/fglt/ – Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ – Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
– Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: Susan.jpg (1080x1340, 159.65K)

Discord is tied to tencent

pic made me lol, thanks

tl;dr
Does resizing a root partition ruin it, or is resizing a normal proceedure, given sufficient space?

why do you invest literally thousands of hours to be familiar with a meme OS instead of doing literally anything else with your time?

Does the bootflaged 1MiB empty type partition without filesystem or mountpoint require a specific location? (It can't be first, since since I have 2 where it's not, but maybe it can't be last..?)

Attached: 1658419749.png (591x58, 10.83K)

I have never heard about needing such a thing. Whether you need a bootable flag at all depends on your bootloader (syslinux needs it, grub doesn't IIRC). Pic related, my PC using MBR and syslinux.

Attached: Screenshot_20220721-181441.png (720x1280, 146.05K)

My guess:
Resizing (editing right boundary) is probably fine since all you'd have to do is change the value regarding how big the partition is without touching any of the data.
Resizing and moving (editing left boundary) may potentially be problematic since you'd have to actually move the data.
I would assume that software like GParted would warn you about this though.

You don't really need the grub partition if you left enough free space before the first partition. fdisk does that automatically.
Unless you have a separate /boot partition, you should flag your / as bootable. It's not strictly necessary, but some boards refuse to properly boot in BIOS mode without it.
Check if there's a megabyte or two free before the first partition with fdisk -l /dev/sdb
Extending a filesystem is normal. Shrinking is very rare.
You have to tell the filesystem separately that the partition/volume under it has been extended.
For btrfs to command is btrfs filesystem resize max /mountpoint and for ext4 it's resize2fs /dev/sdXY

Which GTK DE comes the closest to KDE Plasma in terms of features.

MBR partition table on Void Linux supposedly requires it. I certainly cannot toggle the boot flag on a non-running disk's partitions. Yours being 83 is curious, and just shows how little I understand about partitions and filesystems. I've had /boot partitions, but the documentation suggested they weren't necessary with modern hardware. cfdisk, at least, doesn't toggle the bootflag, and I'd bet my ass cheeks the c is for curses and that it's built on top of or using fdisk.
I'm scared I soon won't at all be able to boot. And I've never resized a disk before.
I deleted the unused swap partitions just now, and created another bootflaged 1MiB empty partition at the start.

Honestly, what isn't tied to tencent?
God I hate that puppet company.

What bootleader are you using. That is what decides if you need the bootable flag. If you don't have a /boot partition, the second stage of the bootloader gets installed to the VBR of the / partition, so if your bootloader requires it, mark that one as bootable.
83 is the partition type, not strictly necessary, kinda like file extensions. Gives a hint to the os as to what the partition is, but linux ignores it and instead checks the header.

GRUB 2.06
Smashing b on cfdisk whilst booting from a usb install (that I keep in case I fuck up the software on the primary drive) didn't do squat.

So is 5.20 gonna be the next LTS kernel?

Attached: 1642379002923.png (1025x1025, 720.68K)

I WASTED SO MUCH TIME INSTALLING ARCH THINKING IT WOULD FIX THIS SHIT IM GONNA GO INSANE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHAT THE FUCK IS CAUSING THIS

hey at least im getting 100 fps more in minecraft now wish i could actually play it

I wanna sniff brat ass.

Attached: 1658422988457.gif (480x270, 885.15K)

What distros keep proprietary software in separate repos (like Debian does)?

Fedora, openSUSE and Ubuntu all do that.
Fedora has rpm-fusion, openSUSE has packman and Ubuntu has it's universe/multiverse etc. repos that most variants of it just activate by default.

YuruYuri's are meant for headpats not sniffs

I had a look at the Grub stage one code amd I can't see any part that would check for the bootable flag. Is grub even installed on the SSD?

To the user who helped me with my RTL8188EUS Realteak problem: Thx!
I manage to get intenet using usb tethering (didnt even know that was possible).
The other user said the drivers were supposed to be in the kernel already but they dont seem to work. Pic related.

Attached: wifi.png (1920x1080, 1.21M)

never change, Any Forums

Attached: 1599896890812.png (1054x1080, 538.84K)

To answer your question, most likely yes.