/twg/ - Tech Workers General

(Formerly /tjg/ - Tech Jobs General)

Thread for those of us who actually work in tech to tell workplace stories, complain about coworkers and management, share advice on how to progress in careers, and discuss the technologies we use at our cagies.

Don't forget to make fun of and bully any and all NEETs!

>Getting Started
Want a tech job, but have no degree, skills, or experience? Read these before ruining this thread with basic questions:
christopherming.com/tech-jobs-no-experience/
learntocodewith.me/posts/tech-jobs-no-experience/
acilearning.com/blog/7-tips-for-getting-into-it-with-zero-experience
firsthand.co/blogs/innovate-with-influence-global-high-tech/how-to-get-a-tech-job-with-no-experience
indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/easiest-tech-jobs-to-get-into
Come back once you have informed questions about interviewing, salary negotiation, etc...

>Interview Prep
leetcode.com/discuss/general-discussion/460599/blind-75-leetcode-questions
neetcode.io/
novoresume.com/career-blog/star-interview-questions
blog.interviewing.io/

>Resume Stuff
careercup.com/resume

>Salary Stuff
freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/
fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-negotiation-guide/
codesubmit.io/blog/the-evolution-of-developer-salaries/
levels.fyi/

>How to Respond to Recruiter Spam
pastebin.com/WX4b62Jx

>Layoffs
layoffs.fyi/

>IRC Channel
#Any Forumstwg on Rizon
kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.rizon.net/#Any Forumstwg (web client)

Please suggest more links to add to the lists

last thread

Attached: 153838373835.jpg (1125x623, 90.51K)

I have work in 2 minutes please kill me

I'm in a meeting right now, we're doing refinement. I just unmute myself every 20 minutes and say something semi-related

Make a ticket and i'll do it next sprint

I just hate working
I just do

Attached: The-dUDE-3-777x437.jpg (777x437, 62.34K)

Fuck programming and fuck computers. I hate this job.

Would you rather work in a factory or warehouse? You have no idea how many miserable wagies would love to switch positions with you

There's always a worse job out there. I really feel for them, don't get me wrong, but you can't just go "in Africa you wouldn't have anything to eat" mode every time you're sick of something or you're tired, you know?
Yes, I'm aware I'm a privileged prick. I still fucking hate my job.

>co-workers and clients that are so bad at troubleshooting networks that I feel like I'm being gaslighted when I have to help them

Attached: 1612038177983.jpg (500x375, 40.95K)

>people hate their jobs
Why? It's max comfy and we are getting a lot of money from it.

i know this exact feel

Do boot campers get SWE jobs or just crappy web dev jobs?

fair enough, I find that that kind of thinking helps me out sometimes, but you're right that it doesn't invalidate your experiences. What do you have about your job anyway? If the workload is balanced, personally, I find it fun, just solving puzzles. But I work in a pretty relaxed environment

they get crappy web dev jobs that pay more than any swe job

I'd rather be doing something more enjoyable with my time. Ride a bike, read a book, play the piano, I can think of a lot of things I would rather do than work for 8 hours every single fucking day.

I used to deliver parcels. That was the best job ever. Unfortunately it was part-time.

What do you hate*

Yeah this is what I was thinking since picking up this skill set shouldn't be as intensive as trying to become an actual dev, but I'm not sure if the comp will get me to mid 200s and hopefully into 300 or 400 range down the road. Do you think it's worth pursuing online courses to learn SQL/data analytics or is a formal education the best approach?

MBA is likely not necessary but my parents want me to get one and they will be covering the cost, so I figured it's the easiest route to getting where I want to be rather than trying to job hop into a new industry in a new role that I have no direct experience in.

Not him but maybe it is because I am autistic and my brain doesn't shut off. Solving a puzzle is quite a draining experience for me as I think of billions of edge cases and possibilities. Solving puzzle for others may be more relaxing.

>tfw boomer co-workers call anything computer-related 'machine learning'

Attached: 1657195988726.gif (568x396, 1.34M)

SWE IS webdev. EVERYTHING is webdev in some way nowadays, retards.

>Went into the office yesterday for my weekly visit
>Got drunk at the end of the day with the rest of the team
>I finish off both the untouched large left over pizzas
>Shitting out a metric fuck ton
My arse hurts so much

here in eastern europe we're gonna get euro as currency really soon, prices of food are basically the same as in germany, for some stuff its even higher yet if you're working as a junior-to-mid web dev for 1300 euros net a month you should consider yourself doing good
i fucking HATE it

Exactly, out of FAANG only Apple isn't a primarily internet company. And don't >> me about Google doing ML and all that. Sure, but they're still primarily a web company. Web is not just wordpress

Don't worry bro, it will get worse.

broo what about google tho???

Sounds like you don't hate your job but work

>peer who couldnt get a SWE grad job settles for "developer" job and insists, emotionally, that they are the same
many such cases, i'd try to throw him a bone if he didnt insist on this, but it sounds like he doesnt need it..

yes i know, when euro comes prices will skyrocket for no sensible reason at all, yet wages are shit
i just dont fucking understand it for the life of me why are we getting assblasted so hard like this
rent is going through the roof also

I work remotely and I'm seriously considering paying for a co-work place. I just can't focus while on my home, am I retarded? I feel like if I was in public, I would be less inclined to browse Any Forums and other time wasting stuff.

>Sounds like you don't hate your job but work
Yeah well, they go hand in hand don't they? But yes, I hate work. Or at least I hate the way we treat work.
No one works for 8 hours, why should I be connected for 8 hours? Why can't we drop the facade?

Attached: 1636463585725.jpg (875x1225, 139.73K)

As a SWE aren't you safe from these issues due to your higher salary?

when and if i get a remote job, i will definitely consider getting a coworking spot probably for 1 day a week
just to get out of the apartment and to see some people, yknow? maybe get some work done in the process

If you're posting in this thread you're enough of a loser or dumbfuck that you don't get the systems programming jobs. It's that simple. No one here is working on the next macOS. Internet plumber or frontend nigger is all you get.