How much of the superb battery life of this thing is purely due to it using an arm processor w/ big battery, vs...

How much of the superb battery life of this thing is purely due to it using an arm processor w/ big battery, vs. it running macos with "muh hardware and software in harmony"?

Attached: sdfsdfsdf.jpg (970x647, 56.03K)

>how much of this hardware's optimization is the optimized hardware
???

Moron

you can tell most of it is better hardware because Apple had worse battery life out of the MBA when it ran Intel CPUs

The Surface X uses ARM and it has only about an hour more battery life than the Surface Pro. So macOS seems more optimized for ARM than Windows at least.

What I mean is, how would the battery life compare to windows running on a qualcom chip with the same size battery? is there anything special about macos or apple silicon that's responsible or would any OS running on an arm chip get that battery life?

this is the sort of answer i was looking for thanks.
so apple arm + apple OS gets way more battery than qualcomm arm + windows OS. assuming the battery size is comparable.

Apple sells hardware based partly on its battery life, so their software teams actually have pressure to optimise power usage. Microsoft, Google, Mozilla, etc. don't have any reason to give a shit, so they don't.
That said, from my limited experience with the past few versions of fagOS, it seems like Apple has slacked off on power usage. So maybe there isn't much of a difference anymore.

based apple making intel seethe

nope, it's still mainly because apple's CPU is lower voltage and lower power draw than qualcomm's

In other words, will the great battery life and cool temperatures evaporate if I install Linux on it?

Seems like a valid question to me. Many people who hate the macOS experience are considering buying these to run Linux because it's the fastest (outside of power hungry stuff like i9) and most efficient laptop CPU you can buy right now.

>he past few versions of fagOS, it seems like Apple has slacked off on power usage
They've slacked off on quality in general. Instead of shitty yearly releases they should've gone biannual and actually taken the time to make shit work well instead of cramming features nobody uses.

My 8GB macbook air is still very usable when I use up all the memory vs a desktop computer with 16GB of ram. My desktop becomes completely unusable once I fill it up with a similar workload.

the OS is basically irrelevant

thing is, m1, m1 pros, and m2s run extremely fast for the power they use, though m2s seem to be having heating issues i think

That's why pinephone gets just as good battery life as some cheap android phone?

m2 has a higher clock speed and more gpus. whenever i use all the cores on my m1pro it gets hot very quickly, that's just how gpus are
m2 is on the same fabrication node as m1 so its a stopgap for m3 which will be on the brand new tsmc 3nm

my 16" M1 macbook pro idles at around 7 watts of usage, my intel 16" MBP idles at around 22 watts of usage [and thats with lower brightness/shittier screen]

with a 100 watt hour battery we have 14.5 hours of battery life with the m1 version, 4.5 hours on the intel version

Their efficiency is about on par with AMDs best offerings while being on a superior node. Now that AMD is going to have access to 5nm and 4nm well see them easily surpass the M1 and M2 in efficiency

You need the power states to be correctly implemented and the video acceleration taken advantage of.
If you got both, linux will probably beat OSX if you use a lightweight DE, but without em, OSX will trounce linux in battery life.

I'm running Asahi Linux on my base M1 Air, and battery life is not great compared to MacOS. Granted, it's still in alpha, but not really for daily usage. I'd say we're still a long way away from native Linux running on M-chips. No support for video codec hardware-acceleration, no bluetooh, deep idle, sleep mode etc. Looking forward to the day Linux just werks on M-series.

Attached: images.png (295x171, 2.16K)

Yes, Apple silicon is obviously special. What a dumb question.