How seriously concerned should we be about Pluton?

How seriously concerned should we be about Pluton?
Obviously everything you're doing on Windows is logged and sent to Microsoft. That's known.
But if you're using a Linux distro, is your processor handing over information to Microsoft? What if you have both a Windows SSD and Linux Distro SSD on the same motherboard as this processor?
This is obviously very new tech, but when can we expect certain answers to these questions?

Attached: ZwVORCZ.jpg (1400x1050, 217.05K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I wonder the same. I daily drive Linux but there's still power going to my other SSD with Windows 10 on it. To add to your question; can the glowies cross hardware and pozz my install?

It livestreams everything you do to the NSA, CIA, Interpol, UN, Scotland Yard, the Space Force, KGB, and RCMP. Microsoft confirmed this at a conference yesterday: youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

what the fuck is pluton?

holy crap ballmer just came out and admitted it on stage

Its the 8th planet from the sun

pluto isn't a planet

equivalent of amd platform security processor, something in future cpus like ryzen 7000s made for "security" even though we all know it's for spying

does this mean i have the option to avoid it by using amd until something better comes along?

>Obviously everything you're doing on Windows is logged and sent to Microsoft. That's known.
citation needed
>But if you're using a Linux distro, is your processor handing over information to Microsoft?
Any Forums - Technology
Any Forums - Technology

>Any Forums - Technology
dunno what this means, is this a yes or no you fag

The real threat is hardware attestation and microsoft paying enough people to say that "if it wasn't one of MICROSOFT'S users, using MICROSOFT'S operating system, with MICROSOFT'S keys in the TPM, then you can't trust that it's a real person. Just jook at what deepmind and all those other bots which require a datacenter's worth of hardware are capable of!"

>How seriously concerned should we be about Pluton?
It's yet another black box integrated into your PC.
I fear this might be used to do copy protection.
>But if you're using a Linux distro
user, it's over.

And you aren't human.

it means that you are retarded

Very

GAY

It's a TPM that's part of the CPU and not the motherboard or a separate module. It is genuinely much more secure for applications that TPMs were designed for, e.g. blocking rootkitted devices from connecting to a corporate network and cryptolocking or otherwise infecting the whole thing.

What people are worried about is that widespread availability of TPMs will mean that more services will require authenticating with them. This already happens on mobile devices, where you can't use banking apps or stream 4K Netflix if your device is rooted (i.e. the secure boot chain is disrupted and detected by the TPM equivalent). So you may lose access to some services if you don't use an approved operating system (not running in a VM) with certain superuser functionalities locked at boot time. In the initial stages, once Pluton has penetrated the market, this almost certainly means that Linux users will need to dual boot with Windows or have a separate Windows or macOS machine for these services - unless Linux gets support for it by then. It may have an impact on things like Webrip availability and being able to cheat in online games.

Pluton is NOT something that can spy on you or enable remote management of your machine. Your CPU probably already has circuitry that can do that (IME or PSP), and nobody really knows whether those things are fused off or disabled in firmware or whatever on consumer SKUs (but they are ostensibly supposed to be limited to more expensive professional SKUs for companies that want these features on their computers).

ah ok, then it sounds like i don't have to care at all. i already dual boot, linux on one drive where 99.99% of my stuff runs, and separate windows disk for gaymes because windows fucking sucks COMPLETE DICK. i just wondered if linux was going to somehow be pushed out, but since the answer is no then i don't give a single crap

Pluton can't stop you from doing anything you want to your own PC. But yes, if you already dual boot a clean OS and a pozzed OS then nothing will change for you.

>But if you're using a Linux distro, is your processor handing over information to Microsoft?
No. It's basically just a TPM. But it might prevent you from booting Linux in the future.

>i just wondered if linux was going to somehow be pushed out
To begin with, as the user you responded to said, the worry is that more and more services might require TPM authentication, which means there would be a growing number of services that Linux users would be pushed out of, which might be a big enough problem in itself.

That being said, there's also the risk that Secure Boot keys will be locked in the future. Microsoft is already doing that on UEFI ARM devices, which means you literally cannot install an alternative OS on them.

>Pluton is NOT something that can spy on you or enable remote management of your machine
just curious, how can you prove this? is this in the whitepaper? or has this been tested already and proven out?

>which means there would be a growing number of services that Linux users would be pushed out of
can you give me an example? the reason i ask is that i literally have all the programs i need installed already, so what would an example of something that i would be locked out of?

Pluton is basically a TPM, just built into the processor. Remote management is not part of a TPM's functionality. The processor may or may not contain other, hidden/unknown functionality that does remote management, but in that case, it wouldn't be part of Pluton, and it could just as well already be there.