Will this be the c++ and rust killer?

Will this be the c++ and rust killer?

Attached: carbon.jpg (2048x1536, 288.82K)

Was C++ the C killer?

no, I could've just named this thread.
"discuss this experimental language" but that wouldn't be fun.

Right now its just a lesser version of C++. There are no upsides. Perhaps as it continues forward it will change for the better.

We don't know anything yet. I hope it will hopefully be an attempt at making low level code simpler and more straightforward, something both C++ and Rust failed at.

sexier syntax.

It's a fools errand
You can make high languages simpler but trying to make low languages simpler is like trying to make math simpler. You can't.

In what way?

Everyone is trying to replace C/C++ all of a sudden. We already have Dlang, Rust, Zig, Nim lang, Odin lang, and Hare.

>We already have Dlang, Rust, Zig, Nim lang, Odin lang, and Hare.
Yeah but among these, Rust is the only one to be worried about. I have a feeling that Carbon will get quickly popular, even faster than Rust itself.
Also, everyone is trying to replace C/C++ all of a sudden because of a trend brought from the web where backend and frontend frameworks or languages keep appearing one after the other when it used to be all done in Java & PHP before.

>We already have Dlang, Rust, Zig, Nim lang, Odin lang, and Hare.
and every single one of them is better than c++

>C/C++
2 TOTALLY different languages. Zig is well on its way to be a true C replacement. C++ won't be replaced any time soon. Several languages have tried, D and Rust were really the only one who came close, but then the next C++ standard came out and made them mostly irrelevant. Rust's borrow checker is whats keeping it relevant. Hare and Carbon aren't even trying. Nim is all over the place in a bad way. Not sure about Odin.

Zig and Rust aren't going anywhere in the next 20 years. Everyone wants to get rid of c++ unlike c.

Yes. Businesses are already clamoring for Carbon devs. It's going to be a game changer.

Attached: exakwwaip5d91.png (940x549, 197.67K)

Does it have decidable type expressions?

Have you tried hiring competent C programmers? I'd ask about C++ ones but I already know the answer is no.

so long as we have x86 assembly this will never happen

Rust isn't even alive so talking about a rust killer is dumb.

Already in use by Microsoft, Discord, Dropbox, Amazon, Figma and Cloudflare among others and it's being introduced into the Linux kernel, AND one of the most if not the most performant blockchain (Solana) is entirely written in Rust. Wake up, son.

Still a long long ways off from being used or useful.

Who is that and why ans why isn't the next standard (or 2 since some things take time) not good enough? And what percentage of those people who think C++ needs to be replaced won't at least be placated? My guess is very low.

It's being used, it's being useful. It's growing faster than anything else i know except for flavor of the day JS frameworks. The curve is exponential. If you would've asked me 2 years ago i would've told you it's unlikely to become significant. Today, it's inevitable.

>google project
>An experimental
this should be a red flag at this point.