I just bought a sealed new 30gb hard drive that's about 20 years old for an old pentium machine I'm putting together...

I just bought a sealed new 30gb hard drive that's about 20 years old for an old pentium machine I'm putting together, and it won't even spin up. What would cause a brand new hard drive that's never been opened and has been sitting sealed in an antistatic bag to not work?

Attached: IMG_1635.jpg (4032x3024, 2.66M)

>DOA

But what component could even cause this? I looked at the pcb and it looks perfect. I thought electronic components only failed from use, not just from sitting unused for a long time.

I'm confused how did you find the old ide cables. I thank jesus sata happened every day.

dead caps probably

It came with an ide cable.

Could be stiction, give it a circular shake when starting up to free it up maybe? I don't think drives that new are subject to the phenomena but it's worth a try before chucking it.

>buy a drive that's had its heads sitting on a drive platter for 20 years, be shocked it wont lift off
>buy a drive that's had 20 years to fall off things and be shuffled around, be shocked when it doesn't work
There are loads of other options.

The only capacitors it has are small rectangular surface mount ones. Aren't those supposed to last forever?

capacitors have a self life

It's not the motor or anything mechanical. I tested the pcb with a multimeter and the pins that go to the drive motor aren't outputting any power when it's connected to power and the computer is on.

The read/write head might be gummed up.

easy. operator error

Attached: 1655595116038.jpg (2048x1536, 527.53K)

It is a 20 year old 20GB HDD user... They didn't tell you?

Tell me what? I bought it because I thought a brand new one would last longer than one that's been used for 20 years, and this motherboard doesn't support anything larger than 32gb.

>WD
>DOA
yup checks out
btw user do yourself a favor and fall for the IDE2CF meme, it is worth it

No that's retarded. I'm looking to build an authentic computer from the late 90s, not some frankensteined abomination with modern technology.

>cf cards
>modern technology
Yeah, I laughed. You did too.

Attached: 1607083997352.jpg (1920x1080, 508.91K)

CompactFlash literally has an IDE interface.

It's a modern device that adapts something that was never meant to be used as a hard drive. I want an actual hard drive, with the slow seek speed and sound it makes. If I wanted to just have a fast computer running an ssd I would just run an emulator on my pc.

>Aren't those supposed to last forever?
oh no no no no no NO

>never meant to be used as a hard drive
See .

retarded is buying "old new stock" in 2022 and expect it to work or be reliable like we're still in 2002

>compactflash
>fast
I laughed. You did too.

Attached: 1310483412100.jpg (413x395, 60.7K)

I lived through the 90s and 2000s and I've never heard of compactflash being a replacement for a hard drive during that time.

It didn't happen often, because you could still get