RTX Meme

Upgraded from a 1060 to a 3070.
Red-pill me why the RTX is so revolutionary, because I hardly see the difference, with exception of the fps.

Attached: LD0005856909_1.jpg (1600x1600, 422.23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/
developer.nvidia.com/rtx/ray-tracing/rtxdi
youtu.be/NbpZCSf4_Yk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>with exception of the fps
As a consumer that's pretty much the only metrics you should ever notice or care about. Oh and now this card being an RTX thingy so you can play Q2 or Serious Sam with raytracing and good FPS at the same time so here's that.

Raytracing looks nice on some games, but to use it properly you just need the top tier cards, RT is more useful for game devs more than anything desu.

I mean, more FPS + higher res (if needed) is kinda the whole point. Only few games use RT properly, and it's a tech from this gen, it won't get better until next gen.

>hurr durr my new graphics card only gets better frame rates, resolution, and ray-tracing
>why is this an improvement again?

seriously OP?

RTX was brought up during a time when we couldn't think of a GPU shortage, Nvidia wanted to give a twist to the GPU market but it was a feature hard to implement on games, personally I was excited about DLSS and always thought it was a more important feature, turns out it is and RTX nowadays is not really something even finished nor widely supported. And given the pandemic, it won't be for some time until it really becomes mature enough.
Most people cares about classic rasterization, their FPS, and the SuperSampling for non-high end users, NVIDIA also offers encoding (NVENC), its CUDA API and RayTracing, which compared to what AMD offers, it is still a better option, even on Linux.
Overall, I'm glad Intel is starting to sell GPUs and I hope this brings a lot of improvements on every feature a GPU has to offer.
My 2060 is all I need for now, I'm glad I had it during the pandemic.

I would not expect to have it ready next gen.

Have you tried the new foss drivers? They're still in alpha/beta and it requires flashing your GPU. It's more stable than AMD drivers but not everything supports it yet. If I try enabling gsync it will fall out of sync with my monitor. I'm certain they're aware because updates fixed it better already. It used to just crash the driver.

I get that, but for most games a 1060 is sufficient to play a game on decent graphical settings and proper fps.

I bought the setup mainly for the new Unreal 5 Engine, to test out implement these technologies (Lumen, Nanite, ...). CUDA already was properly implemented during the 10xx series.

I'm just surprised that for a difference of 6 years now there's hardly an improvement on the commercial gaming range. 6 years difference would have made a serious difference before (6 years before would upgrade you from a geforce 560 to a 1060).

Not that I'm unhappy with my upgrade, it was due time after 5 years with it struggling a bit when working with the Unreal Engine, but the overall performance increase is more negligible for the average consumer.

I haven't, I still installs the akmod driver. It works fine, and yes, NVIDIA drivers overall are way more stable than AMDs. I use my GPU mostly for encoding, AMD encoder is shit, and I really tried to use it.
We had huge hardware improvements but software optimization has been receiving no attention overall, specially from bigger firms with the most budget. Recent games are just playable through DLSS/FSR or by choosing low settings.

So it's more a case of software devs not fully implementing the new technology. I assume due to market priority target (both pc and console users)?

store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Don't care about RTX, but DLSS, DLDSR and DLAA are good and non-gimmick features desu

Err its like 2-3x faster than a poorfag 1060
Then again you fucked up not getting the 6800xt because its not packed with proprietary BS it will have a longer lifespan

DLSS is literally accepting garbage image quality to extend the products lifespan.
>but thats good!
yes for the average joe but also no for high end/work users. if you need precision "features" like DLSS destroy that.

Before realtime ray tracing, the most common way to get global illumination would be to fake it by literally pre-rendering (or "baking") the lighting into the textures. The downside with this technique means that affected objects had to be static or else it would ruin the illusion. Sadly this means developers would have to choose between interactivity/destructibility or lighting.

Realtime ray tracing conceptually means there no longer has to be any compromise between the two.

Attached: baked-lighting.webm (1920x1080, 2.74M)

>Before realtime ray tracing
Someone post old Prey webm

It also helps with illumination constraints.
developer.nvidia.com/rtx/ray-tracing/rtxdi

As soon as the poorfaggots stop holding us back we'll be able to experience the true potential of raytracing.
youtu.be/NbpZCSf4_Yk
Just have to stop making games compatible with non-RTX cards. They can cope and seethe all they want, but they will be left behind.

cant amd do rt? uh?

DLSS is an abomination and a hack like all anti-aliasing. We are still using blur filters because monitor vendors refuse to make proper high PPI displays. It's fucking criminal that 24" 4K is so rare.

>It's fucking criminal that 24" 4K is so rare.
I agree with that
DLSS is good for shitty single-core reliant gaymes, and for VR gaymes too.

>DLSS is good for shitty single-core reliant gaymes, and for VR gaymes too.
what VR game supports DLSS?

A twist? NVIDIA needed to do it because rasterization has come to the end of the road. We would need exponentially more performance to fake graphics better. Ray tracing when enabled brings an immediate and noticiable change. And for another thing, they had to do it because mobile platforms were catching up. It's their strategy to keep discrete cards alive by using technology mobile platforms are simply not equipped to do.

Native VR gaymes:
Into the Radius VR(didn't tried much, just bought it)
Kayak VR(not noticeable at all)
Legendary Tales(ghosting is noticeable)
Ports:
No Man Sky(unplayable without DLSS, really shit port)
MS Flight Simulator
iRacing