My uni will be having us learn c++ as our introductory programing language in our 101 courses

My uni will be having us learn c++ as our introductory programing language in our 101 courses.

Is this a sign that I need to change schools? C++ is not used by serious developers anymore right? I was thinking HTML, CSS, and Javascript would be the main languages I'd be learning in a school that is worthwhile.

Can I even get a job by being experienced in c++? It just seems like a language for old people at this point

Attached: 1200px-ISO_C++_Logo.svg.png (1200x1349, 68.63K)

It is used widely *in certain applications* and learning it will be useful. However, it is a terrible first language. Learn something else on your own. Also, ask Any Forums or something idk.

>HTML, CSS and Java

Are you making websites, or actual code?

Do you even know what coding is? Fuck me, I worked in the art department, and the last piece of coding I did was in BASIC on an amstrad 464 circa 1987, and I know more about what coding is used for in programming than you.

How the fuck did you even get into a university?

Attached: deforest.jpg (482x482, 53.46K)

Not that guy but
>I know more about what coding is used for in programming than you.
Got me curious, what do you mean by that exactly?

Java is not javascript. Are you a retard?

No, he's basic.

I'm very experienced in python and could probably land a job with it if I wanted to. I just don't get why my school is forcing us to learn a dead outdated language like c++

Terrible choice.
You should be learning C.

Because understanding at least some of the hardware side is important. You should learn assembly as well. Low level programming is necessary for certain applications.
> Fuck Python. It will never be a real language.

> Fuck Python. It will never be a real language.
You are complete faggot.
Python is the future and OP is wasting his time learning any of the shit you suggested

If you want a job just learn TypeScript and maybe C#.

At least that's what they're all looking for around here.

You know what all those high performant python libraries you use are written in? CPP

C++ has uses in financial modelling and embedded software. Both can pay very highly, although it is niche.

Doesn't mean c++ isn't an old and outdated language though

HTML and CSS aren't programming languages, they're markup languages. Javascript is a solid choice, Typescript would be better. Python, Go, or arguably Kotlin for a backend language would also be decent. C# and Java are okay, just falling out of fashion for greenfields at the moment, but they'll be around for 30+ years to come.

>HTML
>CSS
>Javascript
>Programming

Okay kiddo. If you want to be a man, learn ASM.

Only thing I can ever see replacing CPP is rust, but then c will probably still be used for embedded applications for a very long time.

All kinda moot. Understanding algorithms, structure, managing complexity, etc. are what's important to learn. Switching languages after that is easy.
> Except Python, because fuck it.

one word. ZIG

Python is really THE language for data analysis, and AI/ML tasks. Along with a ton of backend work and most automation tool chains. You will never be a real woman

It doesn't matter, learning code logic is what you should be focused on, syntax and other bullshit varies from language to language and you'll learn more later

its all the same you'll learn whatever language your company wants once you're hired (if you're hired).

C and CPP are unique tho as they give direct memory control, so switching to any higher level language is pretty easy but the other way around is harder.

Found the guy making 36,000 as a principal developer at kohl's while being a full time discord mod

I work in aerospace, and c++ is everywhere. What do you wanna build some faggy website or write missile autopilot code?

>You will never be a real woman
Correct. Because I don't use Python.
> verification not required
Eh, I'll bite for the lulz. What uniquely sets Python apart for those tasks that other languages lack?
Correct. Which is why I advocated for learning low level programming (though more explicitly in previous posts).

>>I'm a dumbass that doesn't know c++ undergirds 90% of all software that exists today

Sure, go to a different school. Continue being a dumbass.

Whats the benefit of learning C?

Attached: Screenshot_20220504-163914_Chrome.jpg (1080x409, 241.82K)

>doesn’t uses r studio
Nothing personal kiddo

That was clearly written by a faggot with all the coding knowledge but no marketable experience.
Have fun moderating discord for a living.
>Brb making six fig with AWS while Any Forumstards seethe with their waifus

op said javascript anywayws

lol

This is the real answer. If you want to learn to code, learn C or C++ or a derivative like Rust that enables direct memory control.

if you don't learn it now, you'll never learn it and you will invariably be less prepared for interviews than others that do learn it. Once you understand all of the concepts of programming in C++, learning them in any other language is trivial.

High-level, low-level - the only real difference is direct memory access. If you just wanna be some fucking script kiddie, yeah, go learn a 'web language'. If you want serious employment as a developer and not some UI code monkey, learn C/C++.

Anybody that values their language over their time is a retard. Deliver what you have to with the least amount of work possible. IDGAF if its python or visual basic 6

>What uniquely sets Python apart for those tasks that other languages lack?
adoption

Obvious bait

>adoption
So just do it in js lmao. Got a real argument?

you should learn a real language like haskal, plenty of job opportunities

I do 160k base as a DA at a fangmuula. Please send more salt

And yet your TC is likely peanuts, defensive boi

didn't know js was the most used data analysis, AI, and machine learning language

Only retards are using Javascript.

Real tasks are made of Java or C++

You have crossed a Rubicon, good sir. ALL salt must be reserved for the singular purpose of destroying those filthy C*rthaginians.

Attached: carthago delenda est.jpg (290x400, 11.57K)

Yeah my uni had us learn c++ and assembly. They had us code our own assembler thing that converted our assembly code into machine code. Was that useful in my current job? No. But I do appreciate the wider understanding of what's happening at the lowest levels.

We also learned tons of languages I'll probably/hopefully never use like LISP, Fortran, and SML. That was all one class though where we'd just learn the basics of a language then move to the next.

lol java

objectively speaking, VB6 is a shitty language. You don't get the same amount of tooling as VB.NET (because of .NET framework) and the syntax is gawdawful.

Python is alright, but white space as code block separators is fucking insane unless you explicitly view whitespace as characters. YMMV.

I kinda like .NET Core, Java, or Node.js as a primary way of 'getting shit done' these days.
Xamarin is supposed to be good for mobile apps too, but meh.

> Pythonian with no reading comprehension
*yawn* Don't know why I expected any different. Later.

sounds pretty sweet, tbh

If.I could get paid my current salary yo write LISP all day, I would.

I take it you don't understand base contributes to TC

I talk with a lisp

This is what good Universities will do. Learning all of the underlying concepts may not seem useful at first, but rest assured, the first time you're debugging a problem at work, all of the pain you endured in school will start to make a lot more sense.

Javascript for end to end testing of UI is tight. Ez pz money putting manual testers out of a job.

C++ is gud. Legacy systems, gub'ment work. Pensions.

only trannies scream a bout how its dead since you cant make a shitty useless web app in 10 minutes with it. Try to learn as much as you can- all the languages are the same to learn just with different applications in business.

Byre felicia

Attached: giphy[1].gif (300x264, 1.93M)

As much as I hate JS as a language, this is the truth. It's flexible as fuck which is frustrating as shit to work with, but the entire internet basically runs on it.

>implying c++ isn't a tranny language