This is how you """install""" things on MacOS

this is how you """install""" things on MacOS

Attached: installing_mac[1].gif (678x652, 2.68M)

Thanks now i'll never purchase a mac.

Attached: 1654105680822.png (602x538, 206.75K)

What's the matter Lintoddler? Too easy? Too quick to setup? Doesn't make you feel smart enough?

Seems pretty intuative.

I've had to use mac a on a regular basis lately. The first few times I had to do this confused the shit out of me.

On ubuntu all I have to do is click the .deb and put my password, and that was it

the fact you see such an intuitive and easy method as dumb is why there will never be a year of the loonix desktop

Attached: 1653426865291.jpg (374x334, 32.14K)

>the fact that you don't expect your file manager to do more than it is told is is why le bad...
guess I'm also retarded for not expecting my computer to send data about me to apple lol

How is this more intuitive than picrel? Inb4 muh winfag, it's just the best example I could find.

Where's the version control?
Where's the changelog?
How do you downgrade on a bad version?
How do you keep concurrent versions?

Forgot pic

Attached: inf_install_prompt_win8_pgm03a.png (523x247, 13.73K)

SIR DO NOT REDEEM VERSION CONTROL

Not if it's a .pkg tho

Any Forums will hate this but then turn around and shill appimages

iToddlers BTFO!

>Windows: Click->install
>Linux: Click->install
>OS X: Click->computers tell you to manually copy the install files yourself
iTODDLERS ____

Lots of mac software has windows-like installs.

The drag and drop type is usually for software that avoids spreading shit all over the computer (the "app" in the Applications directory is actually a folder that contains everything the software needs).

Attached: 1639641431119.png (625x440, 66.75K)

>drag

W... why would you do that over an "install" button you could just click or hit enter?

Attached: 1593388621037.png (1200x560, 47.17K)

Homebrew chads rise up

or you can use the shittiest package manager known to man, brew
or macports (never used it might be ok)

if you self-install it installs the new version alongside the old and then you run the one you want, so unless you delete the old version to downgrade you just use the old version. if you update or auto-update then it overwrites the old version and gets rid of it.

Because you can actually drag it wherever you want. The Application folder is just a suggestion, it will install in any directory you drag it to, no matter what.

To have a "install" button, first you'd need an actual installer.
If you introduce an installer with just a single install button, it would then choose the directory of the installation by itself. Otherwise it would need a proper hud to help you select the directory.

The question is, why? The whole software is a self-contained folder that you can place wherever you like in your PC. What you're seeing is not an installer, it's more like a compressed folder that acts like a .iso does on Windows.
It's functionally the same as your average installer except whoever made the software wasn't forced to waste time on it, and you can still install it wherever you like without a needlessly busy hud.

I know it sounds strange considering how clunky and awkward drag and drop is often on windows, but the whole macos system (and its software) is extremely optimized for that mechanic, it feels very natural for a mac user.

Dumb as hell

the one's that do usually also have releases on windows. the pure osx applications will almost always have the drag-and-drop solution though

Gosh this is actually embarrassing lmao