Best general purpose language?

If I want to learn a language for random use, or simply to get better at programming more broadly, what is the best to learn? I'm thinking either pic rel or Python, since Python is used a lot on Raspberry pi's, and used a lot for random stuff I actually might deploy for personal use.
I only know JS, some bash, and some Python atm. Should I just keep working with Python, or is learning something like C better?

Attached: THE-C-PROGRAMMING-LANGUAGE-BY-BRIAN-AND-DENNIS.png (655x618, 167.57K)

Go

C or Rust. Python isn't suitable for general use because it's too slow and depends on C/C++ libraries to do anything anyway
>no threading
total non-starter in 2022.

>>no threading
>total non-starter in 2022.
are you retarded?

I went through my year or so as a UNIX/C weenie, and it probably taught me things about working on embedded systems or language runtimes, but unless you're writing a custom allocator and have a good knowledge of fuzzing/static analysis, use a higher level language. If you want a workhorse language: Scala, OCaml and Lisp are promising candidates. If you want to become a better programmer, try working through SICP or HTDP

Common Lisp, it can be used for anything from writing an OS (see Mezzano) to small scripts, and it's a good learning experience as well

Fortunately, most people with a lisp can be successfully treated with speech therapy. Speech therapy aims to help the individual learn how to produce speech sounds correctly. This usually involves exercises that help the person become aware of their tongue movements and mouth position when producing specific sounds.
You can do this when you finish getting your lisp.

> ...to get better at programming more broadly
Learn everything, C included.
> ...for random use
Stay 300+ feet away from C as a minimum

Python is piss easy but the more I use it the more I hate it. I am not sure if it's a good idea as a starter language. It will definitely spoil you. Python is more like a playground to call libraries to do something for you quick and dirty. If you try to implement something for yourself you will start to notice more language flows. Like whitespace syntax bugs and slow execution times to name the most surface level.

C is bare bones and teaches one or two good things about how memory works and is managed. However it is also very hard to build anything more complicated than a fizzbuzz on it. You have to do almost all the work yourself. The complete opposite of python.

I haven't touched C++ in years. It's a giant mess but on the other hand it is the number 1 language for pretty much any high performant application. Most important libraries that many other languages use are written in C++.

I have heard that java is mid level in terms of difficulty because the memory is managed automatically by the virtual machine that java runs on. Java follows very strictly the object oriented programming. EVERYTHING must be part of some class regardless if it makes sense or not. It will keep you locked in a very specific way of thinking.

Rust is a joke. The people who use it are more interested to "Rewrite everything in Rust" instead of building some useful software or library.

Lisps (scheme or common) have a unique way of syntax but it can a bit confusing with the parentheses. They don't lock you down to use one way of thinking or another. It is not a widely used language today but it can help you think more deeply about some problems that you will face while writing programs. There is also some quality literature around those languages (see Structure and Interpretation of computer programs).

tldr. No language is perfect for a beginner. All have their flows and drawbacks.

Ruby

C++, the standard library has been almost retard-proof since C++11
plus you'll be learning forever

Carbon

based

>python
>to get better at programming more broadly
topkek

Java.

Ruby

Python is by far the most practical. I started on Python, and I'm now learning C and constantly wondering why it is so autistic and what I would even use it for. C seems to embody everything bad in a programming language, and many manual tasks are left to the programmer when they could be easily abstracted away and dealt with by the compiler. It's completely absurd.

C++ with legacy C
You can write C++ with C's standard library and C concepts just fine, sprinkle C++'s algorithms when you dont want to write something yourself and you have the best general purpose programming tool
best combo ever (also very sellable skill if you manage to build something substantial)

Attached: aurru_f9440f677490120372ffbb5ca9454cc3_png.png (756x1000, 1.49M)

you should stick with python so you can use it to do the things you wanted to do in the first place

Performance, readability and control, retard.

>C seems to embody everything bad in a programming language, and many manual tasks are left to the programmer when they could be easily abstracted away and dealt with by the compiler. It's completely absurd.
That means your brain is still normal. Smart people have been saying that for decades and they're right.

You can attack any problem with C++, no matter the field, be it finance, bio engineering, electronics, robotics, webdev, operative systems, etc. Also this

Borrow OP's thread for similar question: Which should I learn as just a hobbyist, in order to build a good sense and understanding of programming?

>best general purpose language
That'd be java.
Don't let the pajeet memes fool you. It takes some time to get used to.

>C seems to embody everything bad in a programming language, and many manual tasks are left to the programmer when they could be easily abstracted away
Are you this braindead? Fucking nigger monkey

Anyone who doesn't say Python is straight up trolling or retarded. It requires the least amount of "trivial computer knowledge," mirrors natural language, and is for actual work involving Linear Algebra (aka the underlying structure of fucking everything).

All this random shit like Ruby or Lisp is hobbyist discord vomit for "people" who sit on their computer re-reading your pic related larping as programmers.

If truly want to learn computers such that you'll enter industry and are interested in systems, networking, or threading, learn C/C++ simultaneously.

Attached: 832740923.png (1932x926, 166.1K)

>no threading
>parallelism as a free variable inherent to a concurrent system is not enough!
>you also need redundant, and possibly dangerous, access to a threading model!
I think it's retarded.

Sort if related, but should i read SICP or TAOCP if i want to learn about the theory side of programming? I was originally thinking SICP but i remember hearing bad things about it somewhere and found TAOCP a little while later