WTF is his problem?

Linux distros got packages since the first day and nobody complained (dependency hell can be solved if packaged properly). Now they're bad and need to be replaced with bloated falsely sandboxed "apps"?

Attached: 1628721549466.jpg (387x337, 38.48K)

Stop shilling your channel.

youre right, flatbox is the future, but I dont think the linux community will accept that, a lot of them like mantaining repos so that they feel important/useful

god i want to suck nick's cock

>nobody complained
That's not entirely true.
>flatpak is the future
See this Basically, treat distros as operating systems on their own right, and not under a single Linux umbrella.
Otherwise what is the point of distros?
Some people see fragmentation is bad. I hear to both sides, and personally I believe the good outweighs the bad.
Linux is just a kernel anyway, and unlike the youtuber's position, I also trust my distro maintainers, not just the og devs.

>want to download a flatpak of Foliate, a simple ebook reader
>flatpak downloads 1GB+ of org.opengl.nvidia, org.gnome and other shit shit

also this, flatpaks installions are big, they have to fix that

Dependency hell is a problem on Linux. Too much stuff is dynamically linked, and inconsistent versions break stuff. That’s why there is so much Snap/Flatpack/AppImage stuff out there.

Also fuck this god damn CAPTCHA who ever invented this should burn in hell.

>and nobody complained
Blatantly false. Distro packages
1. Lack consistent library naming
2. Lack the guarantee of a library being in the repo
3. Lack the guarantee of a version of a library being in the repo.
The latest victim is the API breakage in libssl when some distros randomly decided to jump from v1.1 to v3.x in some channels.
Wait, hold on, that's not the latest vicitim. The latest victim is the unreal engine 5. Day 1 of releasing the Linux port and it already suffers from distro compatibility issues.
As an app developer, it freed us from maintaining millions of combinations of distros and their repos and save our precious dev focus. The only ones that complain about these are those who do not know how to program and thus do not give back to the community.
>bloated
false. Flatpak will deduplicate similar libraries.
>falsely sandboxed
What the hell does this even mean? Flatpak offers more sandboxing than legacy packages since
1. It understands the difference between a userspace app and a global app
2. has the ability to restrict/de-restrict certain dbus/directory/device permissions for individual apps
3. enforce the use of portals.
All of which legacy package managers have.

Flatpak is the one of the best thing to happen to Linux in a very long time. If it was available before, many third party apps would probably have been ported over to linux by now.

i never understood why a sandbox is necessary to ship dependencies with packages
nix and guix seem to do it just fine without wrapping it in a software layer that hurts more than it helps
if anything, i think the future is going to be a functional package manager that isn't autistic to set up and use

>All of which legacy package managers have.
do not have*

At the end of the day, the contrarian bubble of Any Forums does not matter. I'm happy the upstream Linux is moving away from the legacy garbage that held Linux back for decades.

WTF!! People used to build their roofs with asbestos for a long time and NOW it's a problem?

clickbait commit suicide
shill OP

WTF IS HIS PROBLEM??!?
PEOPLE HAVE BEEN LIVING UNDER THE ROCKS FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS AND NOW THEY ARE BAD AND NEED TO BE REPLACED WITH FALSELY SECURED WALLS?????

Attached: 25f.png (600x494, 269.45K)

Flatpak is poor for one off apps for that reason, but if you use them a lot the shared runtimes make sure you're not really wasting that much space. The runtimes are shared by many apps and dedupped between versions so the actual space use per app is much, much smaller than what you might think

It's not necessary, they're not tied to each other. See AppImage for example. But it's just another useful feature.

Why cant we have the same package manager with the same repo for every distro? Most linux distros are incredibly similar.

Then there would be only one distro.

>fuck this god damn CAPTCHA
buy a pass

Attached: 1655683137156.jpg (1920x1080, 550.62K)

He's right.
The last thing I want as a developer is bug reports that should really belong on Debian/Ubuntu/Arch/Fedora/OtherIreelvantDistro's forums.
The last thing I want as a user is to be forced to wait 2-4 years until Debian/Ubuntu get a working version of the software I want to use, and hope it won't be outdated by the time they packaged it. Ubuntu 22 (the 2022 release) *still* has obsolete packages from 2016-2020 which just don't work anymore. And you're forced to use scripts or 3rd party repos to get the actual version supported by devs.
The last thing I want as a user is to have to rely on PPAs or AUR to get software, which will just break my system randomly in a few months after I do a system update, due to some retarded package version conflict.

I use Flatpaks and Appimages for majority of software because I can always expect these to work no matter which distro I use. And I never have to worry about my system breaking.
It would be best if only low-level system stuff is packaged traditionally. Desktop environments should be updated by DE devs and user-facing software should be packaged by official devs using flatpaks or appimages.

This too. libssl simply broke most software if you switched from Ubuntu 20 to 22. So if you're using anything that needs libssl 1.1 you're not allowed to upgrade to v22. And if you don't upgrade to v22 most software you use won't get any feature or bugfix updates.

There'd probably be only 1 main distro. But there'd still be forks of it. There's dozens of Ubuntu forks which only exist to provide a specific out of the box experience and target specific user groups.

What's the difference between a flatpak, an appimage, and a docker container?

t. Tech illiterate retard

nothing relevant
just linux autists redesigning the wheel because they hate the design of the spokes

>flatpak,
A new package format that works in all mainstream and semi-obscure distros
>an appimage,
A crude mockery of window's .exe but it fails randomly because Linux does not have backwards compatibility like windows
>and a docker container
A container meant for deploying server-side apps on Linux/Windows/Mac. Meant for backed web developers and sysadmins.

Appimage is basically like a portable .exe file on Windows. You double click it, it runs. It's generally compatible with every distro, but Canonical managed to fuck it up with Ubuntu 22 and you're forced to install some library to make Appimages work.
A flatpak is a package manager and a packaging format. It's somewhat disconnected from the actual OS and allows you to easily set which permissions an app will have. For example, most software by default cannot access anything outside your Downloads dir. You can block internet access, I/O device access like microphones, etc.
A Docker container is more similar to a virtual machine than a package. It's a system to make reproducible builds of software and is mainly used to build software or launch servers. It's not used as a user application.

before
>lazy devs were forced to update their shit
>abandoned software was either forked or just replaced
after
>abandoned software still functions
>15 gtk versions
>4 qt versions
>no two "app" opens the same looking file dialog
>drag and drop and copy paste is broken again

Can't wait.

>>no two "app" opens the same looking file dialog
FilechooserNative portal
>>drag and drop and copy paste is broken again
Drag and drop portal

Luckily, flatpak wasn't designed by retards, it's almost like they know what they are doing.