E readers

Are e readers really worth it? I want to read more but I don’t want to pay 200 quid for some chink shit.

Should I just get an iPad at this point?

Attached: FEAB463F-BFB9-422B-9D58-C9A7FC34E100.jpg (1200x800, 137.78K)

it's better because of good battery life and that you don't ever need to pay for another book again

Is there a good open source privacy one?

Old Kindles are practically free at goodwill.

Attached: Untitled.png (1446x1048, 214.67K)

kobo let you install third party software without exploits and stuff, koreader is an opensource reader replacement for them that's good

>iPad
Uh oh, you shouldn’t have said that. Now currynigger spam is after your thread

I got a paperwhite for like 60 bucks new from amazon.
Loaded it up with over a thousand books, battery never dies... i swear i can read for a month without charging.

No weird spying shit built into the paperwhite either, the only potential downside is if you wanted to read books with pictures or use your tablet to browse internet.

But if you just want to read actual books in bed, it's pretty sick.

Can recommend. Bought 2nd gen when it came out and been using it daily since. The only new features that could be worth considering are warm light (2nd gen has only blue light, which is not great but works if you need it), newer models being waterproof (I just put it in a drybag when hiking) and usb-c.
With any model you get a great reading device that is small, light and needs to charge once a month. Also you can read outside on a sunny
day.
When you start inevitably pirating books I would recommend either jailbreak or just not connecting to internet though. Amazon has a habit of fucking up my collection every time I turn off airplane mode.

>be me
>look up a Kindle on Amazon
>with ads
>without ads
wtf

Fun fact, you can buy the one with ads and then open a support ticket with amazon and they will remove them for free. They literally will not accept money if you buy the "with ads" version and then say you want to pay to remove them.

same here, had mine for 5+ years at this point and have had zero issues. do you use calibre to manage your library?

I pirate the epub/djvu/cbz, then I often do buy the books new.

Attached: 1638968305683.jpg (250x250, 22.54K)

buy it with ads, then Koreader the damn thing.

Which one supports koreader better the kindle or the kobo? I would also take the one with the better battery life.

Kobo can flash koreader by just dropping files into the root directory.
The kindle needs to be jailbroken then koreader isntalls just fine.
You can get a used kindle for the price of a few coins and a wet fart. Kobos typically carry a bit more of a premium even used. I think the replacement for the Forma from kobo looks very appealing, if only they had retained the ipx8 water resistance. If you go above 6" do check that the screen is 300dpi, otherwise it just doesn't look good.

Attached: 1640966196730.jpg (4032x2268, 2.32M)

Kobo because it's Linux and isn't locked down in any real way. People have installed full Linux desktops on Kobo where you can watch YouTube inside firefox in openbox at 1 frame every couple seconds.

It's been so many decades, and moot still hasn't fixed this bullshit. oh well.

>Are e readers really worth it?
Yes
>200 quid
They are like idk literally free, you can get them used in anglo countries, quit whining.
>iPad
Fuck no

Bought a kobo clara hd and being able to just pirate books but have them look like i'm reading off paper is pretty convenient great for travel and has tons of space (You can change out the sd card to upgrade more storage but its not really practical because of how little space books take up). If I had to buy it again I would. Definitely worth it if you read alot

Attached: 1651197064952.jpg (1242x1215, 172.41K)

>200 quid
Dunno what that is in freedombux but any 6" ereader (which suffices for normal epubs) is roughly $100. A 7" one, which works for manga (at least for my eyes), is like $180.
Look on libgen, find the books you would want to read, and find out how much they'd cost. Once you get more than 10 books they pay for themselves.
Kindles are a bit cheaper and they feel more premium, but Kobos have better features (the UI has better sorting by default, some of them use internal microSD cards for storage, KOReader works better and more easily on them).
>Why use one instead of something else
My eyes get sore easily, no matter what. I've been sensitive to light basically all my life.
>Should I get an iPad
If you don't want an ereader, an Android tablet is still a better option in this case, because of sideloading (and Tachiyomi)

I'm using a paperwrite and it aint bad user
the battery life lets me read for days anywhere without having to charge
and if you get a nice case for it like I did it actually does feel like a real book

Attached: 20220724_173522.jpg (4160x3120, 2.68M)

Does OP have a tablet is a good question to ask first. If you don't have a tablet or laptop (or smartphone) then buy that first before getting an ereader user. A ereader doesnt replace a tablet.

The ads only display on the lock screen. I don't even notice them.

>and if you get a nice case for it like I did

Attached: 0acb66f40def050718cdf435c07a3bb2.jpg (409x468, 116.14K)