/hsg/ - Home Server General

you need a home server edition

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server

>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense/pfsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud to replace Googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Why should I have a home server?
Learn something new. De-botnet your life. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your Any Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.

>Links & resources
Server tips: anonbin.io/?1759c178f98f6135#CzLuPx4s2P7zuExQBVv5XeDkzQSDeVkZMWVhuecemeN6
RouterOS's: wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server#Custom
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E
Cheap disks: shucks.top/ & diskprices.com/

Previous:

Attached: XhJIZBe.jpg (2880x1800, 652.94K)

tiny gaaaaaaaang

imma head to ikea and get one of those lid holders next week i think

Attached: IMG_20220724_021042.jpg (2016x1512, 413.44K)

what is the point of getting 4 of these shits?
like 1 or 2 i can understand but 4? no

why are you in this thread?

you don't need a home server

uh then how will i boot my desktop and how will i log into it?

i can imagine this being pretty nifty for testing different cluster configurations; getting all 4 part of an ESXi cluster in vsphere, doing vmotioning, testing HA. Good way to emulate environments that would normally involve multiple rack servers but in a much smaller footprint. Probably not something I would use in a production environment but nice for testing. I use power hungry enterprise shit but i respect tiny gang

Noob here. I want to build a server that can accomplish the following:
>Plex server for 2-4 people, can handle transcoding because I'm lazy and download shittily transcoded rips
>radarr, sonarr, lidarr, prowlarr, qbittorrent through a vpn, cloudflare so I can tinker with it outside of the home network
>readarr + calibre to hold books and manga
>Keep everything updated, maybe using dockers and watchtower or something (?)
>Keep everything secure since it will be exposed to the internet
>(optional but nice) Overseerrr to handle kino requests
>Set it up so that if I need to migrate it or re-build it I can save all my settings and not have to do it from scratch
With this in mind, what kind of hardware am I looking at needing?

Noob here. I want to build a server that can accomplish the following:
>play my dvd rips on a firestick. What would be a decent approach?

can someone ELI5 what the coloured cables in this picture are\do please? I've been working in IT for going on 2 years now and see similar ones at work, but have no idea what they do

lmao what the copper ethernet cables?

Attached: 1484090746792.jpg (323x324, 13.82K)

ahh thanks, i had a quick google now i know what to look for and it looks like they are for power
"A copper Ethernet cable works by sending electrical currents up and down the copper wire from one device to another."
can you use these for powering low power computers? im assuming they are too small for high power computers like desktops and laptops

do you want to procreate?

everytime I install a new version of virtualbox guest additions it causes me nothing but grief and I have no idea what good new things the updates ever bring. Maybe I'll stop updating it from now on.

Your biggest expense will be deciding how much storage you want. truenas would be ideal, most of your list can run on anything and you'd use docker or something so it's easy to move around if the need arises. For transcoding a CPU that can perform hardware transcoding will get the job done ez, or if you get old equipemtn you'll want a GPU.

yes you can

never heard of PoE?

thanks! no, but google says thats exactly that its for! apparently it can also be used as a wifi cable for when the wifi goes out which is neat.

fuck you. im a lead UI dev for a mid range company, and probably make way more than you. we have a team that make the hardware and software work so i dont have to

>worked X years in the field
>thinks colored CAT means anything
go back

I'll be buying from scratch, so just truenas and a CPU would be good. What's one of the more cost-effective CPUs I could get for such a task?m

if you pay for hw acceleration you can get away with far less cpu horsepower as long as you get a new enough one that has the right iGPU for your codecs (ie 8th gen i3 or newer).