How may surround speakers are necessary for movies? I'm thinking 8. Center (1), R&L front (2&3), side (4&5)...

How may surround speakers are necessary for movies? I'm thinking 8. Center (1), R&L front (2&3), side (4&5), rear R&L (6&7) and rear center (8). Then 2 subwoofers, one on the floor and the other on the ceiling

Attached: 1645635273608.jpg (2316x3088, 501.91K)

She's cute.
Now, to answer your question: most movies include only 5.1 audio, so adding more than those speakers would be a waste.

I like her body, but her face isn't the best

How did you find this out? What actually happens to the audio in the rear speakers of a 7.1 setup? I find it odd that there is a center front speaker, but not a center back speaker

Attached: 1650299557834.jpg (497x416, 37.55K)

> How did you find this out?
You can check the media info on any movie to know how many audio channels it has. Most are 5.1.
> What actually happens to the audio in the rear speakers of a 7.1 setup?
When you have more speakers than channels, two things can happen: either they aren't used, or they just repeat/mix the closest channel/channels. This depends on your specific hardware and settings.
> I find it odd that there is a center front speaker, but not a center back speaker
You only have two ears. You can have perfect surround audio with only 2 in-ear headphones. You imitate this through more speakers when they are spread around the room, but you get diminishing returns after 4 speakers. It makes no sense to have more in most cases. It's like screen resolution: you won't see any difference between 4k and 8k at normal viewing distances. It's just a marketing gimmick.

Thank you for the input.

Attached: 1650832670556.jpg (1079x1172, 760.26K)

I would unironically claim her and coom deep in her womb daily.

I assume you're trolling with the subwoofers.

I'm a feature film assistant editor. Our edit bays are usually 5.1 but we tend to do our sound work in "3.1" (L,C,R and VERY OCCASIONALLY send something to LFE aka the subwoofer). So that's how we the editorial team, and the director hear it while we're making it so I think you could say that's the closest to "artistic intent."

The 5.1 and Dolby Atmos mixes are pretty much the last thing to happen and don't really get as much attention. I think it's more because the theaters demand it as a selling point, honestly.

Attached: image.jpg (1352x2000, 1.32M)

Attached: e29pz5emnbv61.jpg (2316x3088, 543.03K)

Attached: 1617455569434.png (640x853, 425.57K)

>2 subwoofers
>$300 syetem
>I bet it would be

[Vnr.]

I was thinking of making something like this with a TV and some surround speakers inside the vehicle/chamber. I'd put a subwoofer on the roof/ceiling of it and the other on the floor.

Attached: 1611_0.jpg (576x768, 57.19K)

2/10 because you got me to respond

I'm being serious. I want to have the roof rumbling like thunder. Wouldn't that work? I saw a video where people put it in the attic above the theater room

Attached: FNQdIs7VQAE3A_I.jpeg.jpg (960x1280, 261.24K)

I have one sound bar with a built in subwoofer and it does fine by itself

This girl is sexy

You can rumble my ass like thunder if you want

[Vnr.]

5.2.2 is fine if calibrated properly and with minimal room treatment. More than that and you are entering diminishing returns

She’s hot af!

What if you have a 7.1 or 7.2 receiver and the movie is 5.1? Can you make the 7 channel receiver play 5.1 and just shut off the other two channels? Or will it sound like there's a few channels missing?

Attached: R.jpeg-13.jpg (498x750, 76.05K)

You're answers are mostly right, kinda.

When you have more speakers then channels like with 7.1 system and a movie with only 5.1 sound they don't necessarily copy the closest channels they just copy the front left and front right channel, or a mix of the front and rear left channel and also the front and rear right channel. My system let's me choose either method or a mix of them. Works great for adding side speakers.

The center speaker is almost exclusively for voices of the actors/lead singer, depending on how it was recorded.