/twg/ - Tech Workers General

(Formerly /tjg/ - Tech Jobs General)

Friday & Weekend Edition

Thread for those of us who actually work in tech to tell workplace stories, complain about coworkers and management, share advice on how to progress in careers, and discuss the technologies we use at our cagies.

>Getting Started
Want a tech job, but have no degree, skills, or experience? Read these before ruining this thread with basic questions:
christopherming.com/tech-jobs-no-experience/
learntocodewith.me/posts/tech-jobs-no-experience/
acilearning.com/blog/7-tips-for-getting-into-it-with-zero-experience
firsthand.co/blogs/innovate-with-influence-global-high-tech/how-to-get-a-tech-job-with-no-experience
indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/easiest-tech-jobs-to-get-into
Come back once you have informed questions about interviewing, salary negotiation, etc...

>Interview Prep
leetcode.com/discuss/general-discussion/460599/blind-75-leetcode-questions
neetcode.io/
novoresume.com/career-blog/star-interview-questions
blog.interviewing.io/

>Resume Stuff
careercup.com/resume

>Salary Stuff
freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/
fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-negotiation-guide/
codesubmit.io/blog/the-evolution-of-developer-salaries/
levels.fyi/

>How to Respond to Recruiter Spam
pastebin.com/WX4b62Jx

>Layoffs
layoffs.fyi/

>IRC Channel
#Any Forumstwg on Rizon
kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.rizon.net/#Any Forumstwg (web client)

Please suggest more links to add to the lists

Previous:

Attached: 1658529299692781.jpg (1235x650, 271.39K)

That flag doesn't have enough stars.

Just got a job at a gigacorpo. How long should I stay there at best?

There are opportunities for a career, but I don't plan to work there forever (so like more than 5yrs for me).

But 1 year is also too short. Maybe something in-between?

That's because weekends don't have enough days

I successfully argued with my boss and manager to get work from home 3 days a week. But, today was my first day back in office since this started and they were treating me like shit. I also was assigned a month to create a mobile app. I don't know mobile dev or the tech stack they are telling me to use at all. Wtf? Just fire me so I can get unemployment bucks.

How do I steal American jobs?

Attached: us.png (567x340, 19.41K)

I'm wondering that too but I live in Canada so it should be easier.

lol 1 month
if you already have a mobile website that might be enough time to make it able to "pin to home screen" with an icon and look like an app.

Pretty sure I'm going to schedule a call with my manager on Monday morning to give my resignation notice...
I've only been here 4 months, and it's a good company I guess, but this role has already entirely morphed into the kind of work I don't want to be doing. It's all infrastructure stuff, very little coding, and just... boring and frustrating. I don't have another job lined up, but I do have about 3 years savings... Not sure what I'm going to do... probably take some time off, could work on a couple side projects to see if I can turn them into anything, then.... who knows... maybe rope I guess...
/blog

Attached: 1620095801535.gif (220x197, 468.25K)

do the tech side projects, focus on something that you actually care about in the programming world. Normally I would say don't quit without something lined up but 3 years savings is more than enough

Any else one works with Salesforce here? Their platform is so inconsistent and buggy.

Been in IT support tier 2 for three months and I already feel like I'm not learning anything new. Best position to leap to at 6 months? Was thinking of just shooting for a higher paying tier 2.

user, most wageslave jobs don't involve programming. And being able to work with infrastructure is stupidly important in these days of cloud shit and having developers write cdk/terraform/whatever in a CI/CD pipeline.

For any job really you won't be spending all your time doing the thing you like. I'd say just try to refresh yourself. Go exercise, get physically exhausted and relax in a bath, drink, idk.

>>Did they schedule another one with you?
he said someone would reach out to me for the next steps

now is not the time to quit your job without another lined up

Why not stick it out until it's been 6 months at least? Feels weird saying this because I also wanted to quit before that long at my current job and people told me not to (which just annoyed me). I'm still here and it's slightly less bad. I still want to quit, but I could probably make it to a year if I had to. Still looking at other jobs in the meantime.

if i really were going to kill myself over a job i wouldn't be shitposting about it on Any Forums, but i'm pretty on the verge of it. i really don't know how i'd react, i'd probably burn my CS degree and give up on tech for good though.

i drank for the first time in years to cope with this feeling, i might start cutting myself again. i haven't felt this way in a long time

god damn it I hate SFDC so much.

you should name the company and the team that caused you distress as a fuck-you.

What's wrong champ?

cbd

>i drank for the first time in years to cope with this feeling, i might start cutting myself again
you sound like a fag
i hope your coworkers are bullying you in code review

would do absolutely nothing in the long run

i'm a shit programmer and i'm a complete failure and if i get put on a PIP i'm contemplating suicide

does that shit fuck up your lungs?

my code reviews get like 20+ comments and take days to get out the door so they pretty much grind my code to dust
i'm a failure of a programmer and i should just grab a gun and blow my head off

>my code reviews get like 20+ comments and take days to get out the door
Amazon?

Sup /twg/ rate my tech path thus far

>CS student with abysmal 2.1 GPA because I bombed lots of "core" classes
>Currently working two developer jobs during the summer
>One as a fullstack developer and the other as a frontent dev
>Have numerous side projects hosted on git, displayed on my resume
>Almost dropped out just to work, but 3 years in so might as well finish
>Very good at programming in C, I know JS as well, just a little iffy on backend stuff
>planning on taking a databases course next semester

thoughts?

google actually
company known for being impossible to get fired from. getting PIP at this place is basically the mark of a failed person

Isn’t the progression usually Help Desk > Network/Sys Admin/DevOps/Cloud shit?

Attached: E4A1DAB2-F8E2-498A-857E-2469BAB90190.png (1020x885, 1.88M)

>company known for being impossible to get fired from
because they're the hardest to get into
how did you get past the code review?
you're probably just getting hazed and have a lot to learn if you're a new hire

>code review
i meant interview

there are different forms
herb - smoke
oil - vape
tincture oil - drink a few(1-2) drops in water
gummy\caps - eat
powder - .5g in water
just start with tincture or powder
100% organic regular ass cbd
it will help with anxiety, mood, sleep, focus,etc
once u start to understand your needs more u can branch off to stuff like cbn cbg,etc
worst side effext is u might get a little sleepy
and in some deep breathing, meditation down the line
drink more water
get some sun
you'll feel better guranteed