Is there a FOSS alternative to plex? Why am I being charged to stream anime from my own computer?

Is there a FOSS alternative to plex? Why am I being charged to stream anime from my own computer?

Attached: flat750x075f-pad750x1000f8f8f8.u2-750x800.jpg (750x800, 39.45K)

Attached: 2022-07-22-204220_864x76_scrot.png (864x76, 7.99K)

Jellyfin. Just does what you'd expect it to do, without harvesting your data and trying to sell you bloat.

Attached: Pi3hzoPi_400x400.jpg (400x400, 9.32K)

weeb tax
this or

thanks this sounds good fuck plex jews

This. Jellyfin is fantastic software.

it's called bittorrent client, you don't need some shitty stockholm syndrome induced netflix-lookalike clone you fucking faggot

Why the hell do you need some complex piece of software anyways?
Just make a Windows-compatible network share and play the files via network with no transcoding required. I've been doing this since the XBMC days and it works great.

all of my anime is in extremely high quality x264 and FLAC audio so I need to transcode to stream it fast enough I think

in most cases you can directplay, but it's nice to have the option to transcode should the source/dest network not be fast enough.

metadata management is nice too, can't imagine going back to clicking through folders to play my media with a fucking tv remote

Even just directly streaming a Bluray without any re-encoding wouldn't cap out a gigabit connection

have you considered getting better hardware

it's the upload speed not the hardware. I'm thinking of moving it all to a seedbox

Plex is free, though.

how can you possibly browse Any Forums and not have heard of jellyfin, is this a bot post? i don't get it

plex is free, are you super fucking retarded?

Just waiting for WebOS 5.x support.

This thread has me confused

I thought Plex was free, and I thought you could set it up to play files over a network rather than internet?

Attached: 1983 - Robert Mathews listens to the preachings of white supremacy at a rally of the Neo-Nazi Aryan Nations in Spokane, Washington, June.jpg (820x900, 273.3K)

Yes, but there are some features that are paywalled. It's fine for streaming to a htpc or whatever, but I believe that streaming over the internet or to a phone (even on the same network) costs money.

last time I tried Jellyfin, it wasn't even close to parity with Plex's media player.

I use infuse on mobile to not have to pay plex's fee

they charge for using their mobile player apps

that's literally not what you asked, you asked if plex was free, it is. if you want extra features you need to use jellyfin, or pay for plex. that's it