just figure out what data is essential to the problem you're solving, then write the code to transform input into output data.
you just described all programming

Jonathan Blow has some YouTube videos where he talks about it to a pretty good level of autistic detail. He's very opinionated and maybe has his own niche view of things, but you will learn a lot listening to him on this topic in particular.
He is literally creating his new language Jai based on a lot of these data oriented design ideas.

Isn't that kind of thing thing with data oriented programming? Its how you do that and have it go fast.

>computer hardware can zip through arrays really fast
>hey, maybe if we structured our data in arrays it would go fast
>structure your data in arrays, it goes fast
Thats pretty much it

There's nothing 'data orientated' about Jai

This is the best video on it.

youtube.com/watch?v=jjEsB611kxs&t=2908s

Here is a video literally talking about the data oriented design features in Jai by Mr Blow himself.
youtu.be/ZHqFrNyLlpA

You're retarded

You have a problem, you design a solution to fit the requirements. If you can't do that you shouldn't be a programmer. No "muh spoonfed designs" will save you.

He removed that

Weren't all the SOA concepts in the language ditched?
It has got reflection though. Fuck I wish Rust and C++ and D had that.