This is actually genius. Why don’t expensive components track hours of usage like storage devices do?

youtu.be/gJjq8g8qFPk

This is actually genius. Why don’t expensive components track hours of usage like storage devices do?

Attached: 84748589-08D0-4888-A94B-835514D5A055.jpg (2048x1536, 1.36M)

Odometer fraud is extremely easy to do and is a major problem with used cars because the risk of getting caught is low while the reward is easily doubling or tripling the value of the car to a non-savvy buyer, which is nearly everyone.

Mostly because there would be exactly zero utility in doing so since they are non-mechanical and therefore the power-on time has little to no bearing on their functional lifespan.

>major problem with used cards
made in what decade??

All of them? Even if it's not a physical readout, if you have physical access to the ECU, you can reflash the rewritable storage area to say any mileage you want, the auto industry hasn't "innovated" the field of trusted computing with signed firmware garbage like intel, Nvidia and AMD have.

Not many are going to go trough that effort to sell their shittbox.
ECU flashing is a pretty esoteric thing with each make needing it's own tools. Some models store milage in both the ECU and cluster with each being exclusive to the other.

>This is actually genius
i have bad news for you: it's not an original idea and various solutions have existed for many decades.

I did it to mine in 5 minutes with a $20 chinkshit scanner (did it after making a new key just to see if it was easy, I'll never sell my beloved shitbox)

What would be the point
stop buying used garbage

Don't like this guy. Paid corsair sponsor and it infects everything he talks about.

>non-mechanical
Except HDDs, which do have "odometers"

To be fair you don't have it on things like GPU, motherboards, etc
It'd be useful for assessing how much use something has but it could also be used to deny warrenties by being able to add stipulations on use.

"Soild state" devices aren't infallible. A GPU actually does have mechanical wear from thermal cycling as well as silicon degradation from use.

>silicon degradation
Is that what they're calling heat damage these days?

the sponsors of youtubers taints all of them and everything they have to say. youtube has turned into commercial television broadcasting but at a community station level of professionalism.

>but it could also be used to deny warrenties by being able to add stipulations on use.
wouldn't work like that because it would come into conflict with various strict consumer laws that some countries have in place. having your warranty denied because someone looked at diagnostics data and concluded that "you're using it wrong" (C)(TM)(R) Apple, even though you're using it for what it was built for, would suck cocks.

sorry I was just being manipulative and knew that would get you to explain
have great fear that my car wasn't really a 100k mile gem and actually a rollback that I paid 8k for.
still love it anyways.
just wish I had money and time...

Project Alvarium

components where this matters already do
like your hdd's and ssd's already keep track of things like hours run, start/stop cycles, bytes written, etc

things like cpus and motherboards don't really wear out with usage, that's the difference, using them for 10 years vs. keeping them in a box for 10 years has negligable difference in wear, unlike something like a hdd

>heat damage
More like excessive voltages breaking shit down. Auto-overclocking "boost" is a mistake. Factory OC is a mistake. A desperate attempt to one-up the competition that plays well with planned obsolescence, as they expect users to replace their hardware every few years anyway.

Both AMD and Intel at this point have their chips at their limit out the factory, there's no sane headroom for OC. Then retards encouraged by "influencers" and motherboard manufacturers go and try to overclock it further, and there's the pervasive notion the solution to instability or errors is giving chips even more voltage rather than scaling back the fucking OC (GOTTA GET THEM BENCHMARK NUMBERS BRO). And so shit degrades until eventual failure.

Fuck anyone that does liquid nitrogen or other "extreme OC" shit btw, literally part of the problem.

Did I go back in time? Every Panasonic laptop I've used already keeps track of power on hours at the BIOS level. It looks like pic related.

Attached: 5ed05fe3b4ac998a6e82d966a3a6ef96bcb29731[1].jpg (1984x1488, 436.44K)