Desktop power supplies:

Desktop power supplies:

> let's add a lot of vents and a huge fan to cool it efficiently

Laptop power supplies:

> let's stuff it with epoxy and seal the case, make sure there are no holes, we don't want this shit to leak any heat, don't we? gotta conserve heat

Attached: adapter.jpg (1600x1200, 120.75K)

based hotlaptop, cold room
? hotlaptop, based.

Laptop power supplies never go over 100W and even then they rarely max out their rating.
You can get these kinds of PSUs for desktop systems, they're called nano ATX.

A typical desktop system is at least double that amount at 250-300W in it's base configuration.

Still, what is the fucking point of sealing? Even phones have screws.

>even phones have screws
not anymore, lol

They never get very hot anyway.

An idiot might open it, electrute itself and then sue.

> screws

lmao imagine disassembling electronics
what are you, a hacker or something

>typical desktop power supply 450W-850W
>typical laptop power supply 50-125W
I wonder why niggertard.

>Laptop power supplies never go over 100W
My W520 has a power brick rated for 170 watts

I am temporarily using a 2A adapter where 4A is needed, the laptop seems to be working fine, what's the worst that can happen?

Safety and resistance to the elements

Kinda wish there was more sealed power supplies.
Pic related is basically waterproof but still rated for full load at 55C ambient

Attached: 1652160092453.jpg (777x598, 53.63K)

Could damage it but probably either it just won't charge while running, or nothing will happen. I had one laptop with no charger and the bottom of it said 19 V 4.7 A. Not having a brick that could do 4.7 A or more, I connected it to my variable voltage bench power supply at 19 V. I tried everything I could think of but even charging while maxing out the CPU and GPU with the screen at full brightness I couldn't get the fucker to draw more than 2.2 A. Now I'm wondering why they shipped it with such a bulky 4.7 A brick.

Might just be cheaper to ship one power brick rather than making several different models.
Could also be they like to ship more powerful bricks than needed so they run cooler and last longer.

Of course you did say that number was at the bottom of the laptop, usually input amperage requirements are laughably overstated than what the device actually uses for whatever reason. An Apple 5W brick "requires" 0.15A of AC current.

>Laptop power supplies never go over 100W
Well, that's objectively fucking false, not even gonna read the rest of your post. Fucking retard.

> Could damage it
damage what? the laptop or the charger? I don't care about the brick, just need it to work for a few days till the new one arrives

They only have to produce a single voltage and one that is nearer to the input voltage.

how else do you stay warm in the winter?
thank you lenovo gods for thinking ahead

> 100-240v

how?

voltage sensing auto switching circuitry

The epoxy is way better at conducting heat away than air, i don't thing laptop power supplies would live very long if they couldn't distribute the heat to their whole chassis

Plastic conducts heat way better than metal.