Former owner of a relatively active imageboard here. The site's long gone...

Former owner of a relatively active imageboard here. The site's long gone, and I won't give any details about which site it was for opsec reasons. Feel free to believe I'm larping.

Ask me whatever you like, though, also for opsec reasons, I may not answer certain things or may sometimes give vague answers.

(And no it wasn't eightchan and there was nothing illegal or sketchy or whatever.)

Attached: 1635554121681.png (600x800, 76.95K)

>it wasn't eightchan and there was nothing illegal or sketchy
Then you are of no interest

N

Can't blame you.

Are you upset that the Cia faked the shooting down in El Paso in order to terminate your site?

I guess I would be if that were to have happened.

nobody cares about your larp faggot

i

What was the highest unique visitor count? When did it peak?

I don't want to give too many specifics, but the peak was in the hundreds of thousands of unique visitors per month.

What's the biggest lesson you've learned from it?
Have any of your opinions on how the world works changed because of it?

When will you die?

>there was nothing illegal or sketchy or whatever
how did your imageboard avoid the plague of pedoglowniggers who constantly post illegal content in a campaign to take down alternative imageboards?
If you had more than a few dozen users, I have a hard time believing that you didn't have to deal with this crap (unless your timeframe was quite a few years ago)

Also, can you speak to the quality and ease of use of the various open source imageboard software packages like Infinity etc?

g

For verification purposes, please indicate where you belong on this helpful chart

Attached: 24E614A0-91E6-4A8F-BE15-9C8075EAD926.jpg (828x823, 553.46K)

>What's the biggest lesson you've learned from it?
That people operating things like large websites or companies shouldn't necessarily be given the benefit of the doubt, but that things can be a lot more difficult and complex than they might seem, and there are often a lot of details going on in any situation that the public isn't aware of or that most of them can't/won't understand or want to understand.

I gained a lot more sympathy for people like moot. In my opinion, moot is probably the best administrator of any imageboard I've seen. His job was harder than most give him credit for, and he handled it quite well given the circumstances.

>Have any of your opinions on how the world works changed because of it?
Slightly. I really saw just how gullible people are and the way information can spread like wildfire, whether it's true or false or a mix. Especially in anonymous communities. I already knew this pretty well, but seeing it firsthand and seeing exactly how it works is pretty interesting.

>how did your imageboard avoid the plague of pedoglowniggers who constantly post illegal content in a campaign to take down alternative imageboards?
This is a myth. (Or at least I'm 99.99% certain of it. Who can ever say for sure.) There was constant spam of this nature, but it's (maybe unfortunately?) much more mundane than you assume.

>(unless your timeframe was quite a few years ago)
I'm pretty sure this has been a thing even since like 2003, honestly. It's an unfortunate thing that'll happen for any kind of website anyone makes. If you make some little geocities-like website with a comment/"guestbook" section with no registration requirements, you're still gonna get the same amount of this kind of spam.

>Also, can you speak to the quality and ease of use of the various open source imageboard software packages like Infinity etc?
I can, but this would reveal too many details. I'll just say some are way, way worse/better than others.

I have a feeling you'll be able to place me yourself by my post here:

Attached: ACA299F0-D9EF-4689-A156-5F994D258079.jpg (225x225, 6.02K)

>This is a myth. (Or at least I'm 99.99% certain of it. Who can ever say for sure.) There was constant spam of this nature, but it's (maybe unfortunately?) much more mundane than you assume.
And just to clarify: there was/is constant illegal spam, but it's not a psyop or whatever. It's largely shitbag Eastern Europeans trying to make money. (Not that Eastern Europeans are shitbags in general or anything like that. A high percentage of the people who do stuff like this just tend to be Eastern European, probably largely due to their legal system.)

Ahh, shall mark you down as Ascended then, gotcha

Yeah, you may be right about it not being a conspiracy, but when the same pattern kept happening on board after board, it sure looked like one to me.

What got you interested in running one of these sites? Was it just because of a special interest/hobby/community of yours that you wanted to make a platform for?
Or just an experiemental direction as you learned about webdev?

Do you have any optimism or perspective about the future of imageboard culture? From the technical side, there are definitely better software platforms for IBs than whatever Any Forums uses.
But I'm talking about the social medium of the IB itself. Do you think they will be less relevant in the future of the internet?

I'm kind of wondering if you will be able to answer any questions that are in any way interesting about this subject without revealing too much info about yourself.

>Do you have any optimism or perspective about the future of imageboard culture?
>But I'm talking about the social medium of the IB itself. Do you think they will be less relevant in the future of the internet?
I don't know exactly what form they might take (or if they'll change at all), but I actually am lightly optimistic. I think there'll always be some demand for things of this nature. They'll never be nearly as big as stuff like Twitter, but I predict they'll never die. Full anonymity offers something pseudonymity can't. If Any Forums died tomorrow, something would take its place.