I keep finding these old rigs. What can I do with them besides loading Waldos' 10 and giving them away?

I keep finding these old rigs. What can I do with them besides loading Waldos' 10 and giving them away?

Attached: 81N92vCSiAL._AC_SS450_.jpg (450x450, 19.87K)

the company I work for still operates these pieces of shit. Theyre Win7 machines and run like it. I wouldnt use them for anything but thick clients for people who really need a computer and cant afford one otherwise.
Theyre too power hungry and have too little expansion for anything server related.

>I keep finding these old rigs
where do I find one

I agree. All these slim models suck.

Look around your local dump or landfill. Or any dumpster behind a computer repair shop.

I have one of these with a Pentium D in it.
It's functional and I feel bad throwing it away but I don't know what to use it for.

I buy those by the pallet on government surplus auction sites and then sell them individually on craigslist, ebay, and amazon.

Huh.. the duality of Any Forums I guess, I've got a bunch of em with 16GB RAM 1TB SSD and Win10, no complaints whatsoever as far as performance.

I did upgrade one to an i-5. It was decent for a while, but you can't put a standard psu in it. That became a problem.

I think the big ssds are a waste of money. I have a ton of old 1tb mechanical drives. I buy the cheap 128gb ssds for the os and then use a secondary mechanical drive for storage.

The ones at my company are 9020s. The ones you see may be a bit better since the 9020 is the base model for that series.
but they have like 8th gen i5s and 8GB of ram

>yes gram gram just open the files on your main storage drive instead of the small primary on
>NO GRAM GRAM NOT THAT ONE
>NOT THAT ONE!

Not everyone is poor

fantastic devices for running a test bare metal kubernetes cluster or any other situation where you want multiples of the same standardized machine. everyone wants to throw them away so they're super cheap, but they're powerful enough for most workloads.
would make for a mediocre daily driver ofc

pihole
sell them as adblockers

ive been DDing a fucking compute stick and its fine

Like I said at the top of the thread, theyre too power hungry to be used in that way. Its more worth your time to wait for RaspPis to come back to shelves and use one of those.
Sure, you could load more onto it to offset the power bleed, but what?

>dedicated hardware solution to a software problem
no thanks, I'm not a brainlet.

>expecting software solutions to continue existing outside of the near future.
Theyre cracking down on ublock
best to have a contingency

>Theyre Win7 machines and run like it
So they work perfectly fine for the office jobs they're assigned to?

Not the hardware's fault if winshit 10 is unusable on HDDs, otherwise they could run almost anything, slap a GT710 and you can even do CAD.

???? you really don't understand what your "pihole" is doing, do you?

It is a tiny computer dedicated to running pihole as a program.
The idea of having a separate device to do so is to let it continue running with the rest of your network without putting stress on computers not meant to be running that constantly.
Can I load PiHole on my desktop? sure.
Do I want to? no. More because of power concerns than anything else.