What's the deal with WebP format? No one is adopting it...

What's the deal with WebP format? No one is adopting it. Google forces Chrome to convert most of the images into webp when saving. I had to install an extension just to be able to save the images as JPG, PNG, etc to use on sites and software.

Attached: WebP.png (1541x1213, 91.38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/save-image-as-type/gabfmnliflodkdafenbcpjdlppllnemd?hl=en
hongkiat.com/blog/save-webp-images-as-jpg-or-png/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

webp's probably include some glowie tracking shit in them thats why

I am downloading a lot of JFIFs. Dunno if it is Chromium making this happen.

>No one is adopting it.
what
>Google forces Chrome to convert most of the images into webp when saving.
what
>I had to install an extension just to be able to save the images as JPG, PNG, etc to use on sites and software.
what
>webp's probably include some glowie tracking shit in them thats why
what
i get dumber every time i visit this board

Attached: dude.jpg (224x220, 41.85K)

>No one is adopting it.
THEN WHY THE FUCK DO I KEEP RUNNING INTO IT

FUCK JEWGLE

I use a shortcut to convert WebP into PNG. Problem fix'd.

>No one is adopting it.
Aka hiromoot not adopting it

I'll tell you why you keep seeing it. Google invented it, and to force everyone to use it, they downrank pages that don't use it. They will knock a couple of points on Lighthouse for that, so you end up below competitors. Now you're forced to use it.

Fuck off lil jon

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/save-image-as-type/gabfmnliflodkdafenbcpjdlppllnemd?hl=en

Yes. Why save webp if the sites dont support it. Windows doesn't even render a thumbnail for WebP.

>They will knock a couple of points on Lighthouse for that
That's some shady shit

webp is such trash it is just an example of a big out of touch executive able to make such decisions because he has access to the board and good connections in big tech. If you want to save on resources and space... REMOVE JAVASCRIPT and all the other tracking bloat. Pretty damn simple if you ask me. Just look at reddit. It went from using the same amount of resources as an irc chatroom or Usenet board from 20 years ago... To being this disgusting monstrosity of bloat and trackers up the ass.

Attached: 1657553567371.jpg (780x660, 142.7K)

>admitting to using reddit
looooool

WEBP can do lossless animations with more than 256 colors and can do better lossless compression than PNG at times, it's genuinely not a bad format besides it being based off of VP8

cute autist

Exists solely to prevent you from accessing the original uploaded file. Fuck webPISS

Check this shit out:

>4. Spoof user agent
Following up to the above method, you don’t necessarily have to switch browsers to download WEBP images in JPG/PNG format. You can simply spoof user agent of your Chrome or Opera browser so the website will think you are browsing from an unsupported browser and load JPG or PNG image instead of WEBP.

hongkiat.com/blog/save-webp-images-as-jpg-or-png/

>image.webp.enabled
in a non cucked browser you set that false and move on with life

Retards post useful info there instead of a proper mailing list, what tf do you expect people to do? At least there're alternative frontends for it still.

yet another reminder that JXL is the only acceptable future and webp fucking bows. browser support and last parts of the reference software should be ready by the end of the year and software decode speed is on-par with current .jpg

Attached: Generation Loss – JPEG, WebP, JPEG XL, AVIF.webm (1280x720, 2.66M)

Attached: jxl.jpg (2268x2268, 288.96K)

Dam. WebP just as bad as JPEG

JPEG XL pure gigachad

Attached: gigachad.jpg (500x500, 41.42K)

>What's the deal with WebP format?
When you make a video codec, you basically HAVE to make an image format at the same time, for part of the I-frame compression.
So with that, you may as well release it as a standalone image format too, which is also why several other image formats exist too.

Attached: 1414389577537.jpg (500x330, 34.41K)

Neither firefox nor any chromium browser (enabling a flag doesn't count) support it, when support is added to those browsers then it will make sense to consider adding it as a file option.

it's literally because Jews don't want you to be able to save and spread memes

Attached: 1653672650977.jpg (359x335, 8.45K)

>No one is adopting it
and for good reason: it's shit.
>JPEG XL pure gigachad
it's also incredibly unpopular and can't get any mainstream support despite its benefits.

YYYAAAAAAAAYUUUUUHH!!!

>Google forces Chrome to convert most of the images into webp when saving
That's not true. The CDNs are sniffing browser headers and making .jpeg's into .webp's under the hood. So Chrome gets a .webp because it advertises webp support

>it's also incredibly unpopular
nigger they just finished finalizing the format within the last like 6 months and the reference software isn't done. this is like if some fag was complaining about how no one uses anything h265 like months after the format was frozen and before x265 hit 1.0.
likely by the end of the year. I'm just laying the groundwork, and with how easy decoding is and the fact that we actually did just get vp9/opus I'm hoping it could be added in a timely manner and not like 2030.

Attached: file.png (2560x2850, 732.68K)

Once Hydrus supports JXL I'm converting most of my shit and just watch the disk usage drop.

>i get dumber every time i visit this board
It shows.

lel

This was all part of the plan